Wildcat Wrestling

slip37184

I find it rather difficult to believe that someone would actually disrespect the coaches at Wilson Central by stating that the team only participates. If my memory serves me correctly, we took district and regional champs in the 2006-2007 year and was regional runner up in the 2007-2008 year. We also took more wrestlers to state those two years than any other. Yes we have a new Coach at Wilson Central and he knows wrestling, and we are very excited to have him. It was coach Whites desire to step down so that he could spend more time with his family. And of course the person that posted the remark in question, well his son does not even wrestle for Wilson Central any longer! When his son did wrestle for Wilson Central he had alot of potential and was a fine athlete when he listen to his coaches and not his DAD!

I find it rather difficult to believe that someone would actually disrespect the coaches at Wilson Central by stating that the team only participates. If my memory serves me correctly, we took district and regional champs in the 2006-2007 year and was regional runner up in the 2007-2008 year. We also took more wrestlers to state those two years than any other. Yes we have a new Coach at Wilson Central and he knows wrestling, and we are very excited to have him. It was coach Whites desire to step down so that he could spend more time with his family. And of course the person that posted the remark in question, well his son does not even wrestle for Wilson Central any longer! When his son did wrestle for Wilson Central he had alot of potential and was a fine athlete when he listen to his coaches and not his DAD!

Slip,

Well since you want details, here is what I sent you earlier....

Slip,

How about we agree that running in wrestling shoes instead of wrestling, stretching before w/ups - "cold", wrestling on dirty mats, and a total disreguard for strength training WILL NO LONGER BE A PART OF THE WC PROGRAM! Wrestling is not an aerobic activity! You can run like the wind, and die in round 2 if you don't address this problem!

Region 8 is either the weakest region in the state or the second weakest. It is no

great feat becoming the champ of a weak region. In order to be competitive, you must

now wrestle outside of the school season (AAU and/or USAW). I am sure that the new

coach has a plan for this as well. WC shields their kids from tough competition. They do

not wrestle the top teams and they do not compete in the tough tournaments.

I believe that WC has either one or two 3x state qualifiers who have never placed @

state? Any ideas why?

WC will now benefit from a coach with experience - who has a long term plan to develop wrestlers.

Heck we started the year with around 35 kids only to finish with around 17.

That is not how you build a program in wrestling. You must give the JV and Freshman

teams quality instruction and an opportunity to compete. After talking with the new coach, I am sure he will address all the issues mentioned above and be able to build a program for the future.

There will be big changes in the wrestling program @ WC. I am pleased that WC has secured

a quality wrestling coach for their program. Those kids deserve the opportunity to excel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any more comments????

Slip,

Well sense you want details, here is what I sent you earlier....

Slip,

How about we agree that running in wrestling shoes instead of wrestling, stretching before w/ups - "cold", wrestling on dirty mats, and a total disreguard for strength training WILL NO LONGER BE A PART OF THE WC PROGRAM! Wrestling is not an aerobic activity! You can run like the wind, and die in round 2 if you don't address this problem!

Region 8 is either the weakest region in the state or the second weakest. It is no

great feat becoming the champ of a weak region. In order to be competitive, you must

now wrestle outside of the school season (AAU and/or USAW). I am sure that the new

coach has a plan for this as well. WC shields their kids from tough competition. They do

not wrestle the top teams and they do not compete in the tough tournaments.

I believe that WC has either one or two 3x state qualifiers who have never placed @

state? Any ideas why?

WC will now benefit from a coach with experience - who has a long term plan to develop wrestlers.

Heck we started the year with around 35 kids only to finish with around 17.

That is not how you build a program in wrestling. You must give the JV and Freshman

teams quality instruction and an opportunity to compete. After talking with the new coach, I am sure he will address all the issues mentioned above and be able to build a program for the future.

There will be big changes in the wrestling program @ WC. I am pleased that WC has secured

a quality wrestling coach for their program. Those kids deserve the opportunity to excel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any more comments????

Yes as a matter of fact I do have more comments,

I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes no strength training, strength training starts in the summer along with drills and conditioning. Which you would not know anything about that due to the fact that a certain 215 pounder did not partake! And as far as no stretching? That was done every day before warm ups. Strength training was also included during regular practice days, maybe those were the days that you were not there! Now I do admit that the mats could have been cleaned more often than they were, but as far as running goes it helps build endurance and stamina. There were certain wrestlers that had lame Dr's notes to keep from running and as far as I am concerned those were the ones dying in the second period. And lets not forget the one who died also in round # 2 because his father made him cut out carbs so that he could maintain weight! Do you think that was healthy? And you complained about dirty mats?

Yes as a matter of fact I do have more comments,

I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes no strength training, strength training starts in the summer along with drills and conditioning. Which you would not know anything about that due to the fact that a certain 215 pounder did not partake! And as far as no stretching? That was done every day before warm ups. Strength training was also included during regular practice days, maybe those were the days that you were not there! Now I do admit that the mats could have been cleaned more often than they were, but as far as running goes it helps build endurance and stamina. There were certain wrestlers that had lame Dr's notes to keep from running and as far as I am concerned those were the ones dying in the second period. And lets not forget the one who died also in round # 2 because his father made him cut out carbs so that he could maintain weight! Do you think that was healthy? And you complained about dirty mats?

LOL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> You just don't get it.

Thank you for confirming my point on the stretching. You see, most people know that you are not supposed to stretch cold. Most people, but not WC. You are to stretch after your body warms up! I tried to tell you guys last year! The 215 pounder mentioned weighed 245 and was training hard on his own during the summer. As far as strength training, he was the strongest by far. Obviously, strength training alone does not make a wrestler, but it helps.

