MBA BASKETBALL

theUmia90

WHAT DO CHASE DUNN, CASEY PRATHER, MEIKO LYLES AND DREW KELLEY ALL HAVE IN COMMON?????

THEY ARE ALL 2009 MR BASKETBALL FINALIST AND THEY ARE ALL NASHVILLE CELTICS.

AND IF YOU BELIEVE /faiths/ THEY ALL HAVE MUCH MORE POTENTIAL ... SO THEY'RE JUST GETTING STARTED.

CONGRATS GUYS!!!! MAYBE DAVID HOWARD WILL BE AS HORRIBLE AS YOU GUYS WITH THE CELTICS HELP.

Are these players good because they're on the Celtics, or are the Celtics good because these players are part of the program? There is a difference.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these players good because they're on the Celtics, or are the Celtics good because these players are part of the program? There is a difference.

ALL OF THESE GUYS STARTED (15U) AND ENDED (17U) OR WILL END (LYLES) WITH THE CELTICS. YOUR POINT IS VALID. HOWEVER, THE CELTICS HAVEN'T STUNTED ANY ONE PLAYERS GROWTH. SO WITH D1 STYLE PRACTICES, TRUE POSITION EVALUATION AND TRAINING, STIFF COMPETITION IN TOP FLIGHT TORNEYS AND GREAT RELATIONSHIPS WITH STAFF; YES. THESE GUYS HAVE BEEN MADE BETTER BY THE CELTICS. AS WELL AS EVERY PLAYER IN THE PROGRAM.

They were the most underachieving 17-u team anywhere last year - had all these good players and never really got anything done. I know they played good competition in some of their tournaments, but they never really got anything accomplished. Makes you wonder what kind of coaching is really going on there.

Player development is part of any good summer program. We (Tennessee Travelers) feel like we do a very good job of that. Our track record is unmatched. However, there is only so much any program or coach can do. Player development is really up to the individual player. Summer programs and high school programs play a role in that, but are not the defining factor.

Lee Humphrey, for example, took things to a higher level because his individual work ethic was second to none. Did we play a role in that? Yes. Did his high school coach? Yes. But Lee's accomplishments were a tribute to how hard he worked each day. Same thing for all the great players that have come through our program. We played a role in their success, but they were the ones who put in the hard work and gave themselves a chance to be successful.

We've had 23 Mr. Basketball winners and too many finalists to even count, but those guys got to that point because of their hard work.

They were the most underachieving 17-u team anywhere last year - had all these good players and never really got anything done. I know they played good competition in some of their tournaments, but they never really got anything accomplished. Makes you wonder what kind of coaching is really going on there.

THE CELTICS PLAYED THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULE ACROSS THE BOARD (14U-17U) LAST YEAR BY FAR. AND BY DESIGN. THE ACCOMPLISHMENT WAS MAKING THEIR PLAYERS BETTER.

I would disagree on the point that the Celtics played the toughest schedule. They played a very tough schedule, but so did we. We played Athletes First (Xavier Hentry, Kyle Hardrick, Daniel Orton) five times and the Gauchos twice at 17-u.

Our schedule, across the board (14's through 17's), was very tough, as tough or tougher than anybody's. Our purpose is to provide the best competition and exposure possible, and we accomplished that, just as we have for the past 22 years, as good or better than anybody. And our teams were fairly to highly, highly successful.

The Nike circuit is incredibly competitive - Athletes First, Gauchos, BABC, Boo Williams, Georgia Stars, Houston Hoops, Arkansas Wings, Memphis Y, Wisconsin Playground, etc. No easy games, not even in pool play. It just doesn't get any tougher than that - period.

The Celtics played a good schedule. To say that is was tougher than ours is not true. Was it as tough? Hard to say because we play on different circuits - kind of like playing in different conferences. You could make the argument they were equally as tough and I would understand that, but tougher - no way. Our schedule is consistently as good as there is in the nation, and has been for years.

Why are you so concerned about this? I don't know why he isn't playing, nor do I care. I am also not privy to the reasons that the Howards decided to change schools, but that is also none of my business (our your business), so again, I don't care. You can play the recruiting card all you want, but you'll never be able to offer any proof of wrongdoing. Based on the limited information that I have, there was a change made because the family moved, and both boys, including the older brother, who is not on the basketball team, were enrolled. I'm not sure why he isn't playing, but I trust the judgement of the people who would make that decision. They are the ones who see him at practice and in the classroom on a daily basis, and I can think of a variety of situations related to basketball, academics, or life outside of school where it might be in Mr. Howard's best interest to let him develop for a year. I do know that it is very atypical for a freshman to play much less start for the basektball team at MBA or any other large DII school for that matter, especially if they transferred in after the season started. He will still have 3 years to play on the varsity team, and it sounds like he has a lot of potential to be a very good player. You can keep taking digs at the MBA basketball program, but the bottom line is that this team of "football players" turned out to have as good of a year if not a better year than the Independence team, and as has been previously pointed out, MBA has more state titles than almost any other basketball program in TN.

MBA RECRUITS LIKE MANIACS!!!!! and it doesnt work!!!!!

they cant win!

If u call "underacheiving" being one of the best or probably THE BEST team in TN. And sending more guys to D1 schools than any other team in TN. Then YES the Nashville Celtics were the most underacheiving team in TN.

Not even close to being the best team in Tennessee. Their 17's had a lot of talent, but didn't do a whole lot in the tournaments they played in. The younger teams - 16's, 15's, and 14's - weren't even a factor anywhere.

They also claim a lot of signees that are kind of iffy. They claim Drazen Zlovaric from a couple of years ago. The truth is, he played with them from one tournament (he played with 3 or 4 teams that year) and ended up signing with Georgia. Georgia had already offered him before he played with the Celtics. Chase Dunn played with them at 16, did not play last year, and signed with basically his hometown school.

They did have a good number of D1 signees, but that's usually not the norm for them. I will give them credit for not changing their name again - they have actually been the Celtics for 2 or 3 years in a row now.