district 11

waverlytigers06

Should be a good conference for football with a lot of good natural rivals playing each other. Harpeth football is slowly getting back to where it needs to be and I think will be even better next year. Don't know enough about the other schools to really make great predictions, but will give my two cents:

1. Creek Wood - size of student body alone gives it a big advantage. They are used to playing bigger and better schools so dropping down to lesser competition should make it easier for them.

2. Camden - they always won their previous region so must be doing something right, although they don't seem to do to well in the playoffs each year. Are they as good as their record or is it opponents aren't very good.

3. Harpeth - have good nucleus returning and QB/WR combination is very good

4. Waverly - had some really good skill position players who I think will be back

5. Cheatham County - will benefit from dropping down in competition

6. Stewart County - good records last two years, but only b/c of beating teams with losing records. Not convinced they are that good.

7. Montgomery Central - really a poor excuse for an athletic program. No knock on the coaches, but more on the school. Baseball and softball have been ok, but football and boys/girls basketball have been terrible past 5 years.

Overall, I think the region is pretty weak, but I do think it will be competitive and any of the top 5 could suprise each other.

how is cheatham going to benefit from this district and yet finish #5? they finished #5 this past year in a region with lipscomb, giles, marshall, and page. 2005, 2006, and 2007 they finished in the playoffs in that same region. from 2002, 2003, and 2004 they went to the playoffs in regions that included sycamore, greenbrier, lewis county, and fairview. sorry to let you know but cheatham is not as bad at football as many of you think. aside from camden they have a much better record over the last seven years than any other team in this district. i just hope they are able to gather themselves to play waverly after the tigers have beaten them so badly the last two years in the preseason. at least they play them in week 9 instead of week 0!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really couldn't tell you anything about Cheatham except that everyone agrees they are well coached but..........don't they lose 14 seniors and isn't their next largest class their sophomore class? There's got to be some dropoff losing that kind of leadership and being that young. They have been playing some good teams in the old 3A district they were in, but didn't they also lose to those good teams? What were the scores of those Lipscomb, Greenbriar and Giles County games the past 3 years? They will be able to compete in the new district and their enrollment dropped them down a class, but I'm not willing to concede the district to them. It'll be competitive. Cheatham has beaten Creekwood and Montgomery Central the last 3 years in a row.

If Fairview/Camden and Waverly/Harpeth/Stewart Co. were my only barometers for the 3A schools in 11AA, then I say it's up for grabs next year. What did each team lose and what do they have coming back? Creekwood can beat everybody below them and it doesn't matter exept for 3A seeding. They've got 1,000 students and will be the only 4A playoff team in the district. That leaves 2 guaranteed spots and maybe a wildcard team for 3A. The 3A games are going to be fun to watch.

I really couldn't tell you anything about Cheatham except that everyone agrees they are well coached but..........don't they lose 14 seniors and isn't their next largest class their sophomore class? There's got to be some dropoff losing that kind of leadership and being that young. They have been playing some good teams in the old 3A district they were in, but didn't they also lose to those good teams? What were the scores of those Lipscomb, Greenbriar and Giles County games the past 3 years? They will be able to compete in the new district and their enrollment dropped them down a class, but I'm not willing to concede the district to them. It'll be competitive. Cheatham has beaten Creekwood and Montgomery Central the last 3 years in a row.

If Fairview/Camden and Waverly/Harpeth/Stewart Co. were my only barometers for the 3A schools in 11AA, then I say it's up for grabs next year. What did each team lose and what do they have coming back? Creekwood can beat everybody below them and it doesn't matter exept for 3A seeding. They've got 1,000 students and will be the only 4A playoff team in the district. That leaves 2 guaranteed spots and maybe a wildcard team for 3A. The 3A games are going to be fun to watch.

cheatham went 2-2 the last 4 years against marshall and that really should have been 3-1 as they dominated the game against the tigers this past season. silly errors by some of those seniors you refer to are what cost them dearly in the end. cheatham went 3-1 against creek wood and page over the last 4 years also. they have won their last 6 games against montgomery central. the senior class was not 14 large either. they lose brian mayo, cody anderson, justin batts, zack bush, devin bryant, joe rinehart, garrett potts, and zach wilson. ryan phillips played in spare action this year. the other senior players that you may have read about on the preseason roster all quit throughout this past season. i am not saying that cheatham is going to win the district either. i am saying that cheatham is not going to finish #5, #6, or #7 in the district. that is an insult in my humble opinion! the game at harpeth in week 7 is going to be a lot of fun ksgovols. it is a rivalry that deserves to be played from both sides. i hate to see harpeth and sycamore are not playing each other in football the next 2 years.

Yep, I was afraid the in county rivalry games would be sacrificed with the new districts that have been drawn up the last 2 times. I did not know that Harpeth wasn't playing Sycamore, but it doesn't surprise me. Have you seen a schedule yet? I have not obviously. I wonder who Harpeth is going to pick up for their non district games? I assume Fairview and East Hickman since they are short drives and maybe East Robertson and FRA since they have been on the schedule for the last 4 or 5 years.

I am glad to see the Harpeth/Cheatham rivalry renewed though. Yeah, I was reading Cheatham's preseason roster that had 14 seniors on it and like 5 juniors. I assumed they were losing a lot of players.

The coach at Camden has been impressive the last few years. I can't call his name but I think he was an assistant at Martin Westview the year they lost to Goodpasture in the title game.

Kevin Ward is his name and yes he was an assistant at Milan and Westview before coming to Camden as head coach and completely turning that program around. We agree...he is impressive /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well I do know year before last when Waverly had it's 0-10 year, Waverly beat Cheatham County by 21 points in a scrimmage because I was there. Last year I wasn't there but was told that Waverly beat them. Either way at worst was a split and it's not going to be a cakewalk for CC.

Dude, you are clueless about the Waverly/Cheatham scrimmages. Year before last Cheatham put in subs just so Waverly could have a chance to run a play. You might should ask some Waverly players or coaches before running your mouth.

Kevin Ward is his name and yes he was an assistant at Milan and Westview before coming to Camden as head coach and completely turning that program around. We agree...he is impressive /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That's good. I hope ya'll get to keep him. I keep hearing rumors that other schools are trying to lure him away. I also hear that the community is sure high on him. I know the difference a good coach can make. I'm happy for ya'll, Camden is a great town and ya'll deserve him.

Yep, I was afraid the in county rivalry games would be sacrificed with the new districts that have been drawn up the last 2 times. I did not know that Harpeth wasn't playing Sycamore, but it doesn't surprise me. Have you seen a schedule yet? I have not obviously. I wonder who Harpeth is going to pick up for their non district games? I assume Fairview and East Hickman since they are short drives and maybe East Robertson and FRA since they have been on the schedule for the last 4 or 5 years.

I am glad to see the Harpeth/Cheatham rivalry renewed though. Yeah, I was reading Cheatham's preseason roster that had 14 seniors on it and like 5 juniors. I assumed they were losing a lot of players.

KS, you will be happy to know that the Harpeth-Fview will continue to grow their rivalry over the next two years. they'll battle during Week 5 next season (pretty sure its at Fview).

That's good. I hope ya'll get to keep him. I keep hearing rumors that other schools are trying to lure him away. I also hear that the community is sure high on him. I know the difference a good coach can make. I'm happy for ya'll, Camden is a great town and ya'll deserve him.

Every year the rumors start about this time and every year we are just glad we get to keep him for one more season. He has certainly made a complete 180 of the football culture in Benton Co. From the players to the community, Coach Ward garners alot of respect round these parts.