District 3 AAA

xsoccer1x

I watched Powell in their scrimmage against Lenior City and i was impressed by their goalkeepers. The starter was scored on but she was impressive for 10 minutes and their back-up didn't have much of a challenge against her so i can't fully judge how she is doing. West high impressive as usual but i didn't see a great jump from their last years team. I saw a major jump in Powell's keepers they look much better than they did last year. She looked way too nervous and inexperienced. I see good things for Powell in the soon future there entire team has been together for a while and if this new coach is as good as i've heard next year Powell might be headed to state possibly going for a title.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Powell in their scrimmage against Lenior City and i was impressed by their goalkeepers. The starter was scored on but she was impressive for 10 minutes and their back-up didn't have much of a challenge against her so i can't fully judge how she is doing. West high impressive as usual but i didn't see a great jump from their last years team. I saw a major jump in Powell's keepers they look much better than they did last year. She looked way too nervous and inexperienced. I see good things for Powell in the soon future there entire team has been together for a while and if this new coach is as good as i've heard next year Powell might be headed to state possibly going for a title.

Very Kind words regarding Powell, I wonder what area you are from. As far as the Coach, that may be our handicap, he definitely thinks he is the greatest thing to come to coaching since slice bread came to the dinner table. I thought in the beginning we would do well this year, however for all the Coaches/Referees/informed Parents let the discussion begin on the following statement. " I haven't seen anyone out here that really knows how to play soccer the right way, it is going to take alot of work to teach you how to play soccer" Bear in mind he has been given a nucleus of a Varsity that has 2 Div 1 U17 Players, 3 Div 1 U16 Players, and at the least 10 Divison 2 U16/U17 Players from Competitive Teams.........It is going to be a very interesting season. I don't know whether he will be able to teach these girls how to play soccer, if their Competitive Team Coaches have done such a horrible job to this point.......ahhh the drama of kids sports.....

Not trying to be a jerk, but I do have a question!

If your keeper got a workout in the first 10 minutes against Lenoir City, don't you think it will be a long year?

Especially in the region and district Powell resides in?

Not trying to be a jerk, but I do have a question!

If your keeper got a workout in the first 10 minutes against Lenoir City, don't you think it will be a long year?

Especially in the region and district Powell resides in?

Seriously, I totally agree with you Ref, other than the one goal, keeper wasn't tested......... If you was one of the refs in that game, surely you know the Coach did not play his best lineup at any point in the game either. Too much mix and match trying to get JV and bench level players playing time with the better players.

What was the score between powell and LC?

The score was 1-1. Knowing people close to the program it seems the Powell program is on the verge of falling apart. All coaches have their styles of coaching, if this were a college program the girls could base their decision on a school and pick what program or coach best fits them. High school players don't have option. I'm saying that because it seems that some of the Powell players are very unhappy. There is alot of talent on that team to have a wasted season because of a coach trying to put his mark on a team. I wouldn't be suprised if Powell doesn't have some players decide to leave. What a shame.

The score was 1-1. Knowing people close to the program it seems the Powell program is on the verge of falling apart. All coaches have their styles of coaching, if this were a college program the girls could base their decision on a school and pick what program or coach best fits them. High school players don't have option. I'm saying that because it seems that some of the Powell players are very unhappy. There is alot of talent on that team to have a wasted season because of a coach trying to put his mark on a team. I wouldn't be suprised if Powell doesn't have some players decide to leave. What a shame.

From the outside looking in it seems this powell program has alot of talent, but cannot seem to mesh well together or with coaches. Last year Harvey was ran off and he has been there for years and has done a wonderful job. Now a new coach and it seems to be the same story the coach won't play the girls the parents and kids think need to be on the field together. I know coaches do some wierd things, but maybe if everyone quit complaining (cause if you do it on here you do it in front of the kids) and let the coach do what it is he envisons whether right or wrong. It seems that this early in the season that he is already being blasted and loosing the lockerroom which is a shame, he at least deserves a shot!

