Week 3 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Week 3 doesn't have a lot of what I consider big games in my opinion. There are some that are interesting but I wouldn't consider them to be big games. So, let's get to it shall we?

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Melrose (8-4A):

This is the big game of the week in Memphis. Whitehaven goes into Orange Mound for bragging rights. I don't know for sure but I can't see tha local cable company NOT featuring this game as the game of the week. I only say that because I think they showed Melrose two weeks ago when they beat Mitchell. But it makes sense to show this game because there isn't a bigger game in the City. Don't let the 5A vs 4A classification difference fool you. It doesn't mean a hill of beans. There is already another thread about this game if you are interested in what folks think I suggest you look it up. To date Whitehaven is 3-0 with victories over Mitchell, Fairley, and White Station. If you are not from around this area and you looked at the collective records of those three opponents, it would appear that Whitehaven hasn't played any good teams. Mitchell is 0-3, White Station is 0-2, and Fairley is 1-2. Don't be fooled ... all three are potent teams. Melrose is 2-1 with victories over Mitchell and Raleigh Egypt and it's lone defeat being a 1 point loss to MUS in the Bridges K.O. Classic. They both have a common opponent in Mitchell. Whitehaven beat Mitchell 27-0 while Melrose beat them 36-14. Both teams are loaded with talent. Draw your own conclusions.

My pick: Whitehaven

Sheffield (8-3A) vs Briarcrest (D-2, IIIA):

This is the match-up of a good Sheffield team against a resurgent Briarcrest team that is playing very well under the tutaledge of the former White Station High coach, coach Major Wright. I haven't seen Sheffield play at all but they have been fielding some pretty good teams as of late. If I am not mistaken, I think the leading rusher in the city plays for Sheffield, but don't quote me on that. Briarcrest is 3-0 with victories over Carver, St. Georges, and Southwind. Sheffield is 2-1 with victories over Oakhaven and Hillcrest. Their loss was to Grenada, MS by a score of 14-8. Quite frankly ... looking at that data alone doesn't tell me too much. I'm going to go with my gut on this one.

My pick: Briarcrest

There are some other games that I think are interesting but in my humble opinion they aren't necessarily big games. I will list them as follows:

Fairely (8-4A) vs Mitchell (8-3A):

I think this is an intriguing match-up. Mitchell is still playing against larger schools toughening them up for the post season in 3A. This will be a very good game even though looking at the records of each team would lead you to think otherwise. Mitchell's players are getting more and more confidence with each passing week. I wouldn't want to see them in the post season if I were a 3A school.

My pick: Fairley

White Station (8-5A) vs East (8-4A):

White Station is 0-2 with losses to CBHS and Whitehaven. Both losses were from playing good competition because both WHS and CBHS are in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen. East is 2-1 with victories over Woodale and Fairley. Their lone loss was a 14-8 loss to last years 4A state runner up, Maplewood that was played in Nashville. Last years chaotic season at East had a lot of people wondering if East's program was headed down the tubes into the abyss. Last years record reflected the turmoil that surrounded the team. That was last year. This year they are winning like East of old. Both teams are loaded with talent. I haven't seen East play yet but it is obvious they are talented just from looking at who they played and the outcome of the games. WSHS is under a new coach. East's coaching staff took over last year. Not much history to pull from in that regard. It appeared to me when I saw WSHS play against Whitehaven last week that WSHS seemed to be lacking in numbers, but I could have been mistaken. If you haven't seen Jullian Burton from WSHS play, you are missing a treat. That young man does it all for WSHS. WR/QB/Whatever you need. Another pick from my gut.

My pick: WSHS

Millington (7-5A) vs Craigmont (7-5A):

Millington is the favorite to win this game. As a matter of fact, Millington is the favorite to win all of their region games until proven otherwise. Craigmont is 1-1 with a 12 point win over Raleigh-Egypt and a 14 point loss to CBHS. Millington on the other hand is 2-0 with a 38-0 drubbing of Munford and a 48-10 annihilation of Arlington. I think this game gives us an indication of how competative Craigmont will be this season. Currently, in region 7-5A, Millington is the bell cow. Everybody else is fighting for the 2,3, and 4 seed for the post season. It appears that Memphis Central, Memphis Overton, and Arlington are the door mats of 7-5A. That leaves Bolton, Bartlett, Cordova, Ridgeway, and Craigmont to fight it out for those other 3 post season spots.

My pick: Millington

Bolton (7-5A) vs Cordova (7-5A):

Bolton is 1-1 with a loss to Houston and a victory over Bartlett. Cordova is 2-1 with victories over Holly Springs, MS and Central. Thier loss was to ECS. This is a region game with post season implications. I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't have a clue who is going to win. Gut check tells me to pick ....

My pck: Bolton

Kirby (8-5A) vs Fayette-Ware (6-3A):

There are some who have been reading my little threads and you have wondered ... why is he keeping up with what Kirby does? Well ... I'll tell you what I told you when I created my first Big Games in Memphis thread. They are coached by Chester Flowers ... who took over the Melrose program and led them BACK to the state championship game the year immediatetly after Kenny Ingram left. I think he is an excellent coach. I think Kirby will turn into another strong 8-5A team. Kirby has the athletes. They always have had athletes. They just never had a good coach who was willing to try and change the mindset and the beliefs of the players that attend that school. Now they have one. Last year .... Kirby ended the season 1-9. ONE and NINE ......

http://tennessee.coacht.com/inside/schedul...1&sportid=1

This year they are currently 3-0. Looking at their schedule ... they could very well go into their last 5 games with a record of 5-0. Kirby's next 2 games are against Fayette-Ware and then Hamilton. I think they can win both. They will then face the meat of region 8-5A starting with White Station. Folks ... I just have a gut feeling about Kirby. They may not make the post season this year because turning around a program that was 1-9 the year before is just tremendously hard. BUT ... if they make it to 5-0 .... Man ... who knows. All I know ... I'm keeping my eyes on them.

My pick: Kirby

Well folks ... that's all for me. Fell free to add a Memphis game or just comment on the ones I mentioned. Either way, it's all good.

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Melrose (8-4A):

Should be quite an entertaining game here. I'm thinking Melrose will win it though. My main reason is the Whitehaven offense is containable. They sustained one drive vs WSHS last week, and that was after a couple of significant defensive players went out due to injuries.

Should be close, but I'm picking Melrose by a close margin, and expecting a low score.

Sheffield (8-3A) vs Briarcrest (D-2, IIIA):

I'm going with Briarcrest as well. My main reason is Major teaches fundamentaly sound football. That leads to wins.

Briarcrest

Fairely (8-4A) vs Mitchell (8-3A):

Working with gut feeling here...Fairely

White Station (8-5A) vs East (8-4A):

This one is a toss up to me. East seems to be much improved. WSHS defense is playing inspired football, and they are keeping the team in games. The offense is young and making too many mistakes. If the offense shows some growth, WSHS could get their 1st win of the season. Otherwise, East will squeak it out. I expect turnovers to tell the tale on this one.

I'll be a homie and go with WSHS

Millington (7-5A) vs Craigmont (7-5A):

The bigger question is by how much will Millington win by? 20? 30?

Millington marches on

Bolton (7-5A) vs Cordova (7-5A):

Can't argue with the logic of a gut feeling!

Bolton

Kirby (8-5A) vs Fayette-Ware (6-3A):

I think Kirby does get into the playoffs this year. They're much improved.

Kirby goes 4-0