What can be done to get more top teams to the duals?

maj

Teams that took 2nd

2008 Hixson Class A-AA 27-31 Clarksville

2008 Ooltewah Class AAA 12-54 Clarksville

2007 Seymour Class A-AA 28-30 Clarksville

2007 Bradley Central Class AAA 23-35 Clarksville

2006 Franklin Road Academy Class A-AA 23-48 Clarksville

2006 Sycamore Class A-AA 9-64 Clarksville

2006 Clarksville Class AAA 30-31 Clarksville

2005 Bradley Central Class AAA 31-32 Clarksville

2005 Springfield Class A-AA 29-38 Clarksville

2004 Soddy-Daisy Division I 22-38 Clarksville

2003 Soddy-Daisy Division I 24-42 Clarksville

2001 Clarksville Division I

2000 Bradley Central Division I

1999 Clarksville Division I

1998 Brentwood Division I

1997 Page Small

1996 David Lipscomb Small

1995 Red Bank Large

1995 Greeneville Small

1994 Springfield Small

1993 Springfield Small

1992 Baylor Large

1992 Springfield Small

1991 Brentwood Large

1991 Oakhaven Small

1990 Knoxville Halls Large

1990 Brentwood Academy Small

1989 Franklin

Some of these teams have kept strong programs and others have fell off the radar.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Team Dual Champs over last 20 years

2008 Notre Dame Class A-AA 31-27 Clarksville

2008 Bradley Central Class AAA 54-12 Clarksville

2007 Notre Dame Class A-AA 30-28 Clarksville

2007 Soddy-Daisy Class AAA 35-23 Clarksville

2006 Notre Dame Class A-AA 48-23 Clarksville

2006 Bradley Central Class AAA 31-30 Clarksville

2005 Franklin Class AAA 32-31 Clarksville

2005 Franklin Road Academy Class A-AA 38-29 Clarksville

2004 Bradley Central Division I 38-22 Clarksville

2003 Bradley Central Division I 42-24 Clarksville

2002 Soddy-Daisy Division I 35-30 Clarksville

2002 Baylor Division II 42-26 Clarksville

2000 Clarksville Division I

1999 Bradley Central Division I

1998 Bradley Central Division I

1997 John Overton Large

1997 Brentwood Academy Small

1996 Father Ryan Large

1996 Brentwood Academy Small

1995 Bradley Central Large

1995 Brentwood Academy Small

1994 Bradley Central Large

1994 Cleveland Small

1993 McCallie Large

1993 Cleveland Small

1992 McCallie Large

1992 Cleveland Small

1991 McCallie Large

1991 East Ridge Small

1990 McCallie Large

1990 Chattanooga Central Small

1989 Soddy-Daisy

One possible remedy for your hopes to have a better 3rd place team in a tournament is to have a NIT. "Not In Tournament", Tournament. Then if you win it all you could say you are the NIT state champion. It sounds good. The boys get to wrestle and the fans of the teams get to sit in a gym for 18 hours and eat popcorn. You could get Clarksville to supply the popcorn. I hear it is pretty good. Anyway, look at region 5 for example, Where was this years champion 4 years ago. I think they only had 8 or 9 wrestlers back then. Answer, Win and you get clarksville popcorn at clarksville. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

tnko, I am having a hard time following you in this thread. I don't see any Owls crying about not qualifying for the State Tournament this year. We got beat by two better teams and didn't make it. I do agree with maj, however, in that I would like to see a system to get the best 16 teams in the tournament each year. That's not to say that I'm not happy for any newcomers to tournament, because I am.

maj has some creative suggestions to strengthen the tournament, and maybe this thread will generate some others. I think that was the reason for the thread, not to diminish the achievements of any team that did qualify under the current system.

You referred to Ooltewah as 'rich', and I think that's really funny. Our boosters work really hard to fund our program, but we certainly aren't rich financially. I think you meant that we were 'rich' in wrestling heritage, and I took your previous post to suggest that maybe we had had our time in the lime light, and it was a good thing for us to get out of the way for another team. Maybe I read too much in to your post, but just so you know - we are one time Region Champions in 30 years! Our coaches and wrestlers are a hard working, blue collar bunch, and you don't get much more humility than this group has.

Ooltewah 'Rich'....THAT is rich!

