"Transfers"

auntkim

Gator,

I am so proud of you and your daughter's attitude!! Finally, a breath of reality in a parent crazed sport!! I have said it before and will say it again--a lot of this transfer business is the vanity of the parents. Less than 1% of these kids will ever go anywhere after high school.

Hey tougnut, Thanks a bunch.

I'm very proud of her also.

The parents I have run across this summer have been very strange. Last year when she was a manager, the parents were all very friendly, we got along great. Infact, we STILL get along great with those parents. But the kids that she was playing with this year, the ones up and coming....some very strange vibes from those parents. I dont know if it is because we are relatively new to the area, and they just dont know me???? At softball tryouts last night there was a little group of us that talked, most of they were very friendly, but you could see there were some of these moms that just dont get it. LIGHTEN UP LADIES...this is just a game!!!

There are people that feel their kids are just "entitled" to greatness. Like it should just be handed to them. I coached 2 years of Jr Pro Basketball back in Michigan. My daughter played for me, but I had an assistant coach that determined substitution patterns. I didnt want to get accused of playing favorites with my kid. I had a hand full of parents that just wanted to complain. EVERY GAME, complaints. One kid played point guard for the school team, and I swear to you, just as sure as I am sitting here typing right now, this girl would turn the ball over 90% of the trips down the court. They had a play they were trying to run, she would get through the first 3 seconds of the play, and then drive the lane, trip and fall, and watch the ball go the other way. I wouldnt let her play point guard for me. I made her a forward. Deadly shot. Told her catch and shoot. And she did. She hit a ton of shots. But her mom was mad because she was supposed to be the point guard just like SHE was. GIVE IT UP MOM. Let the kids play, and the coaches coach, and the parents...SUPPORT.

please accept my apologies for my rant. hahahaha.

Thanks again. very proud of my kids. They are both very well grounded on these issues.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur that there have been a lot of good posts on this topic. Girls "transfer" for lots of reasons. Some of them good or legitimate reasons and some of them for selfish reasons. There are many good kids and parents out there. Unfortunately there are many parents trying to live out their athletic fantacies through their kids. There are many "prima donnas" as well. The bottom line is that most of us don't know the true reasons for these transfers and we would be better off not judging. Speculating is okay because that's what makes these posts enjoyable.

As far as recruiting - yes it does happen. How widespread or how often who really knows? I've had coaches - both private and public and AAU- tell me that if my daughter wasn't happy with her current team they would love to have her. To me that is not recruiting. It is advertisement.

As far as private schools advertising on radio they have to. They do not get tax payer dollars to operate their schools. They rely mostly on tuition dollars to pay their bills. That is not recruiting. I think people pick on them because of some schools success(BA, etc). I think many of their transfers are there because they want to play for highly successful coaches and programs. They want to play a tough schedule and because these programs have successful sent kids to big colleges these kids and their families want to get that kind of exposure.

i TOTALLY disagree when you say schools like BA MBA dont recruit players-- you said (As far as recruiting - yes it does happen. How widespread or how often who really knows? I've had coaches - both private and public and AAU- tell me that if my daughter wasn't happy with her current team they would love to have her. To me that is not recruiting. It is advertisement) ----how is that advertisment when they said to you they would luv to have your daughter if she wasnt happy? Advertisment to me would be that you bought an add on their scoreboard or something like that. These kids that are " the studs " in thier sport are contacted by admin from those schools like MBA etc or an alum-they are offered a "free ride - tuition to the school. You cant blame the kids , i mean they will get a top notch education but to say they are not recruited. I coached hs football at a very high level catholic school in the chicagoland area and when we heard of a stud at another school or even at middle school we would contact thier coach, parents or even the player themself, sell our school,education sports program to them- "we picked and chose whom we wanted.

you mean to tell me if your daughter stunk at bball called MBA and said she wants tuition assistance they would say okay send her over - in basketball you see some, but look at football in middle Tn. look at the o and d lines or the tailbacks on the schools like MBA Ensworth BA etc. you mean to tell me that all these 6 4 300 lbs kids just happen to want to go to that school - no they are contacted and enticed

So they cannot maintain a spitoon at two different addresses???

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Welcome back, stranger.

Gator you are my hero!!! Boy you wait till these people really find out who you are!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just kidding guy's!! He is the nicest and cooliest Dad I guess a kid could have. Ads mom tells me he is easy on the eyes too! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

99% of the people know it's true. And then there are the 1% like you. No society has ever been perfect. We must always strive to keep those like you from destroying the good that we have worked for. To keep life as best we can for the 99% to enjoy.

