AAA Pairings

CoachT

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what your saying is, the teams should be seated based on the rankings.

Can you share any other year it has been done this way?

I can see that this year, it would benefit you. Would you feel the same way if it didn't? As each of the teams play very few common opponents, do you think the rankings are always accurate?

................................................................................

The one thing that seems constant in this bracketing is that they seem to insure that two teams from the same district will not meet until the finals. Personally, I feel that preserving this may have greater weight in order to protect the reality that one district could have the #1 & #2 teams.

Perhaps you could make it a point to talk to your coach and make sure that each of the other seven teams are on your schedule for the upcoming year.

I do feel that the teams should be seeded by rankings. It hasn't been done this way before, and it might have benefitted some teams this year. Who knows? But if you're saying the rankings aren't accurate because the teams play very few common opponents, you might as well throw out the rankings in every single sport then, high school and collegiate. The teams aren't always going to have the same opponents. That's why there are district rankings and state-wide rankings. In response to your other question, yes, I would feel this way if it didn't benefit me. The teams that would receive the #1 and #2 seedings (which would've been Brentwood and Houston) have earned that right this year. They deserve to have the lower seeds (#7 and #8 it would've been). I don't feel it's right, and have never felt it right, to pit two of the higher seeds (once again, had it been done by seedings) in the first round. I still feel the championship game would've been the same, but I think the semi-final matchups would've been more interesting.

Like I shared, if you are seeking interesting games, seek out that competition in your season schedule, and don't walk away from it in the quarters and semi's.

I'm not exactly understanding what you mean by walking away from the competition.

just to add to this "blind draw" delema...

i've seen too many times in the past in boys basketball where white station and bradley central have faced off in the opening round, both being ranked in the top 4 of the state...

brackets for championships, no matter if the teams have even a single common opponent is and has been the only good system; can have the rankings come from records, coach and media recommendations, whatever...

i'm thinking the key word in the way our state does theirs is simply - BLIND !!!

rant over, P.

I'm not exactly understanding what you mean by walking away from the competition.

I don't think there will be much argument that the finals included the best two teams.

Unless I am missing something, isn't that what we are trying to achieve?

If your trying to define who is 4th, 6th or 8th, look at the rankings.

The best two teams rose to the top.

Mission accomplished.

I don't think there will be much argument that the finals included the best two teams.

Unless I am missing something, isn't that what we are trying to achieve?

If your trying to define who is 4th, 6th or 8th, look at the rankings.

The best two teams rose to the top.

Mission accomplished.

Canes, I think what he is implying is that in some years (I know it happened several times in A/AA) the "top two" teams were in the same bracket (Catholic and Notre Dame last year, FRA and CAK several years back, etc.) so they are saying that it would be better to rank teams and set them up in the brackets as such. The problem is that I don't think the rankings are all that valid. I also have no idea how they are ranked... coaches used to vote on the rankings each week, but that stopped this season for some reason. So I don't know if it is just one person's opinions, refs, ect.

Canes, I think what he is implying is that in some years (I know it happened several times in A/AA) the "top two" teams were in the same bracket (Catholic and Notre Dame last year, FRA and CAK several years back, etc.) so they are saying that it would be better to rank teams and set them up in the brackets as such. The problem is that I don't think the rankings are all that valid. I also have no idea how they are ranked... coaches used to vote on the rankings each week, but that stopped this season for some reason. So I don't know if it is just one person's opinions, refs, ect.

Thanks for explaining that to him Big G. That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to say. I will agree that in this year, the top two teams from AAA were in the finals. That's not always the case though. I think they need to have some sort of seeding rather than a blind draw. Who is it exactly that's in charge of the eurosport rankings?

Thanks for explaining that to him Big G. That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to say. I will agree that in this year, the top two teams from AAA were in the finals. That's not always the case though. I think they need to have some sort of seeding rather than a blind draw. Who is it exactly that's in charge of the eurosport rankings?

It USED to be the coaches voted every week (if you were a member of the NSCAA. They stopped that this year. I have no idea who runs it now.

It USED to be the coaches voted every week (if you were a member of the NSCAA. They stopped that this year. I have no idea who runs it now.

If everyone knew what was taking place on the other side of the state like they do (or think they do) in their own back yard, then it would be fine to take the coaches vote, but (1) they likely don't and (2) it would turn into a popularity contest.

If they all played the same schedule, the voters would then be more familiar with opponents and could cast valid ballots. Well, they don't play the same schedule and as they cannot watch those teams like NCAAA football on TV or tape, I am not sure of the value of rankings when it comes to bracketing.

I guess the point I am trying to look at is that with all of the millions of dollars, how the NCAA cannot get the right teams in the BCS championship, we seemed to do a decent job this year here in TN soccer.

Yeah, it is not perfect, and likely will never be. But it is 1,000 times better that football, which relies on what to define the participants of the championship game?.....rankings?