FRA vs. Giles County

PulaskiVol

Gotta say, that Coach McDonald has a pretty nice resume. 4 championships with the girls, and when we have played against them with the boys, they seem to be very well coached. Don't know if that is what flatline was referring to though.

Hey Big G.. understand, your point taken. I know this coaches background, aprx 20 years or so, about the 2 coach of the year SEC, the 5 NCAA shows in his previous 10 year tenure.. but I wanted to see flatlines' response. Wasn't suggesting at all they weren't well coached and the team isn't successful. Flatline was making a coaching comparison as if coaching would be a significant edge. I think in this particular case that there are more issues of greater bearing on the outcome of this upcoming match and not disagreeing with the probable outcome regarding the W in the FRA column. I wanted to see if Flatline had any particulars about the coaching style that supported what he seemed to be saying. I happen to believe in the young coach at GC as I've pointed out her successes in another Coach-T string. Soccer is a free-flowing game where players do make their own decisions and while there maybe many factors that contribute to a programs success, a coach can train what he/she has to work with on a skill and experience level, but the player executes. I think the GC coach is a tactical qualified practitioner of the game, understands and can relate to female high school athletes and will make a difference in their program

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Big G.. understand, your point taken. I know this coaches background, aprx 20 years or so, about the 2 coach of the year SEC, the 5 NCAA shows in his previous 10 year tenure.. but I wanted to see flatlines' response. Wasn't suggesting at all they weren't well coached and the team isn't successful. Flatline was making a coaching comparison as if coaching would be a significant edge. I think in this particular case that there are more issues of greater bearing on the outcome of this upcoming match and not disagreeing with the probable outcome regarding the W in the FRA column. I wanted to see if Flatline had any particulars about the coaching style that supported what he seemed to be saying. I happen to believe in the young coach at GC as I've pointed out her successes in another Coach-T string. Soccer is a free-flowing game where players do make their own decisions and while there maybe many factors that contribute to a programs success, a coach can train what he/she has to work with on a skill and experience level, but the player executes. I think the GC coach is a tactical qualified practitioner of the game, understands and can relate to female high school athletes and will make a difference in their program

Gotcha. I just didn't know if you were aware of Coach Mac's history. Hopefully Flatline will respond, as well.

I agree with you on the coaching vs. talent aspect. I am the same coach as I was last year in middle school, and we were 13-1 last season and 1-11 this season. Sometimes there is a lot more to how good a coach is than just win loss records (at least I sure HOPE so for my sake!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

I'm not saying that the coaching would have made the difference, but it's certainly an advantage that FRA has. Like BigG said, Coach McDonald has 5 straight NCAA tournament appearances and 2 time SEC coach of the year in his 10 years at Vandy. Plus, he was the TACA coach of the year twice as well. I don't know much about the coaching at GC, but I find it hard to believe that there are many if any coaches in the state that have as much experience and as many accolades as McDonald does.

BTW, FRA wins 3-1

Congratulations to FRA for the win and to the GC program for a great season. I bet FRA enjoyed playing a match on a pitch of the quality of the Martin Methodist field.

Pulaskivol, u called the score.. any details?

It was just a really tough match up for Giles County. 1st half ended 0-0. GC played decent along the back 4 but was under constant attact in a large part because of #11 for FRA. Coach Claire decided to move Aymett out from the back to try and get some movement forward and to try and slow down the FRA midfield, but GC was just overmatched. FRA scored on a corner, direct and penalty kick in about a 10 minute span in the 2nd half while GC scored on a own goal from a corner. Not sure why, but the 2nd FRA goal came and the girl that directed the ball in was standing on the goal line, not sure how she was not offsides?

Not sure it would have mattered, but GC was slowed down considereably to the foot injury to Heather Holley. Heather wins 50/50 balls up top and is the fastest player on the team. Not having her able to play 100% really hurt. It was tough for GC to lose one of their top players and still compete with FRA. At least now when they get off their big bus they know we have a soccer team down here in the stix.

As for GC, they had a great year, considering they started tryouts this season without a coach. Coach Sykes has done a really nice job, and hopefully GC will get her hired on full time and let her start to build a program. I think she has the right attitude to make it work in a public school, but I also have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be interested in her.