Kevin Kegarise Rumor?

HSDAD

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if its that oak hill.. But (kevin) told a good friend of mine he's leaving franklin for oak hill.. I'm not sure if its a joke or what.. I'd like to get comfirmation from some people in franklin if this is true or not

Franklin player transfers to Oak Hill

By JEFF LOCKRIDGE • Staff Writer • August 4, 2008

Kevin Kegarise, a 6-foot-1 senior guard, withdrew from Franklin High on Monday and plans to enroll at national power Oak Hill Academy to play basketball.

Oak Hill, a college prep boarding school in Mouth of Wilson, Va., has been voted national champion seven times since 1993 and annually attracts some the nation’s top senior prospects.

“It’s going to be awesome,” said Kegarise, who went through an individual workout for Oak Hill coaches during a July visit. “When I made the gold (top) team, I was like, ‘Wait a minute … me?’ I was just shocked.

“My goal for college basketball is to play Division I. You get exposure to all these colleges at Oak Hill, which will really help.”

Kegarise emphasized he is attending Oak Hill to improve his academic standing and focus despite carrying a 3.3 GPA. He has no scholarship offers but is being recruited by Army, Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Wright State among others.

“He does very well in school, but I think the smaller class sizes will help him be more successful,” said his father, Jeff Kegarise. “It was a very difficult decision because we have no problems at all with Franklin. Kevin is leaving behind a sure thing for the unknown and that takes some guts.”

One of the area’s top 3-point shooters, Kegarise averaged 13 points as a junior and helped Franklin reach the Region 6-AAA semifinals. Antioch eliminated the Rebels 71-34.

“Oak Hill is getting one of the two or three best shooters I’ve ever coached,” Franklin Coach Jay Johnson said. “I hate to lose a guy in his senior year who has contributed so much, but you have to see this as an opportunity for him.”

Messages for Oak Hill Coach Steve Smith were not immediately returned.

As a point guard, Kegarise said his role at Oak Hill would be that of a distributor and defensive stopper.

“They’ve got a lot of good players on the team and I have to keep them happy,” he said.

Some of the more famous Oak Hill basketball alumni include Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, Celtics guard Rajon Rondo, Hawks forward Josh Smith and Mavericks forward Jerry Stackhouse.

Local athletes who have played at Oak Hill are Jamont Gordon (Glencliff, 2004-05), David Palmer (Antioch, 2004-05), Ron Slay (Pearl-Cohn, 1998-99), Terry Reynolds (Pearl-Cohn, 1998-99) and Ron Mercer (Goodpasture, 1994-95).

Franklin player transfers to Oak Hill

By JEFF LOCKRIDGE • Staff Writer • August 4, 2008

Kevin Kegarise, a 6-foot-1 senior guard, withdrew from Franklin High on Monday and plans to enroll at national power Oak Hill Academy to play basketball.

Oak Hill, a college prep boarding school in Mouth of Wilson, Va., has been voted national champion seven times since 1993 and annually attracts some the nation’s top senior prospects.

“It’s going to be awesome,” said Kegarise, who went through an individual workout for Oak Hill coaches during a July visit. “When I made the gold (top) team, I was like, ‘Wait a minute … me?’ I was just shocked.

“My goal for college basketball is to play Division I. You get exposure to all these colleges at Oak Hill, which will really help.”

Kegarise emphasized he is attending Oak Hill to improve his academic standing and focus despite carrying a 3.3 GPA. He has no scholarship offers but is being recruited by Army, Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Wright State among others.

“He does very well in school, but I think the smaller class sizes will help him be more successful,” said his father, Jeff Kegarise. “It was a very difficult decision because we have no problems at all with Franklin. Kevin is leaving behind a sure thing for the unknown and that takes some guts.”

One of the area’s top 3-point shooters, Kegarise averaged 13 points as a junior and helped Franklin reach the Region 6-AAA semifinals. Antioch eliminated the Rebels 71-34.

“Oak Hill is getting one of the two or three best shooters I’ve ever coached,” Franklin Coach Jay Johnson said. “I hate to lose a guy in his senior year who has contributed so much, but you have to see this as an opportunity for him.”

Messages for Oak Hill Coach Steve Smith were not immediately returned.

As a point guard, Kegarise said his role at Oak Hill would be that of a distributor and defensive stopper.

“They’ve got a lot of good players on the team and I have to keep them happy,” he said.

Some of the more famous Oak Hill basketball alumni include Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, Celtics guard Rajon Rondo, Hawks forward Josh Smith and Mavericks forward Jerry Stackhouse.

Local athletes who have played at Oak Hill are Jamont Gordon (Glencliff, 2004-05), David Palmer (Antioch, 2004-05), Ron Slay (Pearl-Cohn, 1998-99), Terry Reynolds (Pearl-Cohn, 1998-99) and Ron Mercer (Goodpasture, 1994-95).

Wow!! Well congraulations to him Oak Hill is a very good school both academically and athletically.

Why do I have a feeling that 7 teams in 11-AAA are having a huge party at this moment?

On a serious note, good luck to Kevin. He's a great guy, and a great player. Hope everything works out for him.

He was their go to man on the line and he was their biggest outside threat!

Although they are Senior heavy now, this has to change the way they will

play this year?

It's time to start worrying about the players Franklin has. Miight I remind you, Young, Starnes, Glover, Miller Mclemore, Henry, Haddix, Pace, etc.

Franklin is not a "one man team" by any means. Never has been.

Lets not forget when Kegarise did not play last year against Brentwood, Peyton Henry started and finished with 17 pts in a 16 pt win.

Those of you de-throning the Rebels in August, I'd make sure you knew what you are talking about.

Please, keep doubting...

It's time to start worrying about the players Franklin has. Miight I remind you, Young, Starnes, Glover, Miller Mclemore, Henry, Haddix, Pace, etc.

Franklin is not a "one man team" by any means. Never has been.

Lets not forget when Kegarise did not play last year against Brentwood, Peyton Henry started and finished with 17 pts in a 16 pt win.

Those of you de-throning the Rebels in August, I'd make sure you knew what you are talking about.

Please, keep doubting...

im not taking away anything from the franklin players now.. they are pretty good players but taking away their best outside presence is a huge deal. and yes i will continue to doubt.. but doubt that they will go undefeated in the district, not that they will not still be a really good team