Some would consider those other regions as (gimmes). You go back through tournament bracketts and look at how many 3 seeds from our regions dominate 1 seeds from other regions at the state tournament. I'm not saying that theres not top flight wrestlers elsewhere because there are plenty. I think that this years state tournament will bear that out. What i'm talking about is the depth of wrestling tallent is stronger in our regions along with Chattanooga area teams. I didn't name any teams, I don't have too. The rest of the state already knows this information, I think what upsets you is that we get on here and say it out loud. I'm just telling you my thoughts through this computer but i can give you plenty of examples of out of zone kids at other schools, I've got one of them. If Hixson High had all the students in this area they were supposed to get, the tallent level would be enormous. I mean LOADED, Bradley LOADED. Rigger, your right about the cycles and over the next few years i see the Nashville area having more depth, Memphis has some strong kids coming out also. I personally think Chattanooga is at the end of a cycle not to say we still want have some strong teams and alot of individuals but the tallent will become more spread out. I love what Mr. Kennedy has done with the Sharpshooters and that is going to speak volumes with the Blackmon program. Rabbit Turner has a real strong group of kids that will hit over the next 2 to 3 years also, so Soddy will be back on an upswing. Red Bank, East Ridge, Central thats a different story, all have great Coaches but the culture and demographics of those schools has changed. I bet most people don't realize Red Bank has gone from around 1400 kids when I was in school there to about 700-800 kids, the community itself is old and alot of the students get bused to the school. Then they built a hugh school on Signal Mtn that has taken most of the students out of Red Bank. Nashville will enjoy getting Jessie Register as their new Super up there, I'm laughing out loud. He has destroyed our public schools so now Chattanooga is made up of about 100 small Christian schools and the regular public schools. Just something to think about.

I really dont disagree with you anywhere and understand your dismay.

But there is nothing that any of us can do about it. We dont get a vote on this one.

I just dont want up and comers now and in future years getting dissed because maybe its their first dance and their just doing the "electric slide" while other old schoolers have already been on "dancing with the stars" /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I just want to be gracious and humble about it..... but a 24 seed sounds great!!! and double elim at Indivd. State too!!!

tnko, I am having a hard time following you in this thread. I don't see any Owls crying about not qualifying for the State Tournament this year. We got beat by two better teams and didn't make it. I do agree with maj, however, in that I would like to see a system to get the best 16 teams in the tournament each year. That's not to say that I'm not happy for any newcomers to tournament, because I am.

maj has some creative suggestions to strengthen the tournament, and maybe this thread will generate some others. I think that was the reason for the thread, not to diminish the achievements of any team that did qualify under the current system.

You referred to Ooltewah as 'rich', and I think that's really funny. Our boosters work really hard to fund our program, but we certainly aren't rich financially. I think you meant that we were 'rich' in wrestling heritage, and I took your previous post to suggest that maybe we had had our time in the lime light, and it was a good thing for us to get out of the way for another team. Maybe I read too much in to your post, but just so you know - we are one time Region Champions in 30 years! Our coaches and wrestlers are a hard working, blue collar bunch, and you don't get much more humility than this group has.

Ooltewah 'Rich'....THAT is rich!

That is exactly what I meant, rich in wrestling heritage and TALENT!! Nothing demeaning at all.

I know that the Owl family is not complaining and understand that it is no other schools fault but other posters vocalize and it just doesnt seem very humble to other new talent who earned their spot in their respected regions. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

As one of those "other teams" mentioned, I feel that Ooltewah should definitely be in Clarksville. There is definitely something wrong with the system when teams like that are left out. The "wild card" idea sounds good. Every year a very strong team or two doesn't make it. That kind of puts a cloud over the whole thing.

As one of those "other teams" mentioned, I feel that Ooltewah should definitely be in Clarksville. There is definitely something wrong with the system when teams like that are left out. The "wild card" idea sounds good. Every year a very strong team or two doesn't make it. That kind of puts a cloud over the whole thing.

That could work but I'm sure if you based it off a poll you would have a team saying but we beat them like Texas and OK this year. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Anybody who doesn't like the way it is now is really going to be unhappy next year. This is the final year of this way of doing things; the new way may be even worse.

In case anyone didn't know, there is one three team conference consisting of Bradley, Cleveland, and Ooltewah.

Do the math.

I don't think any commentary is necessary on that one. There are many adjectives both refined and churlish to describe it. Ludicrous is my personal favorite.

Region One will be a 21 team region next year; when the regions were realigned, three of our newer teams (North Greene, Volunteer, and Cocke County) were left out.

I've been around long enough that I just accept that there is going to be a healthy portion of madness in these proceedings. All I can do is try to make sure that my lot holds on to their piece of ground.

And I love living in Johnson City. No traffic, an hour from Asheville; if we had a decent microbrewery it would be a veritable paradise for me.

In 2013 it will change again; trying to predict just how is an interesting proposition.

Anybody who doesn't like the way it is now is really going to be unhappy next year. This is the final year of this way of doing things; the new way may be even worse.

In case anyone didn't know, there is one three team conference consisting of Bradley, Cleveland, and Ooltewah.

Do the math.

I don't think any commentary is necessary on that one. There are many adjectives both refined and churlish to describe it. Ludicrous is my personal favorite.

Region One will be a 21 team region next year; when the regions were realigned, three of our newer teams (North Greene, Volunteer, and Cocke County) were left out.

I've been around long enough that I just accept that there is going to be a healthy portion of madness in these proceedings. All I can do is try to make sure that my lot holds on to their piece of ground.

And I love living in Johnson City. No traffic, an hour from Asheville; if we had a decent microbrewery it would be a veritable paradise for me.

In 2013 it will change again; trying to predict just how is an interesting proposition.

the three teams are Bradley,Ooltewah and Soddy.