chearleading

MJHS6009

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> cheerleading is not a sport

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> cheerleading is not a sport

Cheerleading is sometimes a sport if you have a building and tumbling squad. The girls work hard /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Wow. I can only think of a few reasons why you would start the thread with that statement. 1. You didn't make cheerleading - 2. A cheerleader wouldn't date you - 3. You??™re jealous because you can't do it.

All sports are hard and take alot of dedication and I respect every student that represents thier schools, but you are correct cheerleading isn't considered a sport by most schools but an activity. Is cheerleading a sport, here are a few facts for you think about.

Stunting - Cheerleaders left each other not for a second but over and over and hold these flyers in the air for a period of time. They throw flyers in the air and have to then catch them. Just to be able to perform these stunts they spend hours practicing. Throwing, catching---Repeat. It is alot harder then it looks. I would tell you to try throwing a friend in the air or even lifting them but it is dangerous so don't try it at home.

Practice - Most cheerleading squads practice at least 6 hours a week. They give up weekends and evening to take extra classes in tumbling, dancing, and stunting. They practice year around. Some cheerleaders cheer for football & basketball and on competition squads. Basketball cheerleaders cheer 4 to 6 games a week.

Tumbling - Most cheerleaders are required to have a backhand spring to even try out to cheer. Those cheerleaders that tumble spend hours in the gym and put their bodies through alot of torture. All of these hours are spent on their own time at night or on the weekends. Want to know how it feels try to tackle a brick wall without any pads or a helmet, then you will know how it feels to land on the ground over and over while trying to get it.

Requirements - They do not get to practice the last period of school like most athletes since cheerleading is an activity. They carry full class loads and have higher standards when it comes to grades and are held to higher moral standards at most schools. Just read some of the rules they receive before tryouts that they have to sign. Then of course there is also the money for the privilege of cheering. They also spend hours painting signs, planning pep rallies, decorating schools to provide school spirit. Most squads are also required to voluteer time in thier community. Again all of these things are done on thier own time.

Don't get me wrong it is an honor to represent your school and all of the above things are just part of it. It might not be considered a sport by most but I welcome anyone that thinks it is easy to sign up. For all those cheerleaders out there that are tired of people like MJHS6009 knocking cheerleaders - Here is a challenge for you MJHS6009: Come cheer, stunt, tumble and dance and then spout about what you think is a sport and what isn't. By the way are you involved in any school sports or do you just like running those students that are down?

At YAI, cheerleading IS THE sport!!!.. right under football.

is YAI an all girls school lol

I dont think so!! If you watched any football game the dragons played last year... you would definately know otherwise! I only had to watch two of their games to figure that one out. and just incase you didnt know... Most college cheerleaders were highschool football players!!! so you should probably go sit through a cheerleading practice before you go running your mouths about cheerleading not being a sport!

Wow. I can only think of a few reasons why you would start the thread with that statement. 1. You didn't make cheerleading - 2. A cheerleader wouldn't date you - 3. You??™re jealous because you can't do it.

All sports are hard and take alot of dedication and I respect every student that represents thier schools, but you are correct cheerleading isn't considered a sport by most schools but an activity. Is cheerleading a sport, here are a few facts for you think about.

Stunting - Cheerleaders left each other not for a second but over and over and hold these flyers in the air for a period of time. They throw flyers in the air and have to then catch them. Just to be able to perform these stunts they spend hours practicing. Throwing, catching---Repeat. It is alot harder then it looks. I would tell you to try throwing a friend in the air or even lifting them but it is dangerous so don't try it at home.

Practice - Most cheerleading squads practice at least 6 hours a week. They give up weekends and evening to take extra classes in tumbling, dancing, and stunting. They practice year around. Some cheerleaders cheer for football & basketball and on competition squads. Basketball cheerleaders cheer 4 to 6 games a week.

Tumbling - Most cheerleaders are required to have a backhand spring to even try out to cheer. Those cheerleaders that tumble spend hours in the gym and put their bodies through alot of torture. All of these hours are spent on their own time at night or on the weekends. Want to know how it feels try to tackle a brick wall without any pads or a helmet, then you will know how it feels to land on the ground over and over while trying to get it.

Requirements - They do not get to practice the last period of school like most athletes since cheerleading is an activity. They carry full class loads and have higher standards when it comes to grades and are held to higher moral standards at most schools. Just read some of the rules they receive before tryouts that they have to sign. Then of course there is also the money for the privilege of cheering. They also spend hours painting signs, planning pep rallies, decorating schools to provide school spirit. Most squads are also required to voluteer time in thier community. Again all of these things are done on thier own time.

Don't get me wrong it is an honor to represent your school and all of the above things are just part of it. It might not be considered a sport by most but I welcome anyone that thinks it is easy to sign up. For all those cheerleaders out there that are tired of people like MJHS6009 knocking cheerleaders - Here is a challenge for you MJHS6009: Come cheer, stunt, tumble and dance and then spout about what you think is a sport and what isn't. By the way are you involved in any school sports or do you just like running those students that are down?

You tell 'em ghsmom10!!!!

I dont think so!! If you watched any football game the dragons played last year... you would definately know otherwise! I only had to watch two of their games to figure that one out. and just incase you didnt know... Most college cheerleaders were highschool football players!!! so you should probably go sit through a cheerleading practice before you go running your mouths about cheerleading not being a sport!

You tell 'em ghsmom10!!!!

yeah yeah yeah girls go get them and tell them what cheerleading is all about

• 2 weeks later...

yeah yeah yeah girls go get them and tell them what cheerleading is all about

vanburen its ok no will question your guy hood if you say it is a sport. lol. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I coach an allstar co-ed cheer squad and have football & basketball players that stunt. These guys are the best for this because they are use to the workouts and dedication that co-ed cheerleading requires. But if you want to know if it is hard and a work out ask one of my guys a month before nationals after they have practiced 6-8 hours a week not throwing balls or shooting hoops but lifting girls over thier heads for two hours of practice. They only have one shot to get it right and don't have quarters or halfs to correct the score. Bet you wouldn't last a week, want to put your body where your mouth is... I always have a spot for a new All-Star... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

PS - Cheerleaders is kind of old school we call them All-Stars.....