Brad Lane

Guest AnyThing

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

legman,

Anonymous? Everyone calls me by name. If I desired anonymity I could simply take a new username every few weeks.

Dislike for the Bears? Review my past thread with Heath Eslinger concerning DI / DII. I stated that IMHO Bradley currently has the top program in the state. I like quality wrestling regardless of the school. I like to watch Bradley's quality wrestlers especially when they are competing with other quality wrestlers. Keller's challenge cup match with the Michigan guy may be the best HS match I've ever seen. Ranks right there with Shaun Smith of Tyner and George Lewis of McCallie from several years back.

Speak for your program? I speak for no one's program. I have a son at McCallie, but I do not speak for their program either. My opinions are my own. Some of my posts are not my opinions, occationally playing devil's advocate for discussion sake only.(Simpson Connection)

Call Coach Logsdon? I don't know CL personally, but I seriously doubt he cares about my opinion. I don't know about you, but I don't call people that I don't know. Besides, CL is very clear on his stance, stating his views in the newspapers for all to read.

I approached Bradley folks and made them feel uncomfortable? I only know 3 Bradley wrestling supporters: Turner Jackson, Allan Morris, and Heath's father Steve. They are each fantastic guys that have a common interest in wrestling. I don't believe you that any of these 3 people are uncomfortable discussing their opinions on any this or any other subject. I have clearly stated my opinion on no DI/DII but I do have an open mind. I welcome you to pursuade me and the many others to change our minds.

Lighten up legman. Don't take message boards so seriously. Good posts generate interest and discussion and can be a lot of fun. Give us a topic to discuss.

p.s. I hope that Brad Lane is eligable this year. It would be a shame for him to be denied the opportunity to compete for a year because he wanted to attend a different school. By law, Tennessee is a "right to work" state. Why would athletic competition be any different?

Walkenvol I am relatively new to this board, and have certain opins regarding DI and DII.

While I have been opposed to the split, I think reunification is fading fast with the transfer of Cody making further DI's case (see my post under DII subject). Perhaps never really a serious consideration to bring it back. But last years state was in a fabulous setting.

I am from Nashville and dont get much Chatt info regarding these things....I think my email is in here or post back to me here.

reftn

reftn,

Ditto on last year's state tourny. The TSSAA provided a great event.

It has been my experience that DI/DII is the abortion topic of wrestling and most people have their minds made up. I also agree with you that CC coming to McCallie added fuel to the fire. Most of the larger D1 programs in Chattanooga (SD, ER, Clev, Hixon, RB) wrestle the DII teams in tournys and/or dual meets therefore, for the majority, the only seperation is the state tournaments.

What are the sticking points between the 2 sides?

-Recruiting athletes. Against the rules and shouldn't happen. Reality is that good wrestlers will always be drawn to good programs because they desire the best coaching. Lot's of examples of this in both DI and DII.

- Financial aid to DII athletes. How much does the student's parents need to pay to please the DI crowd? Some schools are in the $5,000 range while others are approaching $15,000. I believe the pre split quota of 2 wrestlers on aid was set when the most expensive schools were in the $4,000 range. Should a great student not be allowed to participate because his parents can only afford $9,000? Should only the athletes paying full tuition be allowed in the state tourny?

- Better competition if combined? No reasonable dispute.

- Loss of revenue for the sport? Absolutely. The biggest dual meets in Chattanooga draw in the 2000 range. At $5 admission plus concessions these dual meets can generate over $10,000. Lack of funding might be the biggest enemy of all high school sports.

What do you think?

Rob Sherrell posted a very good article on www.tennwrestling on the subject you might enjoy reading

Posted by walkenvol:

reftn,

Ditto on last year's state tourny. The TSSAA provided a great event.

It has been my experience that DI/DII is the abortion topic of wrestling and most people have their minds made up. I also agree with you that CC coming to McCallie added fuel to the fire. Most of the larger D1 programs in Chattanooga (SD, ER, Clev, Hixon, RB) wrestle the DII teams in tournys and/or dual meets therefore, for the majority, the only seperation is the state tournaments.

What are the sticking points between the 2 sides?

-Recruiting athletes. Against the rules and shouldn't happen. Reality is that good wrestlers will always be drawn to good programs because they desire the best coaching. Lot's of examples of this in both DI and DII.

* Agree here. I know examples of DI schools violating the zoning lines and, of course, the financial aid students DII since the split.

- Financial aid to DII athletes. How much does the student's parents need to pay to please the DI crowd? Some schools are in the $5,000 range while others are approaching $15,000. I believe the pre split quota of 2 wrestlers on aid was set when the most expensive schools were in the $4,000 range. Should a great student not be allowed to participate because his parents can only afford $9,000? Should only the athletes paying full tuition be allowed in the state tourny?

* See, I think once you set levels (i.e. paying half rather than full tuition) you only muddy the waters and create a rule to be bent then broken.

The only financial aid source I know of is Princeton in NY. Parents must qualify by income verification in order to receive aid and that is a graduated scale based on income. Even if an aid students parent had to supply $5K toward a schools tuition, there is nothing to stop a wealthy alum from writing a check. I dont think you could track it that closely.

It would be much easier to track a DI kid living out of zone.

- Better competition if combined? No reasonable dispute.

* No dispute. Amazingly, its the kids that live above the fray on this, oblivious to the politics beneath them.

- Loss of revenue for the sport? Absolutely. The biggest

dual meets in Chattanooga draw in the 2000 range. At $5 admission plus concessions these dual meets can generate over $10,000. Lack of funding might be the biggest enemy of all high school sports.

* College too. I can see in the not too distant future all minor sports becoming self funding club sports. If the state jerks funds from high school sports (in the name of education? Imagine that) I am not sure I am against that. School has to be for education #1, all else follows. It would be easier to fund a club wrestling program than football for sure.

What do you think?

* Sometimes I think too much! Thank you for repsonding.

I read most of Rob's stuff, but will look to see I havent missed something.

Rob Sherrell posted a very good article on www.tennwrestling on the subject you might enjoy reading

[Edited by reftn on 8-29-02 8:01A]

• 3 months later...

It was made clear to me that Bradley was furious with Lane's decision, from what i had heard. and who is to say i don't know what i am talking about? maybe you don;t know what i am talking about. I might have known the situation better than you think. Maybe bradley will wrestle private schools again now since they have got Brad back.

Why not ask coach Logsdon? I'll bet he'll tell you he had no hard feelings towards Brad. Coach Logsdon and Brad's dad wrestled together at Bradley so I'm sure there may have been some hard feelings between them or maybe disappointment, but not towards the kid. Coach Logsdon is a good coach and an even better person, so I don't think he'd punish the kid. I think he understood that the kid was doing what his dad wanted him too. I'd also say Coach Logsdon had some hard feelings towards those from Baylor who "assisted" the Lanes move to Baylor. But that just my opinion.

Guest groberts

Lets not whip this into a further frenzy. These folks made a tough decision for whatever reason and are headed back to Bradley -- the end. Its tough to be a teen and tough to be a parent. It is my greatest hope that no "obvious whispering" occur in the same room as this kid.

Lets come together as a wrestling community with the kid on a pedastal on this one... let him enjoy the remainder of his carreer in the most successful program available today.No clouds.

"wrestling community" -- interesting concept