"Transfers"

auntkim

I understand the point of view that has been stated so far in this thread, but not every situation is the same. You can't group all transfers into one category and say it shouldn't happen. The players that just keep on transferring from school to school to school may have some problems, but not every kid or family is doing that. Lets face it folks some situations are just not good, and when it is not a good situation do you just tough it out or do you get out if you can? Everyone is going to have their opinion about the right or wrong answer to this question, but ultimately that is a question most people will face at some time in their life. I will say this most everyone if they will admit it will get out of a bad situation if they can. I guess my opinion is that until you walk in these families shoes you shouldn't judge them or group them into one category.

While I certainly understand that you cannot group all transfers together, because as you stated, it's done for several different reasons, I have to believe that the "high profile" transfers of the really good players are sometimes done to improve a team's chances of winning it all and in the process get additional exposure for the players. Several years ago when my niece was playing AAU, she was approached by a coach as I was standing there with her Mom and he said "You know we have a place for you on our team and could really use you." She just kind of laughed and told him she was happy where she was. He said, while if you ever change your mind let me know. Now was this recruiting or not? Just how many times is this same scenario played out across the state? I really believe that unless there is a significant reason for a transfer to another school.... Job, personal problems, more money (we all need that one), that the transfer should not take place...... just to win more games than you did with your old team. Some of us as parents will do anything in our power to help our child whether it is right or wrong and I feel to move my family to another school just to win more games is taking it to far. If I really wanted my child to improve that much and they wanted to, I would have them playing all the AAU ball they could handle.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, not necessarily talking about the 7A area transfers, if the players are as good as parents believe then the team they leave behind would be better-with no reason to find a stronger program.

As for recruiting, a player from Chattanooga Central, a struggling Class AAA team in Chattanooga, signed a couple of years ago with Cleveland State and I'm pretty sure her senior year they won only 3 or 4 games if that many. Colleges will find players and as has been said here mostly it's due to what happens in the summer.

Yeah that was a mess of a sentence. Lol. I'm saying-in some cases-if the individual player is as talented as a parent may believe, then her team would be stronger or even among the strongest and there would be no reason to transfer. This goes for all sports, not just basketball. And yes I understand not all transfers are about going to a better team, I'm somewhat familiar with one of the high profile transfers and it appears things could have gone better at the former school. But even in cases where a transfer might be necessary, the destination is probably already a good or top program and adds fuel to the transfer/implied recruiting fire.

Yeah that was a mess of a sentence. Lol. I'm saying-in some cases-if the individual player is as talented as a parent may believe, then her team would be stronger or even among the strongest and there would be no reason to transfer. This goes for all sports, not just basketball. And yes I understand not all transfers are about going to a better team, I'm somewhat familiar with one of the high profile transfers and it appears things could have gone better at the former school. But even in cases where a transfer might be necessary, the destination is probably already a good or top program and adds fuel to the transfer/implied recruiting fire.

Now we're getting near the same page. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

In an area where the competion is extremely strong, only two or three teams advance year end and year out, and my little Petunia shows college potential in the summer (AAU), why not consider a move to improve her the game, get more exposure? Go where the most succesful programs are. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Because Petunia would rather play with her teammates she's been around since kindergarten?

Those exceptional Petunias will wilt in their own gardens, without a proper gardener, and growing atmosphier. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Do you know of any players who didn't sign at any level because they played in a medicore or bad program (and again if the players were better their ex-team would be better). I saw a team get beaten something around 70-15 a couple of years ago and they had two seniors sign, one post and one guard.

Do you know of any players who didn't sign at any level because they played in a medicore or bad program (and again if the players were better their ex-team would be better). I saw a team get beaten something around 70-15 a couple of years ago and they had two seniors sign, one post and one guard.

I'll send you a PM.but not tonight.

I get what Indian is trying to say, which is if you are as good as your parents believe you are and are good enough to be considered an "elite" player then you ought to be good enough to make the rest of your team better and carry your team at least to State, or come awfully close (especially in Class A).

Here is a shining example that I am sure most of you can remember. Kayla Hudson at Gleason stuck it out at her high school for her senior year despite losing three starters and nearly all of the bench from the year before. The starting lineup consisted mainly of inexperienced freshmen for the better part of the year. The team had no size and very little depth on the bench. With her carrying her team on her shoulders, they win the 2006 Class A State Championship. She received her share of attention from Division I, II, III, and NAIA college coaches because of her play during the summers with the Tennessee Flight, but ultimately chose to play at Union University (NAIA) because it was close to home and she liked the coaches there.