I believe that strength training should continue through out the season. Not just preseason. But I am not the coach.

I bet the new coach has them lift through out this season, would you like to wager on it?? They never hit the gym during the season last year. And while we are discussing running, in addition to all the running/jogging they did at practice, he ran sprints on his own. There were days during the season that they never touched the mat because someone thought that jogging was better for them than wrestling??? Running/jogging is a good thing, but it does not train your body for wrestling. Thanks again! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Sprinting is better for you than just jogging for 1.5 to 2+ hrs a day. They only thing that jogging for that long will do for a wrestler is strip the muscle off the body.

I know that my son was carb depleted, it was neccesary to keep him under 215. Going from 245 to 215 and maintaining 215 was very hard for him. His body did not like the food restrictions. Mat cleaning should occur before and after each practice, not just before you wrestle a dual match. When you decide to skip on mat cleaning, you risk the health of my child and the health of the other wrestlers on teams who wrestle on your mats. This is not

a joke and you should be ashamed of the fact that you agreed that they could have been cleaned better. It's just not right PERIOD!

Like I said earlier, there should be big changes @ WC this year.

Thanks for the reply coach, I knew you would stick your neck out, it made my day!

IMHO ...the program at WC needed a complete over haul

did not look like guys had very much technique at all...just did not know how to wrestle or compete

this is not a personal slam or an attempt at one...just an observation after watching 3 years worth of teams

good luck to the new coach...WC and all the TN schools deserve a quality wrestling coach that know wrestling...good for the sport...good for the wrestlers...and good for TN wrestling

LOL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> You just don't get it.

Thank you for confirming my point on the stretching. You see, most people know that you are not supposed to stretch cold. Most people, but not WC. You are to stretch after your body warms up! I tried to tell you guys last year! The 215 pounder mentioned weighed 245 and was training hard on his own during the summer. As far as strength training, he was the strongest by far. Obviously, strength training alone does not make a wrestler, but it helps.

I believe that strength training should continue through out the season. Not just preseason. But I am not the coach.

I bet the new coach has them lift through out this season, would you like to wager on it?? They never hit the gym during the season last year. And while we are discussing running, in addition to all the running/jogging they did at practice, he ran sprints on his own. There were days during the season that they never touched the mat because someone thought that jogging was better for them than wrestling??? Running/jogging is a good thing, but it does not train your body for wrestling. Thanks again! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Sprinting is better for you than just jogging for 1.5 to 2+ hrs a day. They only thing that jogging for that long will do for a wrestler is strip the muscle off the body.

I know that my son was carb depleted, it was neccesary to keep him under 215. Going from 245 to 215 and maintaining 215 was very hard for him. His body did not like the food restrictions. Mat cleaning should occur before and after each practice, not just before you wrestle a dual match. When you decide to skip on mat cleaning, you risk the health of my child and the health of the other wrestlers on teams who wrestle on your mats. This is not

a joke and you should be ashamed of the fact that you agreed that they could have been cleaned better. It's just not right PERIOD!

Like I said earlier, there should be big changes @ WC this year.

Thanks for the reply coach, I knew you would stick your neck out, it made my day!

Look you and I both know that I am new to this sport and I have alot to learn, and with this new coach I know that he will lead me in the right direction. But if there is one thing that I always did is looked out for the best interest of the kids. They never had any warm-ups, sweats or anything like that before, they never had a giant photo of the team in the Grand Hallway. I did what I could to support the TEAM and to tell them that I believed in them and do what ever I could for them. There were other parents that I could lean on for help also and I know that I could depend on them for support! What did you do? Complain, complain and complain! Not every coach is perfect and not every coach always makes the right choices we are human not robots! I even have a parent that helps coach for free! And he would be the first one that would grab a mop and help me clean the mats. You know we could keep back and forth on his but I am not going to lower my self down to your level and I just hope that you give Mt. Juliet coaches support and not grief like you have us! All I can say now is better them than us!

Look you and I both know that I am new to this sport and I have alot to learn, and with this new coach I know that he will lead me in the right direction. But if there is one thing that I always did is looked out for the best interest of the kids. They never had any warm-ups, sweats or anything like that before, they never had a giant photo of the team in the Grand Hallway. I did what I could to support the TEAM and to tell them that I believed in them and do what ever I could for them. There were other parents that I could lean on for help also and I know that I could depend on them for support! What did you do? Complain, complain and complain! Not every coach is perfect and not every coach always makes the right choices we are human not robots! I even have a parent that helps coach for free! And he would be the first one that would grab a mop and help me clean the mats. You know we could keep back and forth on his but I am not going to lower my self down to your level and I just hope that you give Mt. Juliet coaches support and not grief like you have us! All I can say now is better them than us!

Warm-ups, sweats, and a giant picture WOW ! I am impressed.

How about someone teaches the boys how to wrestle (technical and tactical)!

You are right, no one is perfect. As a teacher, you should know that knowledge is the key!

Perfection was not my goal, injury prevention and sound coaching practices would have been nice.

The team fought off ringworm infections all season long!

You decided that your way was the only way last year. There is no reason for a parent to lead a coach

in the wrong direction? You decided to ignore my suggestions last year. It was your choice.

Atleast a few things will finally get addressed by these threads. They could have

changed when it was brought up in the past, but that was your decision. You have no choice this year.

Complain and grief, give me a break! If WC had not hired the new coach, nothing would have changed.

It was hard to sit back and watch what was going on @ WC last year. I was not looking forward to another

year @ WC. I want a coach for my son who knows how to teach wrestling. Not one who is concerned

about warm-ups, sweats, or pictures in the "GRAND HALLWAY"!

I am happy for the WC wrestling team, they are in for a real treat!