Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

Interesting result. It is hard to tell if it means Unaka is improving or if Happy Valley continues to be hard to get a read on. These two teams have been the hardest for me to figure out all season.

A little of both. The Warriors can't seem to get enough girls to "show up" all in the same game. They seem to have a couple girls on one game and a couple different ones on the next....if they all were ever on at the same time who knows their potential. I guess that's the story of everybody's game! Too much inconsistency!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That surprises me a little. A good night going for Greene County, as South Greene beat Elizabethton 46-40. I posted a summary on the 1 AA thread.

And a very good summary it was. I considered copying it and bringing

it on over, but you know how some folks can get all worked up over those

ole copyright laws. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

So many games we've seen this season have changed drastically after

half-time. Good coaching? Letdown? Playing not to lose?

Some of all of the above?

Probably.

First half: South Greene 31 Elizabethton 12

Second half: Elizabethton 28 South Greene 15

By my count, Jasmine Jefferson led all scorers with 22.

Megan Casteel led South Greene with 17.

It's fitting we give the Lady Cyclones full credit for upping the intensity,

actually beginning late in the second quarter, and continuing throughout

the game. And, how much Elizabethon had to do with it, I'm not sure,

but South Greene, after dominating the inside-out game early, showed no

sign of an offense in the second half. No apparent plays. No rythm. But, to

be fair, Rechelle Dye couldn't find the basket, no matter how hard she tried.

And fer-sure, we can't blame the free-throw shooting. Well, actually we can;

but both teams missed enough to win - - - or lose the game. The Lady Cyclones

missed five-of-twelve free-throws in the second half, and hit two of seven in the

fourth quarter. Meanwhile, the Lady Rebels were technically 3-of-10 in the fourth,

but three of those misses were front-enders; so, all-in-all, they left ten, potential

points on at the free-throw line.

Lots of pushing/shoving. Several "reaction" fouls; some whistled, but many of them

not called. Also, a couple scary scenes: Chelsea Bowling and Erin Anderson had to

be helped from the court. Both have battled injuries, illness throughout most of the

season; and we think, both will be good to go for the next game. And Kristen Powell

took one right in the face in the fourth quarter; another one of those "reaction" things,

but it's amazing how many of those go unnoticed, or at least, uncalled.

And how'bout that overtime win by North Greene, over Cloudland, in Baileyton? We'll

have more to say on that one a little later, but for now: When we asked North Greene

coach, James Buchanan, what it was like to finally beat the Lady Highlanders; what it's

been like to have the "can't beat Cloudland" monkey off his back. His response:

"It felt more like the whole jungle."

Final:

North Greene 45

Cloudland - - 37

The key adjustment, in my opinion, was stopping the back pick lob to Hicks. The Lady Cyclones also went inside relentlessly to Jefferson and Pietrowski in the third quarter and South Greene could not stop them. I think the young Cyclone guards were a little wide eyed in the first half and were rattled by the refs, the crowd, and the intensity level of the game. They decided that they could play with South Greene in the second half, probably after some halftime words of wisdom from Coach Dugger, and just got after them. I think South Greene probably thought the second half would mirror the first and got tight when Elizabethton started coming back. Casteel was the key player for South Greene. She scored big bucket after big bucket on slashing drives, put backs, and hustle plays. Coach Dugger gave Dye plenty of respect throughout the game by playing Powell a little off of her. I thought Powell did a great job on Dye when she had to guard her tight during the comeback. It was intersting that the Cyclone crowd was in a frenzy the entire second half and the home crowd seemed a bit subdued. Credit to South Greene for holding on for the win, but they knew they had been in a fight and I think they now know things in the District and Region may not be as easy as they had hoped.

I agree with you again (this is getting sickening), that Elizabethton played much

more inspired ball after half-time. However, I'm not convinced that the officiating

actually benefitted the home team. That they, "let em play," in the paint at least,

definitely was (to me) in favor of Elizabethton. When we get to late in the fourth

quarter, and Mariah has only one foul, then you gotta like Elizabethton's chances.

The fact that Powell and Dye didn't foul out might've been the biggest factor. Kristen

was leaning on Dye throughout the game, while Rechelle was very physical in her own

right. Yet, neither got in foul trouble. So, they're letting them maul each other in the

paint, and often they call every little touch out front.

So, compared to the other perimeter players, was Kamra Fritz THAT much more Physical?

But still, had one team, or the other, been a little better at the line, it could've been a

vastly different. EHS could've won it by hitting free-throws; conversely, South Greene

could have easily won by double-digits.

Shelby Hicks showed a balanced, left-hand/right-hand game. We'll see her get a little

stronger, and become a great post player. She played very well against Jasmine Hassell,

and last night she had a tremendous first half against Pietrowski (ten first-quarter points) And

the lobs you mentioned also puzzled me. I didn't think they could pull that off. Again, credit to

Coach Dugger for getting that figured out.

Can hardly wait till round two. And round three. And probably round four.

Just heard that the Lady Bulldogs traveled to Claiborne Co. and won 52-41. They outscored them something like 26-4 over the final quarter or something like that. Lady Dogs continue to trudge along without Weddle but I believe that they have won 7 out of their last 8 games. Pretty impressive. Well done ladies, keep up the good work.

Hampton has been impressive. The Lady Cyclones, though losers in Greene County,

have to be encouraged with their recent play.

Happy Valley has been inconsistent; or has Unaka improved that much after the home

loss to the Lady Warriors a couple weeks back? To their credit, the Lady Warriors went

to Chuckey Doak and won by three; and we know all too well about what Chuckey Doak

has done to a couple of our best.

Meanwhile, the Lady Blue Devils are still in the hunt with Elizabethton and South Greene,

thanks primarily to home win over the Lady Knights. If they can pull off the upset at home

against South Greene things will get very interesting.

A lot to look forward to.