From the outside looking in it seems this powell program has alot of talent, but cannot seem to mesh well together or with coaches. Last year Harvey was ran off and he has been there for years and has done a wonderful job. Now a new coach and it seems to be the same story the coach won't play the girls the parents and kids think need to be on the field together. I know coaches do some wierd things, but maybe if everyone quit complaining (cause if you do it on here you do it in front of the kids) and let the coach do what it is he envisons whether right or wrong. It seems that this early in the season that he is already being blasted and loosing the lockerroom which is a shame, he at least deserves a shot!

I think the key statement there is "outside looking in". If you really knew the details you would know that 99% of the girls and parents were fine with Harvey. There was one family that had a problem and ruined it for the whole team. I'm sure if you asked the players and parents last year or this year they would tell you the same thing. Harvey was as you say "ran off" when the system failed by allowing one family to do him in. To imply Harvey was gone because of parents and kids being unhappy with line-ups or playing time is just stupid.

I think the key statement there is "outside looking in". If you really knew the details you would know that 99% of the girls and parents were fine with Harvey. There was one family that had a problem and ruined it for the whole team. I'm sure if you asked the players and parents last year or this year they would tell you the same thing. Harvey was as you say "ran off" when the system failed by allowing one family to do him in. To imply Harvey was gone because of parents and kids being unhappy with line-ups or playing time is just stupid.

Last year during the season when Harvey was still there transam was complaining about the fact that the right girls were not playing, and this is just like we are hearing about this year! That would be the reason I made the "stupid" comment

Last year during the season when Harvey was still there transam was complaining about the fact that the right girls were not playing, and this is just like we are hearing about this year! That would be the reason I made the "stupid" comment

In all my years of coaching different sports I have never witnessed a team when every parent or player was 100% happy with a coach. This is hard to understand but very true, some player is not getting enough playing time or one player is in the wrong position. A coach in the end makes that determination win, lose or draw and the players and fans either live with it or leave. My response to your post was made because you made it seem that the Powell players and parents can't be happy with a coach. They seem to be very happy with their club coach and the majority were happy when Harvey was there. I don't have a daughter on the team but I do have a very close family friend whose daughter plays. I have known Harvey for years, even before he started teaching and coaching, I am very close to the program and keep in touch. My daughter plays for another school in knoxville and the same conversations go on in reference to her coach.

In all my years of coaching different sports I have never witnessed a team when every parent or player was 100% happy with a coach. This is hard to understand but very true, some player is not getting enough playing time or one player is in the wrong position. A coach in the end makes that determination win, lose or draw and the players and fans either live with it or leave. My response to your post was made because you made it seem that the Powell players and parents can't be happy with a coach. They seem to be very happy with their club coach and the majority were happy when Harvey was there. I don't have a daughter on the team but I do have a very close family friend whose daughter plays. I have known Harvey for years, even before he started teaching and coaching, I am very close to the program and keep in touch. My daughter plays for another school in knoxville and the same conversations go on in reference to her coach.

I think G will back me up here in order to have a successful program the players, parents, and boosters must whole heartedly buy into what the coach is doing if there are doubts they will show on the field.

I think G will back me up here in order to have a successful program the players, parents, and boosters must whole heartedly buy into what the coach is doing if there are doubts they will show on the field.

Now, EatTNref... don't drag me into this one!

I see things from both sides. Keeperfan said it well when he said that no program has parents who agree 100% with the coach's decisions. I don't care how many championships you have won, or licenses you have, when sports are involved with the addition of someone's children, parents are going to dissagree at some time with the coach. And that is ok. There isn't a coach alive that makes no mistakes... I do all the time! BUT, you need to have good communication between the parents, players and coaches, and parents and players need to give the coach the benefit of the doubt to prove himself. Coaches need to be careful on not coming across as a "know it all" or "my way or the highway" person. Even though the coach most likely does know what he is doing, and the coaches decisions are final, as the old saying goes, "honey works so much better than vinegar" in most parent/coach relationships.

As a coach, the MOST valuable lesson I learned was to admit when I was wrong or made a mistake. And admit that out loud to my players if necessary. That doesn't degrade your position... in fact, I think it can strengthen it if done the right way.

But to flip flop back in EastTNref's court, I think in order to be truly successful, having everyone buy into what you are doing will build a STRONG program. But in order to do this, it takes a LOT of work off the field, and on the phone or e mails or with the players after practice. If they know that you truly care more about the lives of the players than the winning losing percentages, than parents will jump on board.