District 4AAA

dins8

Last year Farragut was by far the best team with Bearden and Maryville being a distant second.

This year is more of an enigma because most coaches in this district are as puzzled as I am. Here are my thoughts:

Farragut: Culbreth has used superb rhetoric as he has casually and consistently stated that Farragut will have a rebuilding year (he has lost "umpteen seniors", they are way young etc. etc.), yet Farragut's rebuilding year is a normal team's dream season. Most of us know that there is really no such thing as a rebuilding year for the Admirals. Over the years, I have started to wonder if Culbreth actually knows what "rebuilding" means. Look for Farragut to again fight for the trophy.

Bearden: Bearden lost both Webster and Shoenfeld, but this might be a blessing in disguise. There are numerous youngsters at Bearden who are chomping at the bit to show Turner that they, too, can carry the torch for the Bulldogs. One of those youngsters--I forget his name--is just a sophomore and he is a SUPERB defender and attacker for Holland Orange. I believe the dawgs are probably the hungriest team after Maryville sent them packing early last year. After all, to Turner, a Bearden absence in the District Finals is unacceptable. One question that arises about Bearden's side is their keeper. He, too, has played well for Holland Orange, but will he be able to fulfill the shoes of the great Bearden keepers in the past?

Maryville: Maryville seems to be plagued with problems that are similar to Bearden's--they have graduated their star (Ridge Carter) and several other seniors. The difference between Maryville and a Farragut/Bearden is that Maryville has not proven that they can reload year after year. Sure, they had a good season last year, but I wonder if they will get complacent and automatically assume that they are going to have a down year. I know little about Maryville's '09 team, but I do know that they are young and talented (several major contributors on both Holland teams). I wonder though if they have the same type kids as Bearden and Farragut that will ensure that last year's upset over Bearden was not just a fluke.

Lenoir City: Lenoir City will be Lenoir City--raw, talented, streaky, and occasionally undisciplined. However, their veteran side comes at the perfect time. Lenoir City has a number of starters returning at the exact time that both Farragut and Bearden are young. Look for them to have a few more upsets than usual and maybe even have similar success that Maryville had last year come tourney time by taking down a Bearden/Farragut that appears to be looking ahead.

Sevier County: Another team that has the good fortune of a larger senior class while Bearden and Farragut are down. Sevier County also has the toughest player in the district and my pre-season pick for District Player of the Year. He wears #2 (I forget his name), and he has great pace, excellent goal-scoring ability, and a knack for stepping up in big games. Anyone know who I'm talking about? He is the most underrated player in the district! Look for Sevier County to be a potential sleeper.

Prediction: What makes this year interesting is there is no way to predict the outcome. There is no real superstar, no team that appears to be overloaded with talent, and no coach that is completely confident in how his team will stack up. It could be a wacky year for District 4AAA.

Thoughts? Predictions?

You think this year is bad, wait until next year when this district gets Knox West and Catholic.

Yes talk about some powerhouse teams!!! That district should be the toughest district in the state hands down next year. Good luck to those teams... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Last year Farragut was by far the best team with Bearden and Maryville being a distant second.

This year is more of an enigma because most coaches in this district are as puzzled as I am. Here are my thoughts:

Farragut: Culbreth has used superb rhetoric as he has casually and consistently stated that Farragut will have a rebuilding year (he has lost "umpteen seniors", they are way young etc. etc.), yet Farragut's rebuilding year is a normal team's dream season. Most of us know that there is really no such thing as a rebuilding year for the Admirals. Over the years, I have started to wonder if Culbreth actually knows what "rebuilding" means. Look for Farragut to again fight for the trophy.

Bearden: Bearden lost both Webster and Shoenfeld, but this might be a blessing in disguise. There are numerous youngsters at Bearden who are chomping at the bit to show Turner that they, too, can carry the torch for the Bulldogs. One of those youngsters--I forget his name--is just a sophomore and he is a SUPERB defender and attacker for Holland Orange. I believe the dawgs are probably the hungriest team after Maryville sent them packing early last year. After all, to Turner, a Bearden absence in the District Finals is unacceptable. One question that arises about Bearden's side is their keeper. He, too, has played well for Holland Orange, but will he be able to fulfill the shoes of the great Bearden keepers in the past?

Maryville: Maryville seems to be plagued with problems that are similar to Bearden's--they have graduated their star (Ridge Carter) and several other seniors. The difference between Maryville and a Farragut/Bearden is that Maryville has not proven that they can reload year after year. Sure, they had a good season last year, but I wonder if they will get complacent and automatically assume that they are going to have a down year. I know little about Maryville's '09 team, but I do know that they are young and talented (several major contributors on both Holland teams). I wonder though if they have the same type kids as Bearden and Farragut that will ensure that last year's upset over Bearden was not just a fluke.

Lenoir City: Lenoir City will be Lenoir City--raw, talented, streaky, and occasionally undisciplined. However, their veteran side comes at the perfect time. Lenoir City has a number of starters returning at the exact time that both Farragut and Bearden are young. Look for them to have a few more upsets than usual and maybe even have similar success that Maryville had last year come tourney time by taking down a Bearden/Farragut that appears to be looking ahead.

Sevier County: Another team that has the good fortune of a larger senior class while Bearden and Farragut are down. Sevier County also has the toughest player in the district and my pre-season pick for District Player of the Year. He wears #2 (I forget his name), and he has great pace, excellent goal-scoring ability, and a knack for stepping up in big games. Anyone know who I'm talking about? He is the most underrated player in the district! Look for Sevier County to be a potential sleeper.

Prediction: What makes this year interesting is there is no way to predict the outcome. There is no real superstar, no team that appears to be overloaded with talent, and no coach that is completely confident in how his team will stack up. It could be a wacky year for District 4AAA.

Thoughts? Predictions?

I agree that this year will be hard to predict. Farragut, Maryville and Bearden all lost some very good Senior players. Farragut definitely had the better overall Season, but Maryville did take them to overtime in the District Championship so at the end of the Season I don't think Farragut was much better than Maryville.

As far as this year, I know Maryville only has three returning Seniors(Ryan Pugh, Watson Hartsoe and Teddy Hare) but they are very Solid players and good leaders. Pugh and Hartsoe were both All District last year. Plus, as you mentioned they do have several very good sophomore players of which two Austin Pugh(All District as well) and Alex Wadell started as freshman. Also, they have some good Junior players that started last year. In the end, they could be a very solid team if they get the right leadership and chemistry. Sometimes a team without a Star but a number of very good players plays better as a team. You just never know.

From what I remember Bearden has a few Liverpool players which are either Juniors or Seniors and then not sure after that.

As for Farragut not sure who there top players are this year. Anybody know?

Should be fun to watch!