Harpeth Hall

gooddog

Harpeth Hall athletics have started to slide the last few years due to Ensworth (keeping some very good athletes) and the school not placing the same amount of emphasis on athletics as they did in past years. Forget about basketball just look at where HH is now in golf, tennis, track/field, and cross country compared to a few years ago. It was only a few short years ago that something was wrong if HH did not win the state in track & cross country. My friends with grandchildren attending the school claim that dance along with the fine art's program have taken over where academics & athletics once ruled the school.

I can't say what their emphasis is internally, but they have been good the last few years. They, like all schools have been affected by graduation, players focusing on another sport, etc. They graduated on of the deadliest 3 pt shooters and some role players. They still have one of the best all around guards in Downs and have 2 very capable posts in Mobely and Follansby. Also with the exception of an experienced Ensworth, DII middle is all down so everyone can beat everyone so HH will be in the mix and Ensworth is beatable but the favorite. Health and the dependence on younger kids will tell the story in DII this year. To boot, HH has an excellent coach.

Harpeth Hall athletics have started to slide the last few years due to Ensworth (keeping some very good athletes) and the school not placing the same amount of emphasis on athletics as they did in past years. Forget about basketball just look at where HH is now in golf, tennis, track/field, and cross country compared to a few years ago. It was only a few short years ago that something was wrong if HH did not win the state in track & cross country. My friends with grandchildren attending the school claim that dance along with the fine art's program have taken over where academics & athletics once ruled the school.

So are you saying that academics have taken a downslide at Harpeth Hall. I find it strange you linked academics to sports. I don't believe for a second that academics have taken a downward slide due to fine arts or dance. Once again your posts show a tunnelistic approach to a school always with athletics the end all. Ruled the school, what exactly does that mean? Harpeth is doing just fine unless winning it all every single year is your determining factor for a successful school. Thank God, for most people, it is not. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

PS Hey Ashjan, how bout a prediction on the Ryan-JPII girls game. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

They do have an excellent coach. Who is this deadly shooter you are referring to, and whatever happened to their assistant coach. Cant remember her name , something like molly davidson darrellson donaldson something like that. thanks.

Binkley, I believe. Graduated.

So are you saying that academics have taken a downslide at Harpeth Hall. I find it strange you linked academics to sports. I don't believe for a second that academics have taken a downward slide due to fine arts or dance. Once again your posts show a tunnelistic approach to a school always with athletics the end all. Ruled the school, what exactly does that mean? Harpeth is doing just fine unless winning it all every single year is your determining factor for a successful school. Thank God, for most people, it is not. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

PS Hey Ashjan, how bout a prediction on the Ryan-JPII girls game. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Binkley, I believe. Graduated.

I never said that anything about "ruled the school" and really don't have a clue where you received than information. While I did not include academics in the statement about the fine arts program and the dance program I do feel quite confident that everyone knows that academics have not taken a backseat to any additional programs at the school.

FYI, it's ok to have great academics and athletics in a high school! For some reason you seem to feel that it's not possible to have a school where academic & athletic programs are both the best in the state. If you are going to turn on the scoreboard for any sporting event the only goal that a team should have is a victory. Both athletics and academics have a place in a high school but few people have the talent to blend the two of them so that the student/athletes receive the best of both worlds. When done properly athletics are able to teach high school students that if you work hard enough and set your goals high enough you MAY have the opportunity to win a championship. What I don't understand is why any team would not start the season with the goal of winning a state or national championship? In both acadmics & athletics most people set their goals much too low because they are afraid of failure or the sacrifices need to be ultra successful are too painful.

I never said that anything about "ruled the school" and really don't have a clue where you received than information. While I did not include academics in the statement about the fine arts program and the dance program I do feel quite confident that everyone knows that academics have not taken a backseat to any additional programs at the school.

