Where are your former athletes playing in college?

inglewood

I'm trusting my memory here but MBA has:

Jim Beckner SMU

E.J. Vinsing Furman

Nathan Wade Furman

Allen Riley Sewanee

Rascoe Dean Sewanee

Jas Rader Sewanee

Alphansa Knight Sewanee

David Howe Tennessee

I think BA has:

Bill Kottas Samford

Beckner is not on the SMU roster anymore. He was on the list last year.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was injured and is now out for the season. I'm still surprised he is not listed on the roster however.

Totally stoked about the guy from Ensworth playing for UCLA. What is the history on him? I made the list 3 games into the season and he wasn't on the roster, now he is.. Walk-on?

He was injured and is now out for the season. I'm still surprised he is not listed on the roster however.

He was on the pre-season roster, but when I did the three game check-up he was not.

West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy all have prep schools. They are for potential Cadets/Midshipmen who aren't quite academically qualified out of high school to receive direct appointment to the Academy itself to get the extra academic help they will need once the get to the respective academy. Since Cadets (both West Point and the Air Force Academy students are called cadets) and Midshipmen have to complete their degree work in 4 years they don't redshirt players, except in very unusual circumstances. That year at the prep school for athletes in essence serves as a redshirt year and allows the prepsters to work on academics and spend a year in the strength and conditioning program and get adjusted to the rigid military schedule and life.

The difference is that since it is a prep school is considered an extension of high school, it is not the start of college. If a prepster decides that the military academy option isn't for them or the academics are more than they can handle he has the option of going elsewhere without having used a year of college eligibility or having to sit out a "transfer" year. His college clock doesn't start with the prep school and he's not tied to the academy that sponsors the prep school. Generally there are a few in that situation every year.

Although my son was a direct appointee to West Point out of high school, a couple of his buddies went the prep school route. It's a good option for those who are on the borderline academically of being appointed to one of the academies. Being on the "borderline", by the way, still means that the candidate is a very good student in high school. It generally takes a 3.75 to 4.0 GPA and a 28-33 ACT to be academically qualified for direct admission, so the preps schoolers are generally 3.5-3.75 GPA types with mid 20s ACTs.

Thanks for the information. It has enlightened me to something I had very little to no knowledge of.

More interesting facts- The cities with the most D-I football players: Memphis (68), Nashville (33), Knoxville (22), Murfreesboro (12), and Brentwood (12).

Broke down into the 3 parts of the state: West (121 players), Middle (100 players), and East (61 players).

Schools with the most players playing D-I: Briarcrest Christian (10), Brentwood Academy (9), Christian Brothers (8), and Riverdale, Farragut, Whitehaven, White Station, and Germantown all have 7.

Schools that have never had a Tennessean on the roster in the 10 years I have made this list:

ACC-Boston College, Maryland; Big 12- Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M; Big East- UCONN, PIttsburgh, Rutgers, South Florida; Big 10- Iowa, Minnesota; C-USA- Houston, Rice, Tulane, UTEP; MAC- Akron, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Temple, Western Michigan; Mountain West- BYU, San Diego St., Utah, Wyoming; Pac-10- Arizona St., Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.; SEC- All schools have had at least 1 Tennessean on their roster; Sun Belt- Fla Atl, LA-Lafayette, North Texas; WAC- Boise St., Fresno St., Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico St., San Jose St., Utah St.

Totally stoked about the guy from Ensworth playing for UCLA. What is the history on him? I made the list 3 games into the season and he wasn't on the roster, now he is.. Walk-on?

KP McDermott went to Ensworth beginning in Pre first, and played on the "Fearsome Fourteen" team when he was in 7th grade. In 8th grade, Coach Bowers asked for a volunteer to be the long snapper saying something to the effect of, "Boys, I know it sounds silly, but you can get a college scholarship for long snapping one day." KP raised his hand and was Ensworth's long snapper for all 4 years of high school. He also played OT, DE, and TE for the Tigers, and was a member of the first ever Senior class. He was a top 5 LS in this recruiting class (Im not really sure how they determine this, but I think he was the most accurate at the most prestigious camp, and was top 5 in snapping speed), and had the chance to choose between Notre Dame and UCLA (UCLA was willing to guarantee admittance, he was unsure whether he would get into Notre Dame). As a result, he is now the backup long snapper and probably 4th or 5th TE on UCLA's roster. He is not on scholarship yet but he will be soon. He is redshirting this season because their current LS is a Junior (I think), and should be starting in a year or two. I'm not sure how much TE he will play in his career, but he definitely has the blocking skills and the build to be a good one. He is also a really great guy, and was also a standout on EHS' basketball team.

KP McDermott went to Ensworth beginning in Pre first, and played on the "Fearsome Fourteen" team when he was in 7th grade. In 8th grade, Coach Bowers asked for a volunteer to be the long snapper saying something to the effect of, "Boys, I know it sounds silly, but you can get a college scholarship for long snapping one day." KP raised his hand and was Ensworth's long snapper for all 4 years of high school. He also played OT, DE, and TE for the Tigers, and was a member of the first ever Senior class. He was a top 5 LS in this recruiting class (Im not really sure how they determine this, but I think he was the most accurate at the most prestigious camp, and was top 5 in snapping speed), and had the chance to choose between Notre Dame and UCLA (UCLA was willing to guarantee admittance, he was unsure whether he would get into Notre Dame). As a result, he is now the backup long snapper and probably 4th or 5th TE on UCLA's roster. He is not on scholarship yet but he will be soon. He is redshirting this season because their current LS is a Junior (I think), and should be starting in a year or two. I'm not sure how much TE he will play in his career, but he definitely has the blocking skills and the build to be a good one. He is also a really great guy, and was also a standout on EHS' basketball team.

That is awesome news. Thanks for the great info!!!