Pickett Co. Basketball

catchpc10

I just want you to know that I was in attendance at the FCS/PC game and the team I saw play shouldn't be at the bottom of District 7. I've only had the pleasure of seeing Clay Co beat us twice and our team beat PC twice. I don't see alot of difference in our three teams.....I thought PC played well and their coach didn't help getting the Techinal on him. The little sawed off ref should stick with the circus.....all he wants to do is show off and let everyone in the gym know he's "IN CHARGE"..

He and the two black refs actually took away the whole game between the girls....29 fouls in teh first half and 21 in the 2nd??? Come on I bet those two teams hadn't had that many fouls in their last 4 games combined......

I will say this that PC will be someone's nightmare come district time......

FCS fan.........

Coach Bibb has been a little Technical happy here lately...he got one in the JC game, the Russellville game, and now the FCS game... I guess he knows what he's doing though and thats why he's the coach and we're not.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....that is definitely an interesting point of view..looks like someone needs to go back and rewatch the tape of that game. Those two instances with Dowdy, and the one at the end were definitely fouls, and the only person that did not see them had to be a blind man. That is a ridiculous post!!! At any rate, PC did not win this game, the refs did not give JC the game! Did it hurt us (PC) that they did not call those fouls?? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! But we had our chances and did not capitalize. 14 missed free throws will cost you any game within 5-10 points, but as someone said earlier PC will be ready by tourney time. Only problem is IF we can get by first round we will get Celina.........Would sure be a good time for an upset but we will need flawless basketball!!!!

Maybe thats who was reffing the game because only a blind man could have missed the fouls committed by Pickett Co. down low against JC's big men. At some point the ref's had to quit calling EVERYTHING against JC and let the players decide the game and in the end thats what happened the final minute of the game PC didn't get the calls they got ALL GAME LONG and JC's players stepped up and won the game. PC played hard, aint takin a thing away from the players but for anyone from PC to say you don't get any calls on your home floor thats just ignorance talking there.

Maybe thats who was reffing the game because only a blind man could have missed the fouls committed by Pickett Co. down low against JC's big men. At some point the ref's had to quit calling EVERYTHING against JC and let the players decide the game and in the end thats what happened the final minute of the game PC didn't get the calls they got ALL GAME LONG and JC's players stepped up and won the game. PC played hard, aint takin a thing away from the players but for anyone from PC to say you don't get any calls on your home floor thats just ignorance talking there.

I won't comment on any call made during the game other than the one not called at the end of the game cause the fouls were for the most part even i think but...The Aaron kid clearly was fouled, he ended up on the ground, and it wasn't because he tripped over his shoe laces...I was setting right there and watched it...Now with that said, PC lost this game because when they where down 1 with less than 30 secs left, they got to the foul line and Jo Dowdy missed two big free throws. This team is a horrible free throw shooting team, especially late, when they count. JC made their free throws and made the big shots at the end of the game, so they won it, and good for them, but I think everyone in the gym except for you thinks that was a foul at the end of the game. But that comes with single A refs in rural areas, they think inside of 30 secs they have to put their whistles in their pockets. But PC had their chance and blew it, so we as fans can't get on here and say that the ref cost us the game, because they didn't, we lost it by being awful in big situations at the free throw stripe.

I won't comment on any call made during the game other than the one not called at the end of the game cause the fouls were for the most part even i think but...The Aaron kid clearly was fouled, he ended up on the ground, and it wasn't because he tripped over his shoe laces...I was setting right there and watched it...Now with that said, PC lost this game because when they where down 1 with less than 30 secs left, they got to the foul line and Jo Dowdy missed two big free throws. This team is a horrible free throw shooting team, especially late, when they count. JC made their free throws and made the big shots at the end of the game, so they won it, and good for them, but I think everyone in the gym except for you thinks that was a foul at the end of the game. But that comes with single A refs in rural areas, they think inside of 30 secs they have to put their whistles in their pockets. But PC had their chance and blew it, so we as fans can't get on here and say that the ref cost us the game, because they didn't, we lost it by being awful in big situations at the free throw stripe.