FYI, it's ok to have great academics and athletics in a high school! For some reason you seem to feel that it's not possible to have a school where academic & athletic programs are both the best in the state. If you are going to turn on the scoreboard for any sporting event the only goal that a team should have is a victory. Both athletics and academics have a place in a high school but few people have the talent to blend the two of them so that the student/athletes receive the best of both worlds. When done properly athletics are able to teach high school students that if you work hard enough and set your goals high enough you MAY have the opportunity to win a championship. What I don't understand is why any team would not start the season with the goal of winning a state or national championship? In both acadmics & athletics most people set their goals much too low because they are afraid of failure or the sacrifices need to be ultra successful are too painful.

You must be having difficulty reading your own post. The last sentence makes a direct referral to athletics and academics as ruling Harpeth Hall school in the past. As to your statement about athletic goals, I just plain disagree. You don't have to set your goals in the clouds in athletics to have a successful program. Your opinion of what should be done in athletics is not shared by all, probably not the majority. You can run a successful school in every way whether you are the best in any one category or not. You do not have to set ultra goals as you put it and you are not afraid or fearful if you do not. Some people see athletics in a different light. They compete hard, enjoy their success, and are not too disappointed when things don't go their way. The goal of athletics should be to have fun, play hard and learn to be a good winner and good loser, much like life. Your goals of athletics as you stated they should be usually leads to bitter dissappointment. As I stated earlier, Harpeth Hall is doing fine. But Harpeth Hall or any other school is not going to satisfy everyone, especially those with Ultra Goals. PS When you turn on a scoreboard, there are many goals that a properly coached team should be trying to attain, represent your school well, do your best, be a good sport, take your losses graciously and your wins with humility. If the only goal in sports was to win, the children would be missing much of what sports can teach them. I love to win, but probably learned much more by the losses I took. I guess you could say that my goals were not as high as they should have been, but you would have had one very difficult time proving it on the floor if we had played against each other. Your statement about people setting their goals much too low due to fear of failure is pretty brash on your part. It seems you are saying that most people in the world are cowards. Nuff said, I now understand your basic philosophy that influences your posts involving sports, not really about sports at all. Too bad. PSS I think it is very possible to have great academics and athletics under the same roof, just not very often. But the main difference is that my view of athletics is much broader than yours and I can see success where you only see failure. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

You must be having difficulty reading your own post. The last sentence makes a direct referral to athletics and academics as ruling Harpeth Hall school in the past. As to your statement about athletic goals, I just plain disagree. You don't have to set your goals in the clouds in athletics to have a successful program. Your opinion of what should be done in athletics is not shared by all, probably not the majority. You can run a successful school in every way whether you are the best in any one category or not. You do not have to set ultra goals as you put it and you are not afraid or fearful if you do not. Some people see athletics in a different light. They compete hard, enjoy their success, and are not too disappointed when things don't go their way. The goal of athletics should be to have fun, play hard and learn to be a good winner and good loser, much like life. Your goals of athletics as you stated they should be usually leads to bitter dissappointment. As I stated earlier, Harpeth Hall is doing fine. But Harpeth Hall or any other school is not going to satisfy everyone, especially those with Ultra Goals. PS When you turn on a scoreboard, there are many goals that a properly coached team should be trying to attain, represent your school well, do your best, be a good sport, take your losses graciously and your wins with humility. If the only goal in sports was to win, the children would be missing much of what sports can teach them. I love to win, but probably learned much more by the losses I took. I guess you could say that my goals were not as high as they should have been, but you would have had one very difficult time proving it on the floor if we had played against each other. Your statement about people setting their goals much too low due to fear of failure is pretty brash on your part. It seems you are saying that most people in the world are cowards. Nuff said, I now understand your basic philosophy that influences your posts involving sports, not really about sports at all. Too bad. PSS I think it is very possible to have great academics and athletics under the same roof, just not very often. But the main difference is that my view of athletics is much broader than yours and I can see success where you only see failure. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I stand corrected, I did use the term "ruled the school" At the young age of 76 both my memory and "old eyes" are starting to fail me down here in the warm Florida sunshine. We seem to have different opinions about athletics but that is what makes up this old world. The only thing that I ever learned from a loss was that I hated it and that I need to work harder to keep it from ever happening again if possible.