Maryville Freshman Class

AHSBUTTER

Just a question......I recognize some of these names from when my son played football at Friendsville and baseball at MLL. These Leagues were based on age and the names I see played on the same age Teams as my son who is now a Sophomore. Have some of these boys been "held back?" Maybe I am wrong or maybe their bithdays are later in the year.

Them boys cood haiv been like me and had two reetake thair bondo klass.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question......I recognize some of these names from when my son played football at Friendsville and baseball at MLL. These Leagues were based on age and the names I see played on the same age Teams as my son who is now a Sophomore. Have some of these boys been "held back?" Maybe I am wrong or maybe their bithdays are later in the year.

Generaly every male student who is potentialy athletic is placed in Junior primary at Maryvile this is a grade between kindergarten and 1st grade so yes every Maryvile football player is a year older than the average player at other local schools. This does provide a slight competitive advantage especialy in middle school and I do not understand why other schools do not do this to aid in the developement of athletics.

As for this years freshmen West, Tate, Guy, and Robinette will be the future stars for the rebels, the others I would not expect spectacular careers out of but they will be very solid contributors.

Generaly every male student who is potentialy athletic is placed in Junior primary at Maryvile this is a grade between kindergarten and 1st grade so yes every Maryvile football player is a year older than the average player at other local schools. This does provide a slight competitive advantage especialy in middle school and I do not understand why other schools do not do this to aid in the developement of athletics.

As for this years freshmen West, Tate, Guy, and Robinette will be the future stars for the rebels, the others I would not expect spectacular careers out of but they will be very solid contributors.

I will say this... there are some others (quite a few ) who will surprise you ... they are coming and they will be hard to handle.

Amazingly ignorant statements. Very few attend Junior Primary....If they do go the JP route, it's usually those with summer birthdays. With almost no exceptions, the best players at MHS today are playing in the normal grade/age....I know all these juniors and seniors and actually know the months they were born. As for "potentially athletic" at age 5...give me a break. More ignorant spewing form the uninformed.

Amazingly ignorant statements. Very few attend Junior Primary....If they do go the JP route, it's usually those with summer birthdays. With almost no exceptions, the best players at MHS today are playing in the normal grade/age....I know all these juniors and seniors and actually know the months they were born. As for "potentially athletic" at age 5...give me a break. More ignorant spewing form the uninformed.

Tell us how you really feel Papaw.

It appears you have taken offense to my comments when none was intended one fellow mentioned that his son had played with many of the players being mentioned on this board even though his son was in a more advanced grade. He asked for an explanation and I provided one, and an accurate one at that. I did not demean Maryville for this but in fact gave my utmost and sincere praise for such a program. I believe this program was in fact one of the reason Patton Robinette repeated 8th grade to catch up physically with his classmates because when he was at Maryvile he forwent his year of junior primary. I am sorry you do not appreciate what I have said but it is the answer to the question that was posed.

You say "Generaly every male student who is potentialy athletic is placed in Junior primary" (my bold).

This couldn't be further from the truth. In a freshmen football class of 52 players, a "few" went the JP route....not "generally every male who is potentially athletic ".

I was not offended. I was just correcting your incorrect portrayal. Like I said, I know most of these kids and their birthdays. In youth sports, the baseball age cutoff is different from the football age cutoff is different from the basketball age cutoff is different from the AAU age cutoff. There are many more answers than the one you spread.

It appears you have taken offense to my comments when none was intended one fellow mentioned that his son had played with many of the players being mentioned on this board even though his son was in a more advanced grade. He asked for an explanation and I provided one, and an accurate one at that. I did not demean Maryville for this but in fact gave my utmost and sincere praise for such a program. I believe this program was in fact one of the reason Patton Robinette repeated 8th grade to catch up physically with his classmates because when he was at Maryvile he forwent his year of junior primary. I am sorry you do not appreciate what I have said but it is the answer to the question that was posed.

Is it ok to hold kids back just because they have not developed enough to compete or start at Maryville.

Is it ok to hold kids back just because they have not developed enough to compete or start at Maryville.

Yes, it helps the player and the school if the player is a year more physicaly advanced, it is a situation with no downside. But the way you addressed the question it seems that you disagree and I would like to know why.

oldrebel2 after reviewing my comments I have realized I may have presented a slight inaccuracy instead of saying most potenialy athletic males, I probably should have said all males who do not excel exceedingly in academics are put in Junior Primary but the sentiment of my comments was accurate.

oldrebel2 after reviewing my comments I have realized I may have presented a slight inaccuracy instead of saying most potenialy athletic males, I probably should have said all males who do not excel exceedingly in academics are put in Junior Primary but the sentiment of my comments was accurate.

This may be the dumbest comment I have ever read on a forum...........and I have read and posted many.