Coach predicts score of Trojans vs DC .

DCfan74

Posted by figbar:

I can not believe the coach of the Trojans did this. Would like to here some comments on this. I dont believe he said it. If he did, he should not have done it.

Many fans would have no idea who you were talking about- Dyersburg vs Dyer County on August 30.

Posted by jw02:

coach counce did not predict the score of the game.. a man ask him what the score was going to be and he said JOKINGLY

28 TO 0.the newspaper man quoted coach counce w/o even getting permission..that is where all this is comingsmilieLink(' :D ')

Well, jokingly or not he should not have done that. Where was he at and to whom did he say it to? You just dont give the opposition something to get up on. I bet that quote is in every locker of the football team at Dyer County. The game itself is enough to get up on, this just puts fuel to the fire.

Posted by jw02:

coach counce did not predict the score of the game.. a man ask him what the score was going to be and he said JOKINGLY

28 TO 0.the newspaper man quoted coach counce w/o even getting permission..that is where all this is coming from

Hmmm, if you tell a "newspaper" man something and don't want it printed, then you need to have your head examined. Newspaper people, at least the good ones, usually don't print things that would cause problems on the high school level, but they sure don't have to ask permission.

Hmmm, if you tell a "newspaper" man something and don't want it printed, then you need to have your head examined. Newspaper people, at least the good ones, usually don't print things that would cause problems on the high school level, but they sure don't have to ask permission.

Good point. I don't know the parties involved in this, but when I was just a rookie, I learned from the SportsEd I worked for this simple lesson: If a kid says something stupid, like predicting a score or declaring what they're going to kick come Friday, let it go, because kids are fired up and want to show it. But if a coach says something stupid, print it. Because coaches should be calm and focused, and should know better.

Posted by TankTalk:
Posted by jw02:

28 TO 0.the newspaper man quoted coach counce w/o even getting permission..that is where all this is coming from

Hmmm, if you tell a "newspaper" man something and don't want it printed, then you need to have your head examined. Newspaper people, at least the good ones, usually don't print things that would cause problems on the high school level, but they sure don't have to ask permission.< /Quote> If he didnt predict the score of the game then what does 28-0 mean. Sounds and looks like a prediction to me. I thought he had more class than this, im very disappointed in him. This will never be forgotten. This will be talked about for many years to come.

[Edited by figbar on 8-26-02 6:59P]

these are the facts as they were reported to me....however keep in mind that i was not there, this information is from a person who was though....

this was a rotary club meeting and they feature the coaches as guest on a meeting day....

several in attendance kept pressing the coach for a comment on the game......and he asked "what do you want, a score?", and he said well i hope that we win 28 to 0....

the news reporter was not there.....he is a "new" reporter from upnorth...you know, one of them transplants....

one thing led to another and before you know it, it went from i hope, to i guarantee a 28 point victory in the sunday sports section......

the reporter did not confirm the story with the coach....

if you check the coaching statistics for all coaches in tennessee, you will see that this coach is one of top coaches in this state who has been coaching for a while......his record speaks for itself.... and he is well respected....his previous under studies are now head coaches at milan, martin westview, and other schools out of state... and many have won state championships....

just a warning here, if you can remember the legandary coach john tucker at milan, well this coach is a lot like him.....

he won't loose sleep if some dip sticks on coacht loose respect because of some comment he made.....he sure has not lost respect of this community or the fans of dyersburg trojans....

Well, a person of respect would not have done what coach Counce did. He would have got more respect if he had not blurted out a score. If he had said, I hope we win, that would show more respect for the other team. Thats what he should have said. Blurting out a score like that shows alot of gaw. Im not saying hes not a good coach, he just should have shown more respect for the other team or even their coaches. Sounds like he didnt want to say anything, but got caught up in the moment. I know hes a coach of few words, and thinking back on what he said, he wishes he didnt say it. It just may come back to haunt him.

Guest dc3641

the people of dyersburg better hope for a clear night friday, because this DC will sure strike and strike often. i'm not a coach but just a fan, so here is my score

DYER CO 24

dyersburg 13

there better not be any homecoming shirts printed this year about "luck only happens once" pretty bad sporstmanship. but this is a new year and totally differnt teams so expect a sloppy game.

;):D:D:D:):):):)