D1 State Duals TSSAA Mix-Up

tnko

I can see why Cleveland is in the lower bracket but Indy should have been down there before Clarksville.

Just going by Region winners and state ranking this year with some sort of thought-out bracketing as the TSSAA mentioned in the paper would have seeded them similar to this...

1-BRADLEY--won region and ranked #2 in coaches state poll

2-INDY--won region and ranked #7 in coaches state poll

3-BLACKMAN-- won region and ranked #8 in coaches state poll

4-SODDY-- won region and ranked #9 in coaches state poll

5-CLARKSVILLE-- won region and ranked #10 in coaches state poll

6-SCIENCE HILL-- won region and ranked honorable mention in state poll

Brackets would have looked something more like this

#1 BRADLEY

BRENTWOOD

MT JULIET

COLLIERVILLE

#5 CLARKSVILLE

DOBYNS BENNETT

TULLAHOMA

#4 SODDY DAISY

Lower Bracket

#3 BLACKMAN

CORDOVA

HALLS

#6 SCIENCE HILL

GLENCLIFF

CLEVELAND

HENDERSONVILLE

#2 INDEPENDENCE

With proper seeding this would have been more accurate.

All 6 seeds would have a #2 region placer in the first round except #6 Science Hill because Cleveland is stronger than Halls and S-HILL deserves the easier match with a region championship.

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why Cleveland is in the lower bracket but Indy should have been down there before Clarksville.

Just going by Region winners and state ranking this year with some sort of thought-out bracketing as the TSSAA mentioned in the paper would have seeded them similar to this...

[snip]

I posted the following in the other thread where you posted this but you seem to want to have the discussion in its own thread so posting here as well:

The one and only flaw in you logic is that you presume the use of the state rankings poll. There is no way the TSSAA would or should allow that for seeding purposes because many of the same coaches who vote on the poll would be involved in the duals. While I have a lot of faith in the honor and character of the coaches and don't believe any of them would hedge their votes to help themselves or others, there is no way the TSSAA would or should allow a situation where even that perception could exist.

I couldn't agree more that the TSSAA should have gone by the old, apparently unwritten, seeding criteria. They also failed to do so in DII and in drastically changed some positions in that bracket.

If both divison's coaches prefer the old, unwritten criteria then they need to get a proposal written, approved by the coaches, and sent to the Board of Control of the TSSAA so that those criteria make it into the handbook for next year. That is the only way to ensure that the TSSAA follows guidelines. Unfortunately, coaches in both divisions probably learned the hard way this year (amazed we all haven't learned this well enoguh in the past) that you can't trust the TSSAA to do what is right...

1-BRADLEY--won region and ranked #2 in coaches state poll

2-INDY--won region and ranked #7 in coaches state poll

3-BLACKMAN-- won region and ranked #8 in coaches state poll

4-SODDY-- won region and ranked #9 in coaches state poll

5-CLARKSVILLE-- won region and ranked #10 in coaches state poll

6-SCIENCE HILL-- won region and ranked honorable mention in state poll

Brackets would have looked something more like this

#1 BRADLEY

BRENTWOOD

MT JULIET

COLLIERVILLE

#5 CLARKSVILLE

DOBYNS BENNETT

TULLAHOMA

#4 SODDY DAISY

Lower Bracket

#3 BLACKMAN

CORDOVA

HALLS

#6 SCIENCE HILL

GLENCLIFF

CLEVELAND

HENDERSONVILLE

#2 INDEPENDENCE

With proper seeding this would have been more accurate.

All 6 seeds would have a #2 region placer in the first round except #6 Science Hill because Cleveland is stronger than Halls and S-HILL deserves the easier match with a region championship.

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Seeing most of these teams wrestle(did not see Halls-Dobbyns) and keeping up with all the results as much as possible---I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE WITH THIS LINEUP!!! I also believe the coaches poll got it right!!

As a coach, it can become frustrating when your team "seemingly" gets underrated when it comes to seeding.

However, also as a coach, the ultimate goal is to wrestle and beat the best teams.

With this in mind--it shouldn't matter what seed your teams gets...even if you had the #1 overall seed in the first round--if your goal is to be the best, you eventually have to beat that team.

Does the seeding reflect the polls...probably not...but as ghouse stated so eloquently--they shouldn't. The state and the coaches' poll must remain separate entities.

As a coach, it can become frustrating when your team "seemingly" gets underrated when it comes to seeding.

However, also as a coach, the ultimate goal is to wrestle and beat the best teams.

With this in mind--it shouldn't matter what seed your teams gets...even if you had the #1 overall seed in the first round--if your goal is to be the best, you eventually have to beat that team.

Does the seeding reflect the polls...probably not...but as ghouse stated so eloquently--they shouldn't. The state and the coaches' poll must remain separate entities.

So you don't think that seeding is necessary? Is it ok for two good teams go against each other early spoiling one's chances to get to the finals when another team with an easier path may get there and is obviously not the strongest of the teams that or in the tournament.? I think that is possible without the seeding process. You sound like you are from Ohio or something /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I agree, you will need to beat everyone to win, the only thing that would change would be the second place team. I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a shirt that said Second Place Team in State.

I mean I would probably wear one--nothing wrong with coming in second--but yeah, most competitive people would want that first place T-shirt!

I'm sure Independence and Soddy aren't mad about where they are. Its a chance for them to prove everybody wrong. Everybody likes a challenge and this is their chance to take down number 1 and shock the state. That's why I'm pulling for them both. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I agree with you overall but....

If Cleveland were in another region and was region champion and they and Bradley were #2 and #3 in the coaches polls and met in the first or second round of the top bracket..... the Vatican's gates would open up with posters on here complaining about bias.

Bradley and Ooltewah were #2 and #4 last year and they received their proper seeds at state last year....

Whether its about a home town advantage and tickets sales for hosting Clarksville or

watching over gods country in the Chattown wrestling community.....

everyone else is on the outside looking in........

I dont believe Indy was in the "incrowd"................just my opinion.

TNKO quit whining and complaining so much. The best team that day will win. Who cares about fighting for second and third place. Besides the fact that you could argue it several different ways. Independence and Blackman have finished behind some of these teams at tournaments this year and beaten some of the others. Either way there are no where near a for sure Number 1,2,3 or 4 so just let them wrestle.

Since your so high on these coach's polls for the rankings, maybe we should take the two indivual sets of rankings who are done by coaches and use them for the individual state. WHAT A JOKE! Those rankings don't mean anything.

I agree, you will need to beat everyone to win. The only thing that might change would be the second place team.

I have never seen anyone wearing a shirt that said Second Place Team in State.

But it is a thought! I wonder if they would sell?

Our kids are still wearing the shirts that we had made last year. It has 'runner up State Duals' on the back among other accomplishments. Our group was rather proud of it. What size do you wear LovinIt? I may still have one or two.

Our kids are still wearing the shirts that we had made last year. It has 'runner up State Duals' on the back among other accomplishments. Our group was rather proud of it. What size do you wear LovinIt? I may still have one or two.

If it has Ooltewah on it I would be proud to wear it!!! If "Body by Jake" has been wearing them I could sell those bad boys to a few young women I know and make a nice profit which I would be willing to split with you.

To answer your question, I am larger than I would like to be!