This young lady did not go running down the road to Westview (a AA sub-state team loaded with talent that would have made a serious push for the AA Gold Ball with her in the line-up) or head south to Trinity Christian Academy (a team that everyone knew would be at the Class A State Tournament that year) after the graduation of all that talent. No, she stuck it out and proved why she was an "Elite" player. If you ask this young lady which she would rather have: a Gold Ball with some random school (i.e. Westview) or a State Tournmanet birth with Gleason, she'll flat out tell you she would take an appearance at state with her school and community over a Gold Ball with some neighboring school any day of the week. But in the end, she was good enough to win it at her own school anyways with just decent, inexperienced talent around her and did not need to move to a team already poised to make a run at the State Title. In my book, this is a "true" elite player and champion, and she would have been considered as both of those things even if she had not won the State Championship that year.

To address the whole transfer because of a bad situation debate:

While I will acknowledge that in some cases, transfering might absolutely be a last resort decision that needs to be made in terms of removing a player from a detrimental situation, I am in no way gullible enough to believe (and neither are most of the posters on this board) that most transfers take place because of "bad situations." My question is: What exactly makes the situation bad? Is it that Susie did not get the number of minutes or shots that she thought she deserved? Or is it that the coach made her run extra laps in practice because he did not like her attitude or work ethic? Or was it that she felt she was too good to play with all of the mediocre talent around her? Or it could have been that she and her parents felt like they knew more about what was best for the team than the coach did? Or was it that the coach did not put all the emphasis on her and her needs? Or maybe it was because the coach did not consult with her and her parents on every single coaching decision that was made? My point is that anyone can call a situation "bad" for any number of selfish and unfounded reasons, but that situation may only be "bad" becuase they are not getting what they want.

I think just about anyone who transfers will say they transfered because they were in a "bad situation." Even the young lady that AuntKim referred to who has transfered numerous times probably felt that she was in a "bad situation" at every school she attended, when in actuality, it was because she was not the "star" of the team and getting the number of minutes she thought she deserved. The "bad situation" excuse has been used numerous times on these boards for players who have transfered in all classifications. However, in one particular instance of a player that has transfered at some point over the past few years (it could be recent or not, but I'm trying to stick with the theme of anonymity), it was quoted that she was needing to leave a "bad situation." However, I, myslef, have heard the father of that particular player say in front of the parents of other players on her AAU team that the reason she was transfering was because he (and the daughther as well) wanted her to win a State Championship. Nothing was mentioned about her being in a "bad situation," just that she wanted to win a State Championship, so they moved to a school that has/had a great shot at winning one.

I do believe that in some instances that transfers move because of actual, legitimate "bad situations," but mostly I feel that it is just a ploy that is used to hide the the real reason they are transfering, which is to win, win, win.

To address the whole transfer because of a bad situation debate:

While I will acknowledge that in some cases, transfering might absolutely be a last resort decision that needs to be made in terms of removing a player from a detrimental situation, I am in no way gullible enough to believe (and neither are most of the posters on this board) that most transfers take place because of "bad situations." My question is: What exactly makes the situation bad? Is it that Susie did not get the number of minutes or shots that she thought she deserved? Or is it that the coach made her run extra laps in practice because he did not like her attitude or work ethic? Or was it that she felt she was too good to play with all of the mediocre talent around her? Or it could have been that she and her parents felt like they knew more about what was best for the team than the coach did? Or was it that the coach did not put all the emphasis on her and her needs? Or maybe it was because the coach did not consult with her and her parents on every single coaching decision that was made? My point is that anyone can call a situation "bad" for any number of selfish and unfounded reasons, but that situation may only be "bad" becuase they are not getting what they want.

I think just about anyone who transfers will say they transfered because they were in a "bad situation." Even the young lady that AuntKim referred to who has transfered numerous times probably felt that she was in a "bad situation" at every school she attended, when in actuality, it was because she was not the "star" of the team and getting the number of minutes she thought she deserved. The "bad situation" excuse has been used numerous times on these boards for players who have transfered in all classifications. However, in one particular instance of a player that has transfered at some point over the past few years (it could be recent or not, but I'm trying to stick with the theme of anonymity), it was quoted that she was needing to leave a "bad situation." However, I, myslef, have heard the father of that particular player say in front of the parents of other players on her AAU team that the reason she was transfering was because he (and the daughther as well) wanted her to win a State Championship. Nothing was mentioned about her being in a "bad situation," just that she wanted to win a State Championship, so they moved to a school that has/had a great shot at winning one.

I do believe that in some instances that transfers move because of actual, legitimate "bad situations," but mostly I feel that it is just a ploy that is used to hide the the real reason they are transfering, which is to win, win, win.

good posti