WEST VS CAK

underdog4

It was 3-0 at the half, and stayed that way for the rest of the game.

I thought we played a nice first half, but not as great of a second half.

I must admit I'm a bit confused by this statement. You thought you played better in the half in which you gave up 3 goals? I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened, but this statement does seem a bit curious.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree that CAK played better in the first half than the second. CAK kinda ran out of gas about the midpoint of second half but turned it around for the last ten or so. The first half CAK had a much more consistent attack and West just beat them off set pieces (2 throw ins and a direct kick). Good game West you all should do well in the AAA playoffs if you can get out of that tough region.

Sorry Big G to hear about your 2 starters lost for the season. You are such a positive coach that your team will pull together for the playoffs.

You were close! We lost 3-0 tonight. 2 coming off... you guessed it! Throw ins! What a powerful weapon they have. We even practiced for it but they used it so well. They scored a really nice third goal off of a cross off a direct. It was 3-0 at the half, and stayed that way for the rest of the game.

I thought we played a nice first half, but not as great of a second half. I saw Akula there (I think) and I hope that he can give a good synopsis of the match.

I must admit I'm a bit confused by this statement. You thought you played better in the half in which you gave up 3 goals? I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened, but this statement does seem a bit curious.

No... I meant what I said. They scored on 3 set pieces (if you count their long throw ins as set pieces, which I do for West). Outside of that, we controlled the ball well, spread the field, and supported each other defensively. We had some chances on goal, too. Just because they scored those goals, doesn't mean I wasn't happy with the way we played the first half. I have actually been more satisfied with some games that we lost than games that we won. I know that might sound confusing, but I actually use these games to prepare for the tournament. Our guys needed to see how to defend on long throws (we thought we were ready, but obviously not!) and so did my keeper.

There are no district ramifications for playing West, Webb, Farragut, CBHS, and other top quality teams, and the end result isn't what I am after in those games. I want to get our game to where it needs to be starting next week. If I lose on the way to top teams, I am fine with that. I don't necessarily like losing, but we showed some great things in the first half that I hadn't seen so far this season. I'll take that anytime.

Sorry Big G to hear about your 2 starters lost for the season. You are such a positive coach that your team will pull together for the playoffs.

Thanks ND! My guys REALLY pulled it together tonight. What you guys can't see in the box score was the passion that the guys played with, especially the first 10 minutes. We have been lacking that passion since the injuries, and it was great to see it tonight. This is one of the reasons why I am not too upset with the loss.

Farragut on Thursday! Should be a great one!

I see what you are saying for sure. You really can't tell alot about a game from a box score. Glad to hear they played with passion as I am sure that it was real tough for your team after losing 2 of their teammates. Good luck with Farragut.

quote name='BigG' date='Apr 28 2008 - 08:35 PM' post='826768821']

Thanks ND! My guys REALLY pulled it together tonight. What you guys can't see in the box score was the passion that the guys played with, especially the first 10 minutes. We have been lacking that passion since the injuries, and it was great to see it tonight. This is one of the reasons why I am not too upset with the loss.

Farragut on Thursday! Should be a great one!

I was a few minutes late, but I was there, G. Apparently I missed a great save by your keeper. Sorry, I love seeing those (loved it when Gorman was still playing, How is he doing this year?). I agree with someone questioning how you play better in the first but give up more goals, but you have to understand how west uses the throw, it is ridiculous. They are so good at that and it is almost impossible to duplicate in training. I thought your keeper had a great save on the first goal and the ball just bounced west's way for the goal. Not much you can do about that. And the set piece was nice, followed by the next throw in the last 5 minutes of the half, which is so hard to overcome emotionally. I feel that even if it was 1-0 at the half, that it would have been difficult for CAK in the second, west has just so many weapons. I think CAK came out well in the second half, I thought they did better in the first building up the play. Also, it seemed like West maintained possession in the second, but couldn't find the net. I give alot of credit to CAK's defense in the second half. It is just tough when you have to move people around and ask people to step in when you lose two great players, who also played at key positions and directed the team on the field. I'm not trying to take away from west, they are awesome this year. But I thought the intensity and hard work that CAK played with was a credit to them. It could have been very easy to have put their head down and let the game get out of hand. I saw alot of young looking players on the field tonight for CAK, which just makes it more scary for what they will be like in the next few years. Plus, they have a week or so to put it together for the postseason.

They have all the banners on the fence for a reason, I'm thinking G has got a plan. hmmmmmmmmm.

p.s. telling the gate I was akula didn't get me a discount on the fee to get in. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. here I thought I was a household name.

No... I meant what I said. They scored on 3 set pieces (if you count their long throw ins as set pieces, which I do for West). Outside of that, we controlled the ball well, spread the field, and supported each other defensively. We had some chances on goal, too. Just because they scored those goals, doesn't mean I wasn't happy with the way we played the first half. I have actually been more satisfied with some games that we lost than games that we won. I know that might sound confusing, but I actually use these games to prepare for the tournament. Our guys needed to see how to defend on long throws (we thought we were ready, but obviously not!) and so did my keeper.

There are no district ramifications for playing West, Webb, Farragut, CBHS, and other top quality teams, and the end result isn't what I am after in those games. I want to get our game to where it needs to be starting next week. If I lose on the way to top teams, I am fine with that. I don't necessarily like losing, but we showed some great things in the first half that I hadn't seen so far this season. I'll take that anytime.

Alright, thanks for the explanation. I know soccer is a funny game, where you can control the ball the entire game and lose or get outshot 30 to 1 and win 1-0. I just wanted to verify that you meant what you posted, and you did that.