Larry Finch Classic

BBallExtreme

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly 8 years ago, University of Memphis Star and Coach had a stroke. To offset his medical expenses, his supporters created the Friends of Larry Finch Folundation. While i don't know, i think this Classic has something to do with his name and Foundation. The classic is at Liberty Tech High School Dec. 22nd and 23rd and includes teams from Ridgeway, Siegel, Manassas and one other school. i am asking anyone who has the schedule and information to post it as soon as you can.

The classic is actually being held for the most part at the field house, University of Memphis. Liberty Tech is playing in it but it will not be played at Liberty, Jackson, TN. Some of the teams that I know of are, Millington, Lausanne, White Station, Melrose, Manassas, Liberty Tech, Carver, Memphis Overton and I think a few others. I don't have the schedule yet though. We play Lausanne on the last day which is the 23rd at 6:00.

CG, I really appreciate your clarification of this Classuc. Tomy knowledge this is the first time this has been brought up and would like to apologize to those who started this Classic if it was an oversight. As he keeps up with and helps communicate events, coachG certainly helped clarify this Tournament.

White Station plays Lausanne on Saturday. I believe in the morning, but don't know what time, yet.

Those 2 teams do play on Saturday but that is not part of the Larry Finch Classic which plays next Monday and Tuesday. I don't have a complete schedule but I do know Lausanne plays Overton on Monday at 4 and Millington Tuesday at 6. All games are at Elma Roane Fieldhouse at U of M

As I think many of you appreciate, it would be good to get the structure of this tournament taken care of this year and the sponsers known so that next year it can not be overlooked. Looking at the schools that may be involved and I'm not sure I have ever seen the right list, it is a good event at the University of Memphis Fieldhouse. It is named right , the cause may be right, its at the right location and A Sponser needs to get on this site and bring it to the front. Name the teams. i personally think that is the problem, that all of the teams have not committed. If not post it on here.

CG, I really appreciate your clarification of this Classuc. Tomy knowledge this is the first time this has been brought up and would like to apologize to those who started this Classic if it was an oversight. As he keeps up with and helps communicate events, coachG certainly helped clarify this Tournament.

Thanks for the accurate info once again. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

With the teams that are playing I believe the structure is a classic format and not actually a tournament. A classic has predetermined games all the way through. There is no champion. Teams are simply getting together at a central location and playing.

A tournament format would mean 1st round games would determine who plays whom on the second day. According to TSSAA rules you can only play in 2 tournaments and each one counts as 2 games no matter how many you play.

In classic play each game counts as one game....