6-5A best memory of last season

6-5A best memory of last season... what was your favorite memory of last season - what one play stood out the most for you?

me, was Franlin @ Indy playoff game - the overflow crowd and the " catch " in the 40 seconds of the game to set up Veres game winning field goal as it looked for sure OT was coming

HONORABLE mention - INDYS firstever win over Ravenwood- i was leaving the stadium and in the parking lot close to 60 students were gathered in a circl arm in arm singing Elton Johns " Tiny Dancer "

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not exactly one play but.... the region, despite being down and the teams in it having several out of region losses, still put someone (Indy) in the state championship game. 5 out of the past 6 years the region has been represented in that game.

Just to generate some more discussion I would rank those teams in order starting with the best

1) Ravenwood 05

2) Brentwood

3) Franklin

4) Ravenwood 06

5) Independence

But all of these teams should be applauded for their own accomplishments.

6-5A best memory of last season... what was your favorite memory of last season - what one play stood out the most for you?

me, was Franlin @ Indy playoff game - the overflow crowd and the " catch " in the 40 seconds of the game to set up Veres game winning field goal as it looked for sure OT was coming

HONORABLE mention - INDYS firstever win over Ravenwood- i was leaving the stadium and in the parking lot close to 60 students were gathered in a circl arm in arm singing Elton Johns " Tiny Dancer "

That was definitely memorable. Besides the catch and field goal the last play of the game was absolutely bar none the biggest hit I have ever seen in a football game. Pettigrew has a 25 yard sprint and knocks Steele out to end the game. What a collision.

Then the scene at Millington after the game. They wouldn't let any fans on the field to celebrate after the game so the Indy players jumped the fence and celebrated with their fans. A scene I will never forget.

That was definitely memorable. Besides the catch and field goal the last play of the game was absolutely bar none the biggest hit I have ever seen in a football game. Pettigrew has a 25 yard sprint and knocks Steele out to end the game. What a collision.

Then the scene at Millington after the game. They wouldn't let any fans on the field to celebrate after the game so the Indy players jumped the fence and celebrated with their fans. A scene I will never forget.

When Smyrna's TB Bryson ran 60 yds for a TD, juking and dancing past defenders in the championship game.

It's not exactly one play but.... the region, despite being down and the teams in it having several out of region losses, still put someone (Indy) in the state championship game. 5 out of the past 6 years the region has been represented in that game.

Just to generate some more discussion I would rank those teams in order starting with the best

1) Ravenwood 05

2) Brentwood

3) Franklin

4) Ravenwood 06

5) Independence

But all of these teams should be applauded for their own accomplishments.

Your rankings seem about right, but I personally put that Brentwood team in '03 above the Ravenwood team in '05, although you can basically call it a draw. Both only lost one game (to BA, no less)...however, that Brentwood team was just a gritty team...Everson was the best QB this region has seen in the last 5 or so years, Steckel was an absolute force on D, Fugate (as a JR) carried much of the load in the backfield...don't get me wrong, both were great teams, but to me Brentwood was a more complete team...plus they had a former NFL OC calling the plays. Heck, with Heimerdinger's kid leading the state in catches a few years later, and Matt Henshaw (son of former Titans Asst. George Henshaw), you can make an argument that the region would've been dramatically different had the Titans never moved to Nashville.

Your rankings seem about right, but I personally put that Brentwood team in '03 above the Ravenwood team in '05, although you can basically call it a draw. Both only lost one game (to BA, no less)...however, that Brentwood team was just a gritty team...Everson was the best QB this region has seen in the last 5 or so years, Steckel was an absolute force on D, Fugate (as a JR) carried much of the load in the backfield...don't get me wrong, both were great teams, but to me Brentwood was a more complete team...plus they had a former NFL OC calling the plays. Heck, with Heimerdinger's kid leading the state in catches a few years later, and Matt Henshaw (son of former Titans Asst. George Henshaw), you can make an argument that the region would've been dramatically different had the Titans never moved to Nashville.

It was actually the 02 Brentwood team, but none the less I agree with you on all of your points. It's funny how much the Titans did have an impact on region 6. Also you failed to mention a couple of other future SEC players that were on that team in Thomas Welch (Vandy) and Steven Jones (UT). Also Ian Van Horne was one heck of a LB for their defense (What ever happened to him? College?)

Everson is the best QB this region has seen since probably Bill Whittemore, who happens to have also went to Brentwood high. However I would put TC Jennings right behind them along with the QB from Clarksville a few years back (when Clarksville was in this region)

Is Fugate still at LSU?

It's just that the region was arguably the strongest the year Ravenwood won it all. And with TC leading the offense and Daniel Becker heading up the defense it's hard to match that team except for the BHS team before mentioned.

Here is another Indy 6 5-A memory. It was so much a play but a series of plays. At Dickson County with Indy up 14-0 in the 2nd, DC was driving and Veres intercepted them at the 1. Indy took the ball and drove 99 yards to score (about 15 plays). Indy had struggled in the games before that and that series seemed to turn the whole season around. DC was done after that drive as Indy won 27-7.

It was actually the 02 Brentwood team, but none the less I agree with you on all of your points. It's funny how much the Titans did have an impact on region 6. Also you failed to mention a couple of other future SEC players that were on that team in Thomas Welch (Vandy) and Steven Jones (UT). Also Ian Van Horne was one heck of a LB for their defense (What ever happened to him? College?)

Everson is the best QB this region has seen since probably Bill Whittemore, who happens to have also went to Brentwood high. However I would put TC Jennings right behind them along with the QB from Clarksville a few years back (when Clarksville was in this region)

Is Fugate still at LSU?

It's just that the region was arguably the strongest the year Ravenwood won it all. And with TC leading the offense and Daniel Becker heading up the defense it's hard to match that team except for the BHS team before mentioned.

It was the '02 Brentwood team, my mistake. Steven Jones never really did much out here but he was an absolute stud, also with a Titan connection. Ian Van Horne won the Defensive MVP in the title game...I believe he was all set to go to the Naval Academy but either didn't qualify or backed out, went to MTSU for a few years and is now at UT and not playing football.

Wesley Fink is the QB from Clarksville. Him and Lanis Frederick tore Centennial apart in the finale of the 04 season, pushing CHS out of the playoffs and making way for the young Ravenwood team. Don't forget about Calvin McNairl from Henry Co...he would've been very hard to defend had the regions not re-aligned...he started several games at TSU this past season.

It was the '02 Brentwood team, my mistake. Steven Jones never really did much out here but he was an absolute stud, also with a Titan connection. Ian Van Horne won the Defensive MVP in the title game...I believe he was all set to go to the Naval Academy but either didn't qualify or backed out, went to MTSU for a few years and is now at UT and not playing football.

Wesley Fink is the QB from Clarksville. Him and Lanis Frederick tore Centennial apart in the finale of the 04 season, pushing CHS out of the playoffs and making way for the young Ravenwood team. Don't forget about Calvin McNairl from Henry Co...he would've been very hard to defend had the regions not re-aligned...he started several games at TSU this past season.

Yes, Wesley Fink was a terror for opposing defenses. I would have put Calvin McNairl in that list with the rest of the QBs had the region not been re-aligned halfway through this high school career. If I remember correctly he was a 4 year starter for Henry County.

Yes, Wesley Fink was a terror for opposing defenses. I would have put Calvin McNairl in that list with the rest of the QBs had the region not been re-aligned halfway through this high school career. If I remember correctly he was a 4 year starter for Henry County.

Yeah, he was. He lead HC to a semifinal appearance in his senior year before they lost to Hillsboro...HC has really excelled since dropping to 4A.