Team accomplishmnets vs Individual accolades

OLD PIRATE

That's going on at the University of Tennessee right now. I am told that Jonathan Crompton and his parents are steamed because he lost the starting QB job, even to the point of his family walking out of the stadium when Stephens was announced in the lineup.

I would be interested in hearing from the kids, individually. "Would you rather get Mr. Football or win a state championship?" I think I know how 99% would answer.

Old Pirate would bet that 99.99% of players would rather win the title. However the parents are the real problem. It's becomes more about their little youngon than team success.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, team accomplishment over individual accolades EVERY season. I have seen many high school football teams in my years and that includes many with one or two outstanding players. But, I've yet personally seen one of those teams take the big prize at the end.

Odd as it may seem, last season's class A championship game was a pretty good example. McKenzie didn't have any superstars on the roster but, we beat some teams with one or two top of the line players to get to the 'Boro. I didn't notice any one player that really stood out for South Pittsburg either. Heck, they all stood out!!! Old Pirate, it is kinda hard to look at South Pittsburg and think "a team of average players" for me and many others. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Thats not to say that ya'll aren't about team because ya'll are definitely about team!!

It's impressive how ya'll seem to be in the hunt every season and have been since back in the '70's that I know of. And that is "team".

SP has a long history of highly accomplished team goals that have continued for years. SP is like all communities, talent deminishes then it'll return. Thanks for your kind words. There are many Old Pirates that are directly responsible for showing and teaching the kids work ethic, togetherness and meeting team goals.

SP has a long history of highly accomplished team goals that have continued for years. SP is like all communities, talent deminishes then it'll return. Thanks for your kind words. There are many Old Pirates that are directly responsible for showing and teaching the kids work ethic, togetherness and meeting team goals.

Wow.SP is a perfect example of selflessness.Several of some the best ever to suit up at SP have sacrificed their stats for championships.And these young men have still been able to be recruited and offered from D-1 schools.So no doubt let us give the current players at SP a hand for giving up the stats this yr. for that ultimate common goal, the gold ball! These are different Pirates.And we should all be proud of these young men as they leave and represent the school ,the county and the state.

Wow.SP is a perfect example of selflessness.Several of some the best ever to suit up at SP have sacrificed their stats for championships.And these young men have still been able to be recruited and offered from D-1 schools.So no doubt let us give the current players at SP a hand for giving up the stats this yr. for that ultimate common goal, the gold ball! These are different Pirates.And we should all be proud of these young men as they leave and represent the school ,the county and the state.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm getting all teary eyed with OP waxing philosophically.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

What.......... Old Pirate just hurt his brain trying to figure this post out. Come to the conclusion rlh must have been hit with a dish towel or skillet prior to posting. Hurts don't it? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have to agree with you on that one.  It seems like the SP team this year spreads the wealth so to speak.  I agree with you, let's go after another gold ball.  It will be tough, but it would be awesome to repeat.

Old Pirate says SP's success is directly the result of so many weapons and not just 1 RB that everyone keys on. It is far...........................more important to show up against tough competion than some up and coming want-a-be program. Padding stats against weak teams don't prove anything. Big games against tough competion if how recruiters will evaluate players.

• 2 weeks later...

That's going on at the University of Tennessee right now. I am told that Jonathan Crompton and his parents are steamed because he lost the starting QB job, even to the point of his family walking out of the stadium when Stephens was announced in the lineup.

I would be interested in hearing from the kids, individually. "Would you rather get Mr. Football or win a state championship?" I think I know how 99% would answer.

Old Pirate says them Tenn folks do have their work cut out for themselves replacing a legend. Yep, he'll go down as a legend, hard to argue with his success record. OP's Auburn Tigers will be looking before long and that will be a lot easier replacement.

OP says it's the time of the year when the real good players can showcase themselves. However team awards comes first, but beware they'll be a whole lot of bickering if a favored team loses.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Pirate would bet that 99.99% of players would rather win the title. However the parents are the real problem. It's becomes more about their little youngon than team success.

Grandparents can be thrown in there also.Unrealsitic goals set.Lil grand Johnny has to take a real tumble when he's not playing daddy ball and has to face up to his shortcommings.Bitter pill to swallow i'd say.