Smith Co. / G-ville

bigreid

I'm not sure about the rest of the state but the air sure is starting to get thick here in Smith Co. Just a little more than 2 days - Anybody getting the jitters yet? Come on yall! It's just a little, meaningless, rivalry! RIGHT??

Whatever!! Hey SENIORS!! Next year, 5 years, 10 years, even 15 years from now, the only way anybody outside of your immediate family will remember you is whether or not your team WINS in 2 days!! Better think about that long and hard. Fight to the death. No mercy for the weak. Come on boys, don't hold it all in, you'll explode!! Countdown to JUDGEMENT DAY!! Smith Co. 28 G-ville 0

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by jacketpride16:

big reid it was closer than u thought wasn't it

It should have been 35-0. The secondary didn't step up and make plays when they had a chance. The 2 fumbles were what got them in the game. Those mistakes will get us beat against a conference opponent.

On a side note... I listened to the G'ville broadcast of the game...disgusting. If you tuned on after the kickoff then you didn't even know who G'ville was playing. Biased i can understand, but to completely avoid saying your opponents name is dispicable.

[Edited by oldchsman on 9-1-02 3:29P]

Smith Co. db's were in good position all night long. Give a little bit of credit to Gordonsville's kids. Ray, Claiborne, and #22 all made some outstanding plays for catches. Ray went up one time specifically, with E. Gibbs and Ward in better position, and flat took it from them and left them looking up at their coaches as if to say "Did that just happen?" Claiborne's TD catch was a terrific play on the ball. All I could see was great plays.

Smith Co. should have scored a few more points(4th and a foot-penalty- settle for 3 & 3 turnovers while on the move, but Gville gave up an opportunity for a FG and failed on two PATs.

That's 5 pts. the margin of victory. I think these were two of the most talented teams ever to play each other in this series and ranks at the top on the best ever games in this series. These two teams are tough. Both the teams had exceptional line play. Good luck to anyone who has to play either of these two, you'll need it.

Posted by oldchsman:
Posted by jacketpride16:

big reid it was closer than u thought wasn't it

It should have been 35-0. The secondary didn't step up and make plays when they had a chance. The 2 fumbles were what got them in the game. Those mistakes will get us beat against a conference opponent.

On a side note... I listened to the G'ville broadcast of the game...disgusting. If you tuned on after the kickoff then you didn't even know who G'ville was playing. Biased i can understand, but to completely avoid saying your opponents name is dispicable.

[Edited by oldchsman on 9-1-02 3:29P]

chs man, What game did you watch! You talk like turnovers killed you . Did you see the stats? You can thank lady luck for that game. When Blake done had the first down and inside s/c 20 and the fumble occurs and your Liles picks it up and runs it inside G-ville 15, that is a backbreaking turnover. All s/c turnovers was around mid-field. Was G-ville inside the 10 when time ran out in the half? Yes, I think so. Face it! It was a good game and either team could have won it. I would like to see the game again with a healty Troy Claiborne. But, Thats part of it. It was a dog fight and s/c came out on top. But 35-0, GET REAL!!!!

Well said. Gordansville played better than I expected. I was impressed with #11. He can flat play. He reminds me of and old Smith Co. receiver who...when the ball was in the air...was money.(Ronald Edwards) But it could have gotten ugly if Smith Co. had taken care of the ball. Turnovers however are the great equalizer and what makes rivalries great. Till next year!!

Fan

Don't even start talking all that jazz about a healthy Claiborne. If a kid is healthy enough to play on KO return and start on defense, he IS healthy enough to play without excuses. I guess Smith Co. could say if one of their better CB's would not have gone down, Gville passing game might not have been as effective afterwards. There is no question in my mind that the better team won the game. But what a great game I thought it was. No excuses please. :)

[Edited by imallin on 9-1-02 10:54P]