Bristol Tennessee lady viking coach resigns

bugkiller

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point, but it wasn't the point here. Also, the two transfers you're referring to are long gone, and have nothing to do with the situation. Really not much infighting went on, to be totally honest. And the girls who were playing since, got along better than any team I've seen.

Coach Campbell IS one of the smartest coaches in this area. I believe that, and I don't think many will dispute that. I feel for Coach Campbell, because he has had a tough year personally. I'm afraid though, that maybe he let that spill over into other areas. I have coached a little, and have been around a lot of good coaches, and I expect a lot of yelling and screaming, throwing stuff, etc. That's part of basketball. If you're not hard on them, you're not going to get their best out of them. I think what wore on this team over the past year, was that the attacks became too personal. Yell and scream at us about basketball, make us work hard, make us do our best. But don't continually tell us we're worthless, the worst you've seen, don't attack our character, don't say things about our families that have nothing to do with basketball.

I'm sure Daniel Boone will be fine eventually. I'm glad some of the younger girls will get plenty of playing time. They are great young ladies. It's kinda sad that these girls gave up their last year of basketball. But they had started to hate it. That's what's really sad. It used to be what they lived for. I'm proud to say that they did learn the meaning of friends and of team, because they did stick together, and they did stand up for what they believed. So, whatever you go on to do girls, I'm rooting for you, and I know you'll end up winners.

bucdaddio I have always read your posts with great interest but I have to say that you are the one who is getting into "personal" territory here blaming all this on Coach Campbell. I know him a little but our coach is one of his best buddies and he stands by him through thick and thin. Sure TC has gone through quite a bit this past year, and not by his own doing. We all go through peaks and valleys during our life but to blame him for a bunch of girls who decided to quit is quite ridiculous. The old saying goes..you think your coach is tough just wait until you get a boss..is true here. The coach I played for in HS was one of the toughest around and I have nothing but great respect for him. He didn't worry about our "well-being" during practice and stayed on us constantly, and I mean constantly, but if you know anything about constructive criticism, and no two girls or boys are usually alike, if the coach didn't care about you he wouldn't say anything to you. Sounds to me like he knew the girls had the potential, just had to get the work ethic, which they obviously did not. Too many take the easy way out, probably have been given everything during their life and not had to work for it. Truly a shame because the girls will look back on this someday and regret losing the opportunity and the sad thing is that it can never be recovered.

Before you come on here and write a paragraph about these girls lack of work ethic, let me say, you don't know these girls. They have still been working out almost every day since they left the team. There is nothing wrong with their work ethic. Before you come on here and proceed to tell everybody that these girls have had everything handed to them, you don't know these girls. My daughter has had it pretty tough. Some of it is her fault, some of it is not. But she goes through things that a lot of teenagers couldn't handle. And I'm proud of her for hanging tough. I won't get into it on here, but Krich knows what I'm referring to. I don't think I could have done it when I was in high school.

No, I wasn't getting "personal" about the Coach. His personal life is not my business. And vice-versa. I realize that he is good friends with your coach. They are both excellent coaches. But that doesn't mean that he can't be wrong, either. Nobody has a problem with "constructive criticism", it is "destructive criticism" and what the players call "mind games", that they grew tired of.

All I'm saying is this. You came on here and wrote a paragraph trashing these girls and giving everybody a reason for what happened that blames it all on them, and you don't even know the situation, or the girls involved. And I was getting personal? I never trashed Coach Campbell. He is a smart coach and I have respect for him. I just think he handled the situation wrong this time.

I never asked anybody to feel sorry for these girls. But if you want to know why they quit, ask them. Don't assume you know what happened, without getting any of the facts. And good luck to your Bulldogs, they are a tough team.

• 2 weeks later...