Cascade vs. Cornersville

FridayMainEvent

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cole twins are both good pitchers and complement each other well. They have a couple of others who haven't had much work, a senior lefty who has been hurt, and a tall younger pitcher who is a freshman I think. Who knows they might use them since this is not a district game? They definitely have some options when it comes to who is pitching.

The Cole twins are both good pitchers and complement each other well. They have a couple of others who haven't had much work, a senior lefty who has been hurt, and a tall younger pitcher who is a freshman I think. Who knows they might use them since this is not a district game? They definitely have some options when it comes to who is pitching.

Thanks for the info! From what I can gather, TORI WOLAVER, the shortstop and Jessica King are two of their better hitters. Don't know much else about their lineup. Savannah Cole (the righty) would be considered their Number #1 pitcher I'm guessing. Like you said, they may opt to use one of their lesser used pitchers for this non-district contest if they are planning on playing in any tourney's this weekend. I hope it turns out to be a good game. I know MrNoitAll is pulling for us down deep... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Thanks for the info! From what I can gather, TORI WOLAVER, the shortstop and Jessica King are two of their better hitters. Don't know much else about their lineup. Savannah Cole (the righty) would be considered their Number #1 pitcher I'm guessing. Like you said, they may opt to use one of their lesser used pitchers for this non-district contest if they are planning on playing in any tourney's this weekend. I hope it turns out to be a good game. I know MrNoitAll is pulling for us down deep...

Although there is a Jessica King on the team, she is usually used as a courtesy runner. You may be thinking of Sarah King. Like most other teams, the line up is full of girls who hit well. It seems like someone different steps up every game.

Although there is a Jessica King on the team, she is usually used as a courtesy runner. You may be thinking of Sarah King. Like most other teams, the line up is full of girls who hit well. It seems like someone different steps up every game.

You are correct, I did mean Sarah King. I wasn't able to gather much information on your team, but I did read that she had hit a homerun against Shelbyville in their first matchup.

You are correct, I did mean Sarah King. I wasn't able to gather much information on your team, but I did read that she had hit a homerun against Shelbyville in their first matchup.

Sarah has had multiple homeruns,not sure how many. I believe a total of 5 girls have hit homeruns this season. There are two or three more that are capable and have in previous seasons. Of course, you never know what each day may bring. It should be a great game. By the way, we don't seem to "save" pitchers. Although the Cole twins share the majority of pitching time, we have three other pitchers that can get the job done. I would not be surprised to see any of them start today's game.

The lefty that Cornersville pitched last night did an outstanding job. Our girls couldn't get a handle on her at all. The senior catcher who called that game also did a great job. Cascade had one terrible inning on defense where they gave up 6 unearned runs with absolutely horrible defense, but it wouldn't of mattered even if you took that inning away. We couldn't hit their pitching at all. A couple of things that are killing Cascade is the inability to see good live pitching on a regular basis. Within District 9, we only face two quality pitchers, one from Boyd and one from Forrest. Since we only have one pitcher, we can't pitch her for batting practice much because she is needed to pitch all our games. We can't play tournaments because we only have one pitcher. If you set a pitching machine out there, we can play with anybody, but when you throw in the ability to change direction and speed of pitches, we are in trouble. Hopefully we will develop a good relationship with former players such as Katie Jackson and Kelly Wilson to name a couple that could come back to the school on occasion and throw some batting practice. This would do more to help our hitting than anything. Coach Austin does an outstanding job of teaching mechanics in hitters, but he doesn't have the ability to simulate what we are seeing in games because of our lack of depth in pitching.

I don't blame any of the coaches at our school for our hitting problems. I think they do a great job given the circumstances. We should of been developing young pitchers at Cascade 10 years ago to be pitching today, but unfortunately, slowpitch softball has always been predominant in Bedford County and we are only now seeing the swing toward fastpitch. We only started a division of fastpitch softball for girls under the age of 12, 3 years ago in the local Shelbyville Rec. league. Unfortunately the age groups for this league aren't setup very well. They have had a 12-16 age division for a few years, but after starting a 9-11 division up 3 years ago, the pitching isn't getting developed. I coached one of the first teams in the younger division and had no girls on the team who had ever pitched. I started developing a couple of 11 year olds, but they were forced to move up and play with 16 year olds the following year so obviously they weren't ready to pitch at that level. I begged the board members to leave the 11 year olds down another season to allow them to continue to develop their pitching skills, but was over-ruled. You can't put a 12 year old girl who has only pitched 1 or 2 years up against juniors in high school and expect them to be successful. Also you have girls that have been pitching in these age groups for several years, so if you take mound time away from them to work with the younger girls, you'll have Momma raising cane on the sideline. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough.

