Dekalb co. vs. Cannon co.

BigPun

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok something going on weird with my computer, but DC Im confident is the most prepared team. They have the best Coach in the District Lynus Martin. He is by far the best floor coach in the upper cumberland. There is not a coach that is more passionate about the program or the school. Look for Coach Martin to have his team ready for win and make a run oninto the region.

I 'm going to say CC by 4! At least I really hope so!!! In my opinion, I don't see this game being decided by any more than that because these two teams are absolutely evenly matched. I see one difference and that would be is Coach Rigsby is in his first year and he doesn't have the luxury Coach Martin does of knowing his kids will execute because he has had his system in place for a couple of years now. I believe this is important because this game will be so close execution will mean so much. But, nonetheless I'm still hoping on CC by 4. Good Luck guys, get us back to Region for the first time in years!

Ok something going on weird with my computer, but DC Im confident is the most prepared team. They have the best Coach in the District Lynus Martin. He is by far the best floor coach in the upper cumberland. There is not a coach that is more passionate about the program or the school. Look for Coach Martin to have his team ready for win and make a run oninto the region.

the best huh?? just watch coach rigsby tonight come 8:30 wanna see a coach with passion for his team just watch him. and as far as being ready well lets just say you will see...

I have not seen Rigsby coach so I can't say which coach has more passion, but I know watching Lynus coach is almost like watching Bruce Pearl, lol. Passion or no passion, DC comes home with the W tonight. Good luck to Coach Martin and his boys /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Putting everyone's biases aside, nobody is for sure who is going to win tonight. It will come down to who does the little things. Can Cannon block out????? Can DeKalb get out and cover Cannon's shooters????? Who can keep their turnovers low and get to the free throw line more????? I agree with the comment about Coach Martin having been a head coach in a district tournament game before. That could play a factor, may not. Another thing you have to consider is the age and maturity of the teams. DeKalb is starting seniors and juniors and Cannon is mostly sophmores and 2 seniors. Dekalb's team has made it to the Region a couple of times in the past few years and know what it takes to get there. This is something new to Cannon players who have not had the opportunity to play in the Region (not since 02-03 season) and has had numerous coaching changes. Coach Rigsby has done a great job with Cannon this year and has made a vast improvement compared to its previous 2 coaches. Overall, both teams have looked really good at times and really bad at times. Thats going to happen during a season. And as far as passion for their teams and the game of basketball, both coaches definately have that. Trust me... I'm good friends with both. The one thing we all know is that both teams show up to play everytime when playing one another. I did when I played..... on both teams.... for those of you wondering who I am there's a hint... but I honestly think it will be one heck of game... Good Luck to both squads.. I'll continue to cheer for the team that wins tonight throughout the rest of the tournament.

I personally know that Coach Martin and Coach Rigsby are the great of friends which pours over to each teams players you can watch them play and tell that that is why we had 2 games played, each winning 1 each by a total of 4 points. In my previous post I said this is the best district to watch a Highschool ball game without a player that feels maybe he might be a head above everyone else. Watch tonite and I think you will see a ballgame you will enjoy to have seen. HATS OFF TO COACH RIGSBY AND COACH MARTIN GOOD LUCK TO ALL /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

DeKalb won 56-54.

Tigers fend off Cannon County in District Tournament opener

February 20, 2009

Jeff Miller scored 19 points and Abram Edwards added 13 more as the fourth-seeded DeKalb County High School Tiger basketball team advanced to the semi-finals of the District 7-AA Tournament, with a 56-54 win over fifth-seeded Cannon County, Friday night at Tennessee Tech. The Tigers blew a 14-point first half lead, and had to fight back from a nine-point third period deficit to earn the win, and also claim a berth into next week's Region 4-AA Tournament in the process.

The Tigers got off to a hot start, hitting 4-of-7 three-point attempts in the first period, three of those coming from Miller, who had nine points in the quarter. DeKalb County led 16-9 at the end of the first, and owned a 25-11 lead, with 5:52 to go in the half. The Lions rallied, however, using a 15-0 run to go up, 26-25, with 1:08 to go in the half. The Tigers scored the last basket of the half, and took a 27--26 lead into the locker room at the intermission.

DeKalb County continued to struggle offensively in the third period, as Cannon County scored the first six points of the half, and opened up a 38-29 lead, with 3:06 to go in the third. The Tigers got to within four, at 38-34, at the end of the period, and went on a 12-2 run to take a 46-40 lead, with 5:03 to go in the game. Again, the Lions fought back, and went ahead, 51-50, with 1:45 to play, but that would prove to be the final Cannon County lead of the game. DeKalb County closed out the game with a 22-16 edge in the fourth period, as the Tigers ended Cannon County's season, and set themselves up with a semi-final showdown with top-seeded Livingston Academy on Saturday.

Hunter Poteete also hit double-figures with 11 points for DeKalb County, who won their fifth consecutive ballgame, and improved to 17-10 overall on the season. Justin Davenport scored 21 points to lead Cannon County, who finished the season with a final mark of 11-17.

In other games on Friday, the third-seeded Smith County Owlettes eliminated the sixth-seeded Macon County Tigerettes, 48-36. Macon County put an end to the DeKalb County Lady Tigers' basketball season on Thursday.

The third-seeded Macon County Tigers, meanwhile, knocked off the sixth-seeded Smith County Owls, 64-59, and the fourth-seeded Cannon County Lionettes won a 61-60 thriller over the fifth-seeded York Institute Dragonettes.

Saturday's games will feature a girls' match-up between second-seeded Livingston Academy and third-seeded Smith County at 11:00 a.m. That game will be followed by a boys' match-up between second-seeded Upperman and third-seeded Macon County at 12:30 p.m. The third game of the day will pit the girls' top-seed, Upperman, against the number-four seed, Cannon County, at 2:00 p.m. The last game of the afternoon will be the fourth-seeded DeKalb County Tigers against the top-seeded Livingston Academy Wildcats at 3:30 p.m. WJLE plans live coverage of the Tigers-Wildcats game.

All games in the District 7-AA basketball tournament are being played at Hooper-Eblen Center at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville.

great game last night just like both games this year came down to the wire congrats to dekalb on a hard fought win... and to the lions great year and i believe we found us a coach to keep for a while

I agree! Two great teams with two very good Coaches that will teach our young players with fundamentals and most importantly good conduct on and off the court. That game was how to coach and play basketball! I have a feeling that next season will be even better for these two teams and our district!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I totally agree!!! Both coaches are really working with these young kids. They teach more than just basketball. Both coaches have class and integrity. Not like the Livingstons and Uppermans pressing with their starters while being up 28 points in the 4th quarter. One day DeKalb and Cannon will be the 2 top teams in the District and I hope the coaches for the the other 2 previously mentioned teams are still around to get back what they have been dishing out. Good luck to both programs in the upcoming years.

I totally agree!!! Both coaches are really working with these young kids. They teach more than just basketball. Both coaches have class and integrity. Not like the Livingstons and Uppermans pressing with their starters while being up 28 points in the 4th quarter. One day DeKalb and Cannon will be the 2 top teams in the District and I hope the coaches for the the other 2 previously mentioned teams are still around to get back what they have been dishing out. Good luck to both programs in the upcoming years.

It would be nice if you know what you're talking about before you decide to bad-mouth other coaches in the district.----- LA played everybody but the cheerleaders against your team and you still lost big!!---- It's nice that you're proud of your coach,--- but--- putting other coaches down because you were badly beaten by a superior team doesn't do anything to build up your coach or your basketball program. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />