District 3 AAA

xsoccer1x

Now, EatTNref... don't drag me into this one!

I see things from both sides. Keeperfan said it well when he said that no program has parents who agree 100% with the coach's decisions. I don't care how many championships you have won, or licenses you have, when sports are involved with the addition of someone's children, parents are going to dissagree at some time with the coach. And that is ok. There isn't a coach alive that makes no mistakes... I do all the time! BUT, you need to have good communication between the parents, players and coaches, and parents and players need to give the coach the benefit of the doubt to prove himself. Coaches need to be careful on not coming across as a "know it all" or "my way or the highway" person. Even though the coach most likely does know what he is doing, and the coaches decisions are final, as the old saying goes, "honey works so much better than vinegar" in most parent/coach relationships.

As a coach, the MOST valuable lesson I learned was to admit when I was wrong or made a mistake. And admit that out loud to my players if necessary. That doesn't degrade your position... in fact, I think it can strengthen it if done the right way.

But to flip flop back in EastTNref's court, I think in order to be truly successful, having everyone buy into what you are doing will build a STRONG program. But in order to do this, it takes a LOT of work off the field, and on the phone or e mails or with the players after practice. If they know that you truly care more about the lives of the players than the winning losing percentages, than parents will jump on board.

Tom,

I agree with you 100%

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, EatTNref... don't drag me into this one!

I see things from both sides. Keeperfan said it well when he said that no program has parents who agree 100% with the coach's decisions. I don't care how many championships you have won, or licenses you have, when sports are involved with the addition of someone's children, parents are going to dissagree at some time with the coach. And that is ok. There isn't a coach alive that makes no mistakes... I do all the time! BUT, you need to have good communication between the parents, players and coaches, and parents and players need to give the coach the benefit of the doubt to prove himself. Coaches need to be careful on not coming across as a "know it all" or "my way or the highway" person. Even though the coach most likely does know what he is doing, and the coaches decisions are final, as the old saying goes, "honey works so much better than vinegar" in most parent/coach relationships.

As a coach, the MOST valuable lesson I learned was to admit when I was wrong or made a mistake. And admit that out loud to my players if necessary. That doesn't degrade your position... in fact, I think it can strengthen it if done the right way.

But to flip flop back in EastTNref's court, I think in order to be truly successful, having everyone buy into what you are doing will build a STRONG program. But in order to do this, it takes a LOT of work off the field, and on the phone or e mails or with the players after practice. If they know that you truly care more about the lives of the players than the winning losing percentages, than parents will jump on board.

Good post Big G

Possibly from a different perspective. My daughter completed her high school career last year. She had the good fortune to play at a school that was competetive all 4 of her years there. She played for a coach that was not all that communicative with the parents, which was a change from the select coach that she played for. He did and does communicate very well with the players. There were times that I sat in the stands and wondered "What is he thinking?". IMHO my role as a parent was to support my daughter by supporting her coach when she came home ready to strangle him, praise him, or nominate him for sainthood. Take your pick, because over 4 years all three were the case at some point (sometimes within the same week). At various times based on talent level and opponent, he ran 4-4-2, 3-5-2, high pressure, low pressure etc. All of that pales in comparison to the difference that he made in her life as an educator. She is headed to college as a more confident, young lady because of what he taught her about life, teamwork, and persistance. Also choosing to forego a collegiate soccer career (dang it!) to pursue a course of study in a very competetive professional career. Would it be better if he communicated better with the parents? Maybe, but first things first.

Possibly from a different perspective. My daughter completed her high school career last year. She had the good fortune to play at a school that was competetive all 4 of her years there. She played for a coach that was not all that communicative with the parents, which was a change from the select coach that she played for. He did and does communicate very well with the players. There were times that I sat in the stands and wondered "What is he thinking?". IMHO my role as a parent was to support my daughter by supporting her coach when she came home ready to strangle him, praise him, or nominate him for sainthood. Take your pick, because over 4 years all three were the case at some point (sometimes within the same week). At various times based on talent level and opponent, he ran 4-4-2, 3-5-2, high pressure, low pressure etc. All of that pales in comparison to the difference that he made in her life as an educator. She is headed to college as a more confident, young lady because of what he taught her about life, teamwork, and persistance. Also choosing to forego a collegiate soccer career (dang it!) to pursue a course of study in a very competetive professional career. Would it be better if he communicated better with the parents? Maybe, but first things first.

Okay, well that definitely got the discussion going, and I agree with alot of what everyone has said. The key issue really the major issue I have, is when you choose a captain (and no it wasn't my daughter even though she was last year for Harvey), and you ask her to be open and talk to you as a Coach, and you want her input when there is a problem; do you blast her and tell her she doesn't even know how to play soccer the right way, and her idea is Stupid? Do you rip your Assistant Coach apart infront of the girls? Just my thoughts and observations as a former Competitive Soccer Coach and Former High School and College Player. For the record, he has not really been that hard on my daughter compared to how hard I was on her, but if her teammates are distressed, upset and for the first time in their soccer careers are praying for rain so they don't have to go to practice to be berrated you tell me.

Okay, well that definitely got the discussion going, and I agree with alot of what everyone has said. The key issue really the major issue I have, is when you choose a captain (and no it wasn't my daughter even though she was last year for Harvey), and you ask her to be open and talk to you as a Coach, and you want her input when there is a problem; do you blast her and tell her she doesn't even know how to play soccer the right way, and her idea is Stupid? Do you rip your Assistant Coach apart infront of the girls? Just my thoughts and observations as a former Competitive Soccer Coach and Former High School and College Player. For the record, he has not really been that hard on my daughter compared to how hard I was on her, but if her teammates are distressed, upset and for the first time in their soccer careers are praying for rain so they don't have to go to practice to be berrated you tell me.

If you want your daughter to sit the bench all season, trashing her coach in a public forum is a sure way to do it. You had better hope for her sake that he doesn't figure out who you are. If she was a captain last year, and doesn't play this year, your comments here may be the main reason why.

If he cannot identify you, he may simply punish the entire team.

I have a question for you, ws6transam30. You claim to be a former coach. Did you apply for the Powell coaching position? As they say, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

If you want your daughter to sit the bench all season, trashing her coach in a public forum is a sure way to do it. You had better hope for her sake that he doesn't figure out who you are. If she was a captain last year, and doesn't play this year, your comments here may be the main reason why.

I have a question for you, ws6transam30. You claim to be a former coach. Did you apply for the Powell coaching position? As they say, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

First of all, I am not trying to trash him, was looking for informed input. As far as my daughter, that is the reason I am looking for input considering her love for the game and her teammates. I know what the easy solution would be, her not play High School Soccer and let her play as a guest player on some of the surrounding states Competitive teams.

Secondly, I would love to Coach those girls, however, based on my experience not a wise move to Coach your own child at that age number one. I would be way harder on her than she would deserve so as to avoid the insinuation of partiality. Thirdly, I have a son that is playing football and it would be unfair to him if I was so wrapped up in Coaching her that I was unable to attend any of his games or practices. Not that it is your business, but I am all they have in the parent department!

It sounds to me like these girls are just having a rough go of it in highschool. Losing a coach is never easy and the transition to another is not any easier. It is just so early in the season to be having issues, and it the same issues we heard on here last year about the coach not playing the right players on the field, coach belittling the girls, etc...

The coach has not even got to coach a real game yet and is getting bashed to a certain extent in a open forum. I would have to agree with soccermom, dad it may just be time for you to take a backseat on this one and hit the mute button.

Different coaches have different styles and his may be what sounds like an old school in your face approach. Break them down early and build them down the stretch.

I am not trying to to be hard on you transam you asked for advice, but it seems like you all are in a pickle again!

I still say give the man a chance though.

I watched Powell in their scrimmage against Lenior City and i was impressed by their goalkeepers. The starter was scored on but she was impressive for 10 minutes and their back-up didn't have much of a challenge against her so i can't fully judge how she is doing. West high impressive as usual but i didn't see a great jump from their last years team. I saw a major jump in Powell's keepers they look much better than they did last year. She looked way too nervous and inexperienced. I see good things for Powell in the soon future there entire team has been together for a while and if this new coach is as good as i've heard next year Powell might be headed to state possibly going for a title.

This is how this thread started and look where we are now.

Going to advance to....

It sounds to me like these girls are just having a rough go of it in highschool. Losing a coach is never easy and the transition to another is not any easier. It is just so early in the season to be having issues, and it the same issues we heard on here last year about the coach not playing the right players on the field, coach belittling the girls, etc...

The coach has not even got to coach a real game yet and is getting bashed to a certain extent in a open forum. I would have to agree with soccermom, dad it may just be time for you to take a backseat on this one and hit the mute button.

Different coaches have different styles and his may be what sounds like an old school in your face approach. Break them down early and build them down the stretch.

I am not trying to to be hard on you transam you asked for advice, but it seems like you all are in a pickle again!

You have learned well, my young padawan!!!

Well said, AGAIN.

Okay, ET Ref, for the record, I believe it was also you that said in another thread, the one On the West Jamboree that the Powell Team didn't appear ready to play. I wonder who's responsibility it is to have the Team ready to play?