Spurrier

what does everyone think about spurrier's debut last saturday. did he run the score up by playing first teamers in the seccond half? will he pay for it when the 49ers play them for real in the regular season? and how successful do you think he will be in the nfl?

Posted by mhs:

what does everyone think about spurrier's debut last saturday. did he run the score up by playing first teamers in the seccond half? will he pay for it when the 49ers play them for real in the regular season? and how successful do you think he will be in the nfl?

Steve Spurrier is an offensive genius! You may not like him, or his style of football... but he is one of those men who will find a way to win at whatever level he coaches! I think he simply answered wanted to prove that his system will work and he wanted to show that some of these QB's he has produced over the past few years can win under the right system! I'm a Cowboys/Titans fan, but I will be secretly watching a few of the SKINS games to see how they do! I must admit, I have "borrowed" much of his offensive philosophy and I think it can work at any level if you have a good defense (It does put pressure on defenses if the QB/Receivers aren't clicking). :o

[Edited by ELA on 8-7-02 10:24A]

Let's face it he has

1-mediocre to poor quarterbacks (possibly the worst in the division)

2-mediocre receivers (lost westbrook but has Gardner)...the worst receivers in the division (Dallas-Galloway, Ismail...Giants Toomer, Hilliard...Eagles-Thrash, Pinkston and would have had worse if the Cardinals were still around with Sanders and Boston)

3-good runningback, who in no way fits the style of offense he is wanting to run

4-decent offensive line

5-good/not great defense

6-mediocre division with the cowboys and giants rebuilding and the eagles on top.

Until the man gets a quarterback or some decent receivers or a runningback who fits his style (a tiki barber, ahman green, warrick dunn,duce staley, fred taylor type of back) its going to be completely him that will be winning games and not his players. Stephen Davis in no way is the kind of back that Spurrier needs. Many of his running plays will be out of shot gun or single back series which is not Davis' forte. Davis also does better in games where he gets around 17-20 carries a game at least. A davis, bettis, ron dayne, jamal lewis, thomas pittman, priest holmes back is very effective, but require more of a lead blocker and are north/south runners. They aren't as good at screen passes and passes to the flats, and especially DRAWS...like a Dunn, Staley, or Tiki Barber are great at...and Davis isn't going to bust a 60 yard run on you.

Now I will say that if they get into the redzone, a Stephen Davis is a good back, because he does keep the defense honest with a pure power game...but the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles all have pretty good defenses and I really think you have to have big name receivers (who are healthy) in the NFL...the defensive coordinators and especially corner backs are just too fast and too good.