VOLUNTEER FALCONS AT CLINTWOOD VA

VHSFALCONS

What? No one was bragging about anything, and no one asked for congratulations. I was just telling you the correct number and the way things lined up. Nothing to take a shot at. And yeah, they beat them and lost to Volunteer (who's not a 1A team), so?

All kidding aside. I have a lot of respect for all of the SWVA teams,most of the time they take a little and make a lot of what they got. They do bring out the best in your players and coaches.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that Coach Rider and his staff are working hard to turn around the Volunteer program. Scheduling Clintwood was not a good team to schedule in VA. They should have Pound, Hurley, Twin Valley, Coburn, Rye Cove and so on. Coach Rider should have talked to his dad to find out who to play and who not to play since he has coached in Southwest Virginia. I know the people in Clintwood are very proud of their Green Wave. It must have been a good game.

Win loss record aside , the only way to get better is to play good competitive teams . Coach Rider and his staff are woking hard to improve and you can see it in the effort these kids are putting out . Playing Clintwood is not going to do anything , but help this team down the line when they start the heavy part of their conference schedule . This was an exciting game , I enjoyed it . I if the Falcons can get the running game going they could surprise some people before the year is out . Keep up the hard work boys . GO FALCONS

Just for the info. 2 years ago Coach Rider picked up Clintwood and Bell Co. due to the fact that Sullivan Central and Sullivan North dropped Volunteer from their schedules. I don't know the reason for that. Both of those games are always good money games for all schools involved.(Central picked up Va High and North picked up Rye Cove,both are Va. schools). Bell Co. was quick to jump in because they needed someone to fill their schedule. After trying to get a couple of Knoxville area teams and trying to get Gate City (both of which were unsucessful due to schedule conflicts) Coach Rider was lucky to get Clintwood (who had to change their schedule a little to make it happen). I think the change from the two Sullivans to the Green Wave and Bell Co. helped us last year because the competition helped us improve as the year went on. Central and North are normally on about the same level that we are. Bell Co. has an excellent team every year and Clintwood has its tradition going way back. Hopefully it will help us again this year, only time will tell.

Go Falcons!!!!!!

Clintwood and Bell Co. were good additions. Teams like Pound, Hurley, Twin Valley, etc., have no business on Volunteer's schedule or any like them. Doing nothing to help either there, and would just be a game for the subs to get more time.

Would like to have seen Bell Co. still on our (Lee's) schedule. Most of the time it was a beat down but still nice to have, and the trip over to Log Mountain is usually nice, the atmosphere is great over there.

Newbie to the boards. However, since I am a Falcon fan I wanted to interject my two cents about this thread.

First off, congrats to the Green Wave. Nice win boys.

Secondly, I've seen and heard a lot of talk about the lacking of Volunteer's O-line for the Clintwood game. I honestly can not put blame on the boys who hold the O-line. This game was not solely lost on their parts. Several have mentioned this "great" coaching staff. They may be alright, BUT this loss was more on them than anyone. Coach Rider had all these "great" ideas, new plans and plays for the Clintwood game. All week long these "new" plays were pounded into the heads of every boy that team. However, when game day arrived and they hit the field, not one of those "new" plays was ever called by Rider or his staff. I can't blame these boys at all, I'm sure they were down right confused and nothing they could do about it. When you've practiced your rear off all week on doing things a certain way, it's kind of hard to turn it off when the time comes. Once your out on the field, one must follow the coaches orders. Now when a coach calls the bad play, who gets the blame? Well this week it seems the boys are taking the fall for the coaching staff's mistakes. Fair? Not in my opinion.

I've not seen that much blame put on any one thing on this board, but if there is a problem it is in the running game. Number 1 :We don't have that power back that you need to run the ball inside the tackles. Our backs run hard but none of them are big enough to handle 4 quarters of pounding the football and we have not been very effective running outside the tackles. Number 2 : It don't matter how big or fast your backs are, you are not going to get yardage if you get hit about the time you get the ball. That blame falls on the O-line, BOTTOM LINE! I'm sure they work on blocking schemes every day. Pass protection has been pretty darn good with the exception of the 2nd half of the Clintwood game and they were bringing the house after they figured out we couldn't run the ball.

"New plays or Old plays", it don't matter. Blocking is blocking and tackling is tackling. Who's to blame? Who knows? But I do know if we don't improve on those things it's going to be a tough year. I still think we will improve and I still think we can have a good season.

Lets get ready for Boone. We are 1-0 in the Five Rivers. Lets make it 2-0!

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!

I've not seen that much blame put on any one thing on this board, but if there is a problem it is in the running game. Number 1 :We don't have that power back that you need to run the ball inside the tackles. Our backs run hard but none of them are big enough to handle 4 quarters of pounding the football and we have not been very effective running outside the tackles. Number 2 : It don't matter how big or fast your backs are, you are not going to get yardage if you get hit about the time you get the ball. That blame falls on the O-line, BOTTOM LINE! I'm sure they work on blocking schemes every day. Pass protection has been pretty darn good with the exception of the 2nd half of the Clintwood game and they were bringing the house after they figured out we couldn't run the ball.

"New plays or Old plays", it don't matter. Blocking is blocking and tackling is tackling. Who's to blame? Who knows? But I do know if we don't improve on those things it's going to be a tough year. I still think we will improve and I still think we can have a good season.

Lets get ready for Boone. We are 1-0 in the Five Rivers. Lets make it 2-0!

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!

Good comment

I think you said it all with number 2. If that is fixed quickly Volunteer should come away with a win Friday.

Come on Volunteer! Clintwood? All the good players better just finish out the season and hope you can transfer somewhere else next year. How can Church Hill Middle School slaughter teams, then when they move up to Volunteer they can't beat anyone? And you guys that are former players should not get on here and say anything because you weren't that great either. Hawkins County Board should just axe the VHS football program and put what little they give them towards all the things they need at that school that they can't "afford" to give students.

Here's some advice for the coaches...at practice make people earn their positions, get rid of the reverse!, and work on some new plays(there are more than a few you know). Surely someone on that team can block. Run plays for the players you have on the team!

How many years has Church Hill Middle SLAUGHTERED TEAMS ? Just because teams and certain kids dominate in middle school does not translate to the same type of performance on the high school level . Some of these kids have reached their maximum growth before they get to High school and dominate in middle school but never develop much past that , while others that may not have been studs while they were in middle school sprout up and develop into top players on the high school level . I would not give up on the program at Volunteer yet . There are way more positive things going on there than negative ones IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR .