Brad Lane

Guest AnyThing

Youre right groberts. Being a teenager and a parent is tough. Brad is a good kid and his dad is a good man doing the best he can to raise his kids. The "community" needs to do all that it can to get Brad back in the room so he can continue an unusually promising career.

Wouldn't it be nice if the TSSAA thought about this when considering their transfer rules. The Baylor and Bradley wrestling programs will continue on. Unfortunately the TSSAA will continue on. However, their ruling on eligibilty is sure making it hard on an adolescent boy to continue his wrestling career. Isn't it ironic that in this case it is going from private to public.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mtnrasslin - I agree that the TSSAA completely missed the boat with the rule on going from private back to in zone public. I don't know these folks or their reasons for changing schools (and its nobody's business). I do have a son at a private school. Suppose that his mother or I became ill and couldn't work, no longer being able to afford the tuition, therefore having no choice but to return him to our home district public school. Should my son not be able to play sports because one of his parents became ill? Stupid, stupid rule. I don't know how the TSSAA can keep a straight face and tell us that they are in it for the best interest of the student athlete.

Probably so. What about Lane however. For various reasons he made a decision to go back to his home district and is not able to wrestle. Why do we, as adults, who are parents, coaches and school administrators, set up s system where a kid is penalized. Like I said earlier, Baylor wrestling will continue. There may be a hole in the in the line up but as is a;ways the case, Coach Morgan and Coach Van Deusen will fill it while teaching another young man some invaluable lessons. Bradley wrestling will continue as well. So will the TSSAA.

Unfortuinately a young kid who has been declared ineligible may not. I'm not sure we accomplished much in our petty desires to see our programs win. It is not right whether the shift is public to private or private to public.

I agree that it sometimes looks as though TSSAA does not always have the kids as 1st priority, but I can assure you that it is their intent. We must keep in mind that whatever is done in a case will set a precedent for future cases. I believe that these rules are in effect to protect institutions as well. They keep kids and parents from getting mad at one school or coach and just bouncing around to different schools everytime they get upset. I am not implying that this happened in the Lane case, I am just trying to look at this from a governing body point of view. Also, I am sure that the tranferring parties knew before making the decision to transfer that there was a possibility of sitting out for 12 months.

[Edited by KKW on 12-16-02 10:36A]