The lefty that Cornersville pitched last night did an outstanding job. Our girls couldn't get a handle on her at all. The senior catcher who called that game also did a great job. Cascade had one terrible inning on defense where they gave up 6 unearned runs with absolutely horrible defense, but it wouldn't of mattered even if you took that inning away. We couldn't hit their pitching at all. A couple of things that are killing Cascade is the inability to see good live pitching on a regular basis. Within District 9, we only face two quality pitchers, one from Boyd and one from Forrest. Since we only have one pitcher, we can't pitch her for batting practice much because she is needed to pitch all our games. We can't play tournaments because we only have one pitcher. If you set a pitching machine out there, we can play with anybody, but when you throw in the ability to change direction and speed of pitches, we are in trouble. Hopefully we will develop a good relationship with former players such as Katie Jackson and Kelly Wilson to name a couple that could come back to the school on occasion and throw some batting practice. This would do more to help our hitting than anything. Coach Austin does an outstanding job of teaching mechanics in hitters, but he doesn't have the ability to simulate what we are seeing in games because of our lack of depth in pitching.

I don't blame any of the coaches at our school for our hitting problems. I think they do a great job given the circumstances. We should of been developing young pitchers at Cascade 10 years ago to be pitching today, but unfortunately, slowpitch softball has always been predominant in Bedford County and we are only now seeing the swing toward fastpitch. We only started a division of fastpitch softball for girls under the age of 12, 3 years ago in the local Shelbyville Rec. league. Unfortunately the age groups for this league aren't setup very well. They have had a 12-16 age division for a few years, but after starting a 9-11 division up 3 years ago, the pitching isn't getting developed. I coached one of the first teams in the younger division and had no girls on the team who had ever pitched. I started developing a couple of 11 year olds, but they were forced to move up and play with 16 year olds the following year so obviously they weren't ready to pitch at that level. I begged the board members to leave the 11 year olds down another season to allow them to continue to develop their pitching skills, but was over-ruled. You can't put a 12 year old girl who has only pitched 1 or 2 years up against juniors in high school and expect them to be successful. Also you have girls that have been pitching in these age groups for several years, so if you take mound time away from them to work with the younger girls, you'll have Momma raising cane on the sideline. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough.

You have our sympathies. We are fortunate in Marshall County for the "powers that be" in the Little League system that started fast pitch several years ago, and for the parents who saw the need and started going (taking their daughters) to good pitching coaches. It takes a lot of dedication that a lot of people are not willing to have, or can't afford to have. Not bashing anyone, just stating the facts. Good luck to all.

I hear ya brother. A pitching machine is good for getting your eye on the ball, but there is nothing that takes the place of live pitching. Last year at Shelbyville, they weren't a very good hitting team. They never have been a good hitting team. They had to do something, so we sacrificed our pitching early, and made them throw a lot of batting practice. Then the coaches pitched late in the year, submarine, to get that live pitching. Our hitting is much better this year because of that. I think they had 7 hits against Tullahoma, and that's not bad. All you can do is hang in there and coach 'em up. There are some good athletes on that team, I know, cause I coached em when they were babies.

I hear ya brother. A pitching machine is good for getting your eye on the ball, but there is nothing that takes the place of live pitching. Last year at Shelbyville, they weren't a very good hitting team. They never have been a good hitting team. They had to do something, so we sacrificed our pitching early, and made them throw a lot of batting practice. Then the coaches pitched late in the year, submarine, to get that live pitching. Our hitting is much better this year because of that. I think they had 7 hits against Tullahoma, and that's not bad. All you can do is hang in there and coach 'em up. There are some good athletes on that team, I know, cause I coached em when they were babies.

I'm guessing you and I know each other then. It's important to understand that I'm not blaming Coach Austin for the problems we have. As I said, the current problems we have are a result of the entire county neglecting Fastpitch for so many years and now deciding to get involved with it. If you haved Coached in Shelbyville as I have, you know the emphasis has been on slowpitch for many years there. Smryna is the same way. Smryna and Shelbyville have dominated slowpitch ball for many years and both and just now pushing fastpitch. The problems that we are facing today will take care of themselves in 5 more years because I know many young girls are starting to take lessons and it'll show in time. I think our hitting woes will continue until we find a way to hit live pitching more often. Outside of bringing someone in to throw some batting practice, I don't see anyway to help the problem. Community went and grabbed our most recent standout at pitcher to assist them. I wish we could find another high caliber pitcher who would be willing to come to the school a couple of times a week and throw some BP for the team. Maybe it is something we can address in the off-season before next year.