Hey coach07, I see you still got the blood pumping to that ole heart of yours!!lol

congrats to all the young ladies whom play the game. Transfer or not isn't up to anyone but the families involved. JC will continue to be dealt with regardless of transfers or not. Ask the folks in AA whom played against JC when JC didn't have transfers. 4 in a row state championships in AA. Moved to single a. In 3 short years, JC is the best of single a(2008) The first year in single a JC was runner-up to a great Forrest team. BTW Forrest as I have noticed is always playing for a title as well as Oliver Springs. But anywho, JC lost to a undeafeated Gleason team whom won the championship. Don't forget Clarkrange. CR always has a good team. Look at the resume of CR championships.

If an area doesn't have a winning program, quit whinning and complaining about the teams that do. Maybe get a trainer, do some condiontioning, work harder and stop blaming the teams that do win. Nobody gave JC the state. Nobody gave Forrest or Gleason the state. These teams won becasue of good coaching, talented players not to mention all the hard dedicated work.Come on show team pride.

Perhaps, coaches are responsible for the transfers. A team without harmony and balance are fragmented. Jealousy among team mates is a receipt for disaster. Maybe if coaches will stop making stars out of one or two players and incorporate more emphasis on "team" maybe transfers will start to decline. If players are not happy, they are going to find someplace where they can be.

Hey coach07, I see you still got the blood pumping to that ole heart of yours!!lol

we are so glad you are back stang. I just check on the posts every now and then. Those that came down on jc so very hard have pretty well lost their credibility. The first rule is to be right to begin with. I try awfully hard to be 100% accurate when I put a post on here. Look forward to your posts, your wit, and the fun of discussing high school and college ball. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I hope we are guiding her right. Sometimes I wonder if I look like some kind of idiot, trotting my kid out to different sports and tryouts for teams that she may not even have a chance to make.

She never played a minute of basketball until she came to me 3 days before her 7th grade tryout and told me she wanted to give it a try. That was quite a whirlwind of a week!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> (A lot of camps at Mich State, and too much of her daddy coaching her, but she did great with what she had to work with)

Then this year, at the end of her freshman year of HS, she told me that she thought maybe she wanted to play softball during the summer, just to give it a try. This just happened to be the day of signups for the cookeville summer league. So we got her in, and then through a bit of bad luck, she ended up with her dear old dad coaching her again. Through the summer (and granted, this is just summer rec ball) she batted .719....not bad for a kid who never played the game.

So last night was the second night of tryouts at Upperman. She is there in an air boot because of the high ankle sprain in basketball practice last week. She went to the first day of tryouts last Thursday on crutches. Did the best she could, and was still the 3rd fastest kid when they timed them. So last night, still cant step right when she throws. (makes it look like she throws like a....girl), she cant get a good twist when she swings a bat, and the only ball that came to her in the field got past her cause she couldnt move fast enough. (and she was at second base...she never played infield...so this is all new to her)

On our way out after the tryout, she was kind of down cause she knew she didnt look very good, I told her "look, you did the best you could with your situation. That is all you can ask. You played 2 years of basketball, and you just are not good enough. Youve played ONE SEASON of softball, you just are not good enough......YET. You just have to laugh this stuff off, and move on"

She looked at me and said "I wonder how long it takes to learn how to play GOLF"

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great kid. Great sense of humor.

She is built for softball. Good strong legs. Strong upperbody. Lean muscle. Has a great eye for the ball, and just needs another year of experience, she will be dangerous!!!

or not.....hhahaha

Anyways, thanks again. (and thanks for putting up with my lengthy stories)

Storytime with gatorbill /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> is brought to buy hurts auto, bee barb-q- and grill and the rusty lodge. Becareful where you step.

Storytime with gatorbill /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> is brought to buy hurts auto, bee barb-q- and grill and the rusty lodge. Becareful where you step.

and dont forget to tell 'em GatorBill sent ya!

Gator you are my hero!!! Boy you wait till these people really find out who you are!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just kidding guy's!! He is the nicest and cooliest Dad I guess a kid could have. Ads mom tells me he is easy on the eyes too! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Gator, you're welcome into lady blue devil nation anytime. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Anymore stories??

thank you young grasshopper!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I will stop back in later, when there is more time, and tell you all about how JC's own, COACH BROWN caused me to lose 4 softball games this summer. (I was coaching my daughter's team)

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />