TSSAA Needs to look at this

LeatherBalls

I would just like this question answered. Why do basketball coaches freak out if they have to play 3 games a week. Why do we have most weeks of a basketball season with only 2 games. Some weeks only have one! Why cant we play 3 games a week and shorten the 4 month season by a couple of weeks? Then most basketball/baseball players would get atleast 2 weeks of practice in. On top of that lets add two weeks to the baseball season on the back end. Still would have everything but state done by graduation and we would only be forced to play 4 games a week during the regular season instead of 5/6. Most weeks of the baseball season its hard to get a single practice in if there are any rainouts. But hold everything, it would be the end of the world if basketball had to play 3 games a week! What am I thinking!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once u reach High School you should have made your choice on what sport you want to play.. u can only get a scholarship in one so pic one and be the best you can be at it and dont complain about the seasons. They are how they are.

Only 1% of all high school athletes sign college scholarships across America. That may be the biggest problem right there. Everyone thinks they only play to go to college. How about the idea of playing sports to be apart of the high school experience and to continue the traditions of the school program? A kid can choose to play as many as they want. Not many out there are Corey Brewer. He is the exception to this. He quit a good, tradition-rich football program for dang good reasons................NBA was in his future.......not a dream like I would have, but he had fact. Kids need to worry about being kids that a part of a school first, then those college scholarship worthy will shake out. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I agree LeatherBalls. High school sports are designed to accentuate the high school experience. Players shouldn't have to pick a sport in high school. The stud athletes are stud athletes. Most DI prospects could get a scholarship in multiple sports.

I was just reading about two middle Tennessee boys that got picked to the UT all century team. Ronnie Hartsfield from Lawrenceburg was a football standout as well as a good baseball player.

Mike Smithson actually got a basketball scholarship to UT and the baseball coach saw him throwing after basketball was over and invited him to play a little baseball on basketballs dime. Got drafted and played 7 MLB seasons. Wonder what would have happened if he stuck with 'just basketball'.

In our county, none of the sports are 'paying the bills'. Booster clubs and parents are paying the bills. The county can't even come up with adequate supplements for the assistant coaches. I don't really see money being any more of an issue as it already is.

I agree LeatherBalls. High school sports are designed to accentuate the high school experience. Players shouldn't have to pick a sport in high school. The stud athletes are stud athletes. Most DI prospects could get a scholarship in multiple sports.

I was just reading about two middle Tennessee boys that got picked to the UT all century team. Ronnie Hartsfield from Lawrenceburg was a football standout as well as a good baseball player.

Mike Smithson actually got a basketball scholarship to UT and the baseball coach saw him throwing after basketball was over and invited him to play a little baseball on basketballs dime. Got drafted and played 7 MLB seasons. Wonder what would have happened if he stuck with 'just basketball'.

In our county, none of the sports are 'paying the bills'. Booster clubs and parents are paying the bills. The county can't even come up with adequate supplements for the assistant coaches. I don