Tyner on the chopping block

Indian

It's surprising but Tyner High School seems to be one of the schools considered for closing by the Hamilton County school board. 21st Century was the only other with high school students listed in a front page article this morning. It seems like more frequent rezoning, maybe even every year as population shift/grows in some areas, could help prevent a Tyner from becoming underused. You have Ooltewah which grew to 2,000 students, instead of shifting some back to Central, Tyner and Brainerd they build East Hamilton High School for $40 million+. Hixson is at around 775 now after being over 1000 for years and from what I read Soddy-Daisy remains overcrowded. I imagine if Tyner closes Brainerd, Central and Ooltewah would get their students and as it pertains to athletics, their football players who would have eventually been there.

It's surprising but Tyner High School seems to be one of the schools considered for closing by the Hamilton County school board. 21st Century was the only other with high school students listed in a front page article this morning. It seems like more frequent rezoning, maybe even every year as population shift/grows in some areas, could help prevent a Tyner from becoming underused. You have Ooltewah which grew to 2,000 students, instead of shifting some back to Central, Tyner and Brainerd they build East Hamilton High School for $40 million+. Hixson is at around 775 now after being over 1000 for years and from what I read Soddy-Daisy remains overcrowded. I imagine if Tyner closes Brainerd, Central and Ooltewah would get their students and as it pertains to athletics, their football players who would have eventually been there.

When would this come about...next school year?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/no...gh-lesson/?news

It doesn't really mention any projections on dates. None of this has passed yet. I don't know the particulars on the elementary schools and middle schools of course since they don't have the TSSAA classifying them but it seems crazy they can't do a better job on their high school numbers.

• 1 month later...

Hamilton County need a new superintendent and staff so they could learn how to budget better. This has been brewing for years because they do not know how to use their funds. Personally, I do not see any high schools closing, maybe elementary schools but that's it.