LONGEST FIELD GOAL IN THE STATE

ENHWasps

In 1997 Spring Hill's Soph. Kicker Nathan Thurman attempted a 74 yard field goal against Boliver Central in the second round of the 3A play offs with 6 seconds left. I know this is a made FG thread. But I remember standing in the huddle and I asked Nathan if he was nervous. Heck I tried to calm him down. Cause the day before we were talking about the longest FG ever made. Needless to say we lost 15-13.

Why on earth would any sane Coach attempt a 74 yard field goal?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I never questioned that it was attempted. My question was WHY was it attempted?

It was a playoff game, Bill Cox was the head coach and there was a penalty on the play before (screen pass, FB was past the LOS by a yard or less). Cox had the FIELD GOAL team ready to run onto the field because he didn't have any timeouts and all he needed was a field goal. When he sent the team on the field, he didn't know about the penalty and the result of the MIDDLE SCREEN PASS would have been a first down on about the 30 yard line. I believe there was a procedural penalty on the next play and there wasn't enough time in his mind to put the offense back on the field so it was an act of desperation at that point.

It was a playoff game, Bill Cox was the head coach and there was a penalty on the play before (screen pass, FB was past the LOS by a yard or less). Cox had the FIELD GOAL team ready to run onto the field because he didn't have any timeouts and all he needed was a field goal. When he sent the team on the field, he didn't know about the penalty and the result of the MIDDLE SCREEN PASS would have been a first down on about the 30 yard line. I believe there was a procedural penalty on the next play and there wasn't enough time in his mind to put the offense back on the field so it was an act of desperation at that point.

Now I'll buy that! Thanks for clearing that up. I know no sane Coach would send a kicker at ANY level on the field with the game on the line to kick a 74 yard field goal to win it.

Thanks Coach for backing me up on that. Cas11 sorry I didnt go into much detail.