Now this is a good post i agree with most all of it except..... The "steal" happened at halfcourt, on JC's side of the floor and I WAS SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT and there were NO PC FANS anywhere NEAR ME! Did the player hit the floor yeah but only after #33 for JC stole it from him. Was there contact? Not until after JC had the ball but had PC hit half there free throws this play never would have happened. Up to that point PC had shot free throws most of the game and no the foul shots per team were not close. PC missed more than JC shot. PC had their chances like you said and they played a great game, it was a great game plan by the coaching staff as well. They held the ball most of the game, it was like i was watching an old tape of UNC and Dean Smiths "Four Corner Stall" but that was their only chance to win. If JC plays them again they will be ready for it and the game won't be close the next time. JC has went to a bigger lineup and PC won't be able to match up against it but that is just speculation on my part. As for PC winning in the District tourney and playing Clay Co. i'm not sure how you can tell that. If JC wins out they will finish no worse than tied for 1st so they might not be playing Clay. We shall see alot of ball left till then!

Now this is a good post i agree with most all of it except..... The "steal" happened at halfcourt, on JC's side of the floor and I WAS SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT and there were NO PC FANS anywhere NEAR ME! Did the player hit the floor yeah but only after #33 for JC stole it from him. Was there contact? Not until after JC had the ball but had PC hit half there free throws this play never would have happened. Up to that point PC had shot free throws most of the game and no the foul shots per team were not close. PC missed more than JC shot. PC had their chances like you said and they played a great game, it was a great game plan by the coaching staff as well. They held the ball most of the game, it was like i was watching an old tape of UNC and Dean Smiths "Four Corner Stall" but that was their only chance to win. If JC plays them again they will be ready for it and the game won't be close the next time. JC has went to a bigger lineup and PC won't be able to match up against it but that is just speculation on my part. As for PC winning in the District tourney and playing Clay Co. i'm not sure how you can tell that. If JC wins out they will finish no worse than tied for 1st so they might not be playing Clay. We shall see alot of ball left till then!

The ball was stolen because the kid got tackled, easy to steal something when you get pushed down...and thats the last I'm gonna say about that, i sat their I watched it, you won't convince me other wise. As for it not being close next time, you JC fans didn't think it would be close the last time, and PC nearly beat you. As for not having size? Heath Elder is a big ole boy, trust me, I go to church with him, I've played pick up games with him for years...and he pushes me around a little bit of the time, and I'm 6'2 250....so thats not an easy task....don't say he can't handle these big guys, I mean he did light you all up for 23 pts last game. And Jo Dowdy has that long wing span at 6'2 to be able to guard virtually anyone, other than the center, on the court. Everyone has speculated on how bad PC was gonna be this year, and other than @ JC, @Monterey, and Clay at home, this team has been in every other game...This team is dangerous, because you never know what team will show up. Now I'm not saying they are for sure gonna go out and beat anyone in the state, but they have been playing good basketball against single A competition, and don't show any signs of stopping anytime soon. Now tomorrow night will say a lot about this team by how they play tomorrow night in Celina.

Coach Smith got one in JC game not Greg

I for some reason thought they both got one, but I may be wrong....I know he was trying to get one, cause he was all over the refs the entire second half....but like muffin said, Brent sure likes those technicals, but I kinda like them, makes girls basketball interesting again with him on the sidelines.

Actually in '97 that was the first year TSSAA started the sectional format where the top 2 teams for our region and 2 teams from Chattanooga's region would go to a place obviously that year it was Sale Creek..So they lost the district championship game, lost region championship game, and then lost the first round of the sectional, and they weren't tri-lakes conference champs either....so that team really didn't accomplish anything, in terms of what PC had done before and after that....that wasn't a very good team either. This team could very easily be 10-8 if they have won some of their close games. So yeah, that we are 6-12 is disappointing, it could be worse, it could be better, but its not. We as fan, or atleast I am, very proud of our past, but I have no intention of thinking our programs run has come to an end. Usually at the end of a great run, we have one down year in which we need to rebuild, '97 was that, and so is '09...'90-'96 we have an incredible run were we made state tournament every year but '94, and then '98-'08 we made state 4 times, made substate 3 times and then went to sectionals two or three times as well.. The next wave is coming thru, its just gonna take this season and part of next season to get us going good again.

yeah i'm being nit picky here... but DJ you're wrong... 1998-99 was the FIRST sectional year, as we faced CCS in the first round that year at Tn Tech. The next year we faced them down at Chatt State and ended up getting runner up. As a member of the 97-98 team lemme tell ya how that season went down. We finished about 6-6 or 7-5 in the district had to win our first game to continue playing, got to the district finals, lost to Upperman, got to the regional finals lost to C'range(by 1 with a time out left and the ref wouldnt give it to us, but thats another story for another day), had to go to Sale Creek School to play a sub-state game against Chatt Christian School and well i'd rather NOT remember that game... and you think 6-12 is disapointing that year we had a total of 8 wins durring the regular season iirc. yeah we made sub-state but it was still disapointing. here is the last 10 years in a nut shell:

