MJ Brown to walk on at UT?

Galilee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MJ may be walking on at UT next year but I have yet to see an article on any UT website welcoming him aboard the Vols Basketball team. I have 3 or 4 UT websites marked with the latest news each day and it gives the latest on every sport. Not a word about MJ walking on, so I don't think UT is counting on MJ to be the next Chris Lofton.

I heard he was going to Europe for one season and then enter the 2009 NBA draft. Just a rumor..i'm not sure if it's true or not.

He is not on the team. He still hasen't decided.I've leardned by now that when the UC coach or MJ say's he will decide by the end of the week or next week it means nothing. I have heard that exact statement from Sisco and MJ no fewer than 4 times over the last two months ( according to press reports). We will just have to wait and see. I bet all those mid-major offers look even better now because this whole thing does not look favorable for MJ. It wouldn't suprise me if he ends up at a 5th year prep school or doesn't even play next season and ends up at one of those mid-majors for the 2009/2010 season........Who Knows??????????? I hope for the best for MJ and he will play somewhere and quite possibly UT or Western Kentucky. At this point I wouldn't bet the farm on it though. Coaches won't wait forever and those roster spots will be filled by another walk on or recruit from the next class. Western Kentucky may have already fiilled the spot or be close to filling it with Hersey Hawkins son. If MJ would have commited to Western they probably wouldn't be after Hawkins now....at least that's what I think.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that MJ has been getting terrible advice by the hanger-ons. If a text book were written about what not to do as a recruit...well I guess you get the picture. Bruce Pearls part in this is disgracefull, to lead this kid on all the while knowing he was doing just that....leading him on. Can anybody on here confirm if Pearl actually attended any UC games or actually made a vist with MJ and his family? All the hard work by UTM and SEMO seemd to have payed off, until..well you know who. I can remember all those talking about MJ walking on at UT and making a significant contribuiton as a freshman. These are the people just like the hanger-ons. Making this kid larger than life. MJ was ready to commit to UTM or SEMO and had lots of mid-major offers right before the late signing period ended, then everything started going crazy. Is it about the education or what. Anyway here it is.

By MIKE HUTCHENS the Union City Daily Messenger

Messenger Sports Editor

Three months after the passing of national signing day and roughly a month before college classes are to begin and MJ Brown has yet to officially make a decision on where he’ll play basketball this fall.

A familiar name, however, is apparently back in the mix.

Brown, Union City High School’s two-time Class A Mr. Basketball recipient, told The Messenger this week he still likes UT Martin and the possibility exists that he could still accept a scholarship with the Skyhawks, rather than walk on at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.

The final decision, he indicated, might stretch into mid-August when classes begin as he and family members weigh and debate the ultimate decision of his college destination.

Brown’s ongoing saga, in which one of the most decorated players in the rich history of the Tornado basketball program and The Messenger’s Prep Player of the Year has regularly wavered, has had several twists and turns.

Brown initially said he would pick either UTM or Southeast Missouri State — both Ohio Valley Conference schools.

UCHS head coach Shane Sisco said earlier in the process Brown had also received scholarship offers from Ten-nessee Tech, Eastern Kentucky and Murray State, while East Tennessee State, UT Chattanooga and Southern Methodist University had also indicated they would offer financial aide for Brown to join their respective programs.

The six-foot point-guard, who averaged 20 points, six assists, four steals and four rebounds while leading Union City to a perfect 37-0 season and the school’s fifth boys’ state championship during the 2007-08 season, never officially committed, however.

He openly talked of walking on at either UT or Western Kentucky, citing the desire to play for a big-time college program.

He said he talked with both Vol head coach Bruce Pearl and a member of the Hilltopper staff, each of whom promised him little but a chance to prove himself at the elite level where a scholarship could possibly have been had down the road.Closer to home, the Sky-hawks, though, already have signed junior college point-guard Delrico Lane when it appeared the possibility of landing Brown in the spring no longer existed.

If he ultimately lands at UTM, Brown would join another Union City High School standout, Marquis Weddle, on the Skyhawk roster, and likely be a part of a lineup or rotation that not only includes Weddle — last season’s Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year after averaging 17 points-per-game — and reigning OVC Player of the Year Lester Hudson.

Hudson withdrew his name from NBA lottery consideration just before the deadline and will return to UTM for his senior season next year. He is currently on campus.

UT Martin head coach Bret Campbell — bound by NCAA rules and regulations — cannot comment on the matter.

Earlier in the week, Sisco said there was some question as to Brown’s eligibility expressed by at least one coach who cited the NCAA Clearinghouse Web site. That is no longer an issue, according to the coach.

Published in The Messenger 7.18.08

The clearinghouse issue is very interesting to me. Why would a college coaches questions be unfounded. Perhaps the messenger should explain to it's readers why it's no longer an issue. I would love to know the answer to that. The Clearinghouse is an agency hired from outside and by the NCAA to certify ones elegibility. As far as I know and If I am wrong please correct me and I will stand corrected..... No one has cleared the clearing house as of yet.

My whole point all along is that this whole thing is really weird how it has all played out...nothing more nothing less....and it appears it will be played out another month.

God Luck to MJ. I hope he get's a first class education, goes to a nice MidMajor shcool, and makes all conference.

Not trying to stir anything up here. Just trying to make a point. Some people have great insight but when it comes to kids they REALLR REALLY like sometimes objectivity becomes clouded.

Yankees8589: MJ has offers for full rides on the table from SEMO, UTM , and Western Kentucky (possibly) but might choose to walk on at UT. If that is his choice I wish him the best but I don't think he will play much, if at all.

Beavo5: I don't see MJ going to UT at all... if he does I believe he'll ride the bench and be regretting that he didn't take those full ride offers.

Greenfieldfan: MJ is going to see alot of things that he has never experienced, he is out of his league. This is not 14A, this is big time basketball. I hope MJ does well but he would be much better off at UTM starting as a freshman than sitting on the bench for 4 years at Knoxville

Warmachine: I don't even think MJ got an SEC offer so he might be getting in over his head. It's his life and college career, I just hope people are doing whats right for MJ and not living their own fantasies and steering him the wrong way.

Yankees8589: Is MJ going to walk-on or not. For some reason I still think he may go to SEMO, UTM, or Western Kentucky.

Chipperjones4mvp: MJ will be fine at UT.He will get playing time as a freshman.I think the Maze kid will start,but MJ will be the backup.The other two walk ons that they are refering to are not good as MJ.I know that Murden was a good high school player,but he has point guard size and is not a point guard.Murden had no jump shot and was not that good at handling the ball.The other kid,Brett Knight, i was told was not that good anyway.So dont be surprised when you see MJ getting playing time.

Chipperjonesformvp: MJ will be ok at Tenn.He will get some time next year.May even start before the season is over with.He is continuing to work on his game and is lifting weights to get stronger.We played Boyton at the Wallace Prather last May,and MJ held his own against him.MJ can play with him.We were leading at the 8 min mark of the game,but ended up losing by 8.Boyton had 25 and MJ had 23.He had to also guard MJ. MJ has a lot of confidence in his game and his ability in what he can do.He feels that he is just as good as the other point guards that are on the team and whoever else they recruit.He will be just fine.

Greenfiledfan: Chipper,Start as a freshman? I think you have lost your mind. This is big time college basketball not Union City 14A basketball. I hope MJ is not making a bad mistake and gets lost in practice and sits on the bench for four years. At UTM maybe he can start as a freshman but UTKnoxville, it is a different league. Good luck MJ.

Gcpioneer: No one has claimed that MJ is going to come in and start and get Freshman of the Year. I do believe if MJ does end up at UT he'll get significant playing time in his third year of playing time. That would be with him red shirting next year and getting a little playing time his second year and playing quite a bit by his third year.

Ucoc: My son played with MJ last summer & I'm telling you he can play with anybody. Ya'll talk about Justin Blake he couldn;t wear MJ's jock strap. He has the talent & poise to play at Tennessee. I think with a year under his belt he will be a better point guard than Lofton.

Terop: That's saying alot...No knock on Mr. Brown but Lofton was great at TN. 2nd team all-american last year...all sec. One of the all-time great three point shooters in the sec.

Terop: GC remember even though UK and Louisville didnt go after Lofton real hard...he still was being recruited and OFFERED scholarships by major basketball programs.

Chipperjonesformvp: Daniel West played 1A ball in Michigan.Because he got offered a scholarship by Tenn,doesnt make him a better player than MJ.I think that MJ will get more time than West do next year.I think that MJ is better than Jordan Howell,who graduated,and Ramar Smith,who got kicked off. Neither could make an open jump shot,and both got benched in the tournament because neither was effective.He went with JP prince,who is a slasher and not a point guard.MJ will be ok at UT.

Greenfieldfan: College coaches know talent. They miss a prospect every now and then but not very often. The bigtime college coaches dont think MJ can play bigtime basketball. Why do I say that, when they dont recruit you then they are saying that. Most coaches in America will welcome MJ to walk on because they dont have anything invested. It will be a tough task for MJ to get any playing time in the next couple of years. I hope that I am wrong, I am pulling for our local kids.

Larrybird33: HE HAS A GOOD CHANCE TO MAKE IT WHEREVER HE GOES. SHOOTING SKILLS AND BALL HANDLING HES ALREADY BETTER THEN RAMAR SMITH AND JORDON HOWELL. NO QUESTION. I WONT BE SURPRIED IF HE HAS SUCCESS NO MATTER WHERE HE PLAYS.

Yankees8589: Jordan Howell was a three star recruit and ranked 143 by Rivals his senior year in high school ans was recruited by most of the SEC schools. Ramar Smith was a 5 star recruit and ranked number 20 by Rivals his senior year.

Yankees8589: I bet all those mid-major offers look even better now because this whole thing does not look favorable for MJ. It wouldn't suprise me if he ends up at a 5th year prep school or doesn't even play next season and ends up at one of those mid-majors for the 2009/2010 season........Who Knows??????????? I hope for the best for MJ and he will play somewhere and quite possibly UT or Western Kentucky. At this point I wouldn't bet the farm on it though.

Yankees8589: By MIKE HUTCHENS the Union City Daily Messenger

Messenger Sports Editor

Three months after the passing of national signing day and roughly a month before college classes are to begin and MJ Brown has yet to officially make a decision on where he’ll play basketball this fall.

A familiar name, however, is apparently back in the mix.

Brown, Union City High School’s two-time Class A Mr. Basketball recipient, told The Messenger this week he still likes UT Martin and the possibility exists that he could still accept a scholarship with the Skyhawks, rather than walk on at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.