1997-98: Dist runner up, region runner up Sub state loss

1998-99: dist runner up, region runner up sectional loss

1999-2000: Dist runner up, region champ, section runner up, final 4(loss to Cosby)

2000-01: Dist champs, region champs, sub state win, loss first round(EHC)

2001-02: Dist champs, region champs, sub state win, loss first round(Halls)

2002-03: Dist runner up, region semis(loss to Trousdale)

2003-04: Dist runner up, Region first round loss(westmoreland)

2004-05: Dist runner up, region champs, sub state win, first round loss(wayne county)

2005-06: Dist runner up, region runner up, sub state loss(grace baptist)

2006-07: Dist champ, region champ, sub state loss(Chatt Arts & Sciences) PC's ONLY loss at home durring playoffs...

2007-08: Dist champ, region semis(loss to Jackson Co)

2008-09: ?

maybe we've been spoiled all these years, but this season is NOT over till the tourny stars so LAY OFF OF THEM...

N.J.

Yeah I think you could say that we have had a good run here in Pickett County. Two state titles and around 10 state tourney appearances in this 19 yr span or so. That's pretty good. Been a lot of good players come through Byrdstown over these years. I'm afraid the run is over for a while though. I have been to most of the high school games this season and some of the junior high games. The fact is that the talent level isn't what it used to be. The high school team plays hard and plays smart but they just aren't as good as the other teams. Bibb has done a good job with what he has to work with. He has two guys to build around in Dowdy and Elder but that just isn't enough. And the bad thing is that the sophomores are a decent group but there is a huge dropoff until the 7th grade bunch. They are pretty good though. I expect at least 2 and maybe 3 of them to be playing ahead of all the current freshmen and 8th graders in two years. Maybe we can make it back up to the elite again but it doesn't look good. Well I'm off to Celina to support the Bobcats. Maybe we can hang with them.

yeah i'm being nit picky here... but DJ you're wrong... 1998-99 was the FIRST sectional year, as we faced CCS in the first round that year at Tn Tech. The next year we faced them down at Chatt State and ended up getting runner up. As a member of the 97-98 team lemme tell ya how that season went down. We finished about 6-6 or 7-5 in the district had to win our first game to continue playing, got to the district finals, lost to Upperman, got to the regional finals lost to C'range(by 1 with a time out left and the ref wouldnt give it to us, but thats another story for another day), had to go to Sale Creek School to play a sub-state game against Chatt Christian School and well i'd rather NOT remember that game... and you think 6-12 is disapointing that year we had a total of 8 wins durring the regular season iirc. yeah we made sub-state but it was still disapointing. here is the last 10 years in a nut shell:

1997-98: Dist runner up, region runner up Sub state loss

1998-99: dist runner up, region runner up sectional loss

1999-2000: Dist runner up, region champ, section runner up, final 4(loss to Cosby)

2000-01: Dist champs, region champs, sub state win, loss first round(EHC)

2001-02: Dist champs, region champs, sub state win, loss first round(Halls)

2002-03: Dist runner up, region semis(loss to Trousdale)

2003-04: Dist runner up, Region first round loss(westmoreland)

2004-05: Dist runner up, region champs, sub state win, first round loss(wayne county)

2005-06: Dist runner up, region runner up, sub state loss(grace baptist)

2006-07: Dist champ, region champ, sub state loss(Chatt Arts & Sciences) PC's ONLY loss at home durring playoffs...

2007-08: Dist champ, region semis(loss to Jackson Co)

2008-09: ?

maybe we've been spoiled all these years, but this season is NOT over till the tourny stars so LAY OFF OF THEM...

N.J.

Alright NS, your right, I got ya, I was thinking Tim Reagan, Pennycuff and Matt Smith graduated in 1996, but it was '97, so no that wasn't a bad year.....'98-'99 is what I was thinking, maybe '97-'98 seasons, those two kinda mesh together for me...When I said '97 I meant the '97-'98 season, we weren't very good that year, and we weren't very good the next year either. Aaron, Crouch and Asberry's sophomore year is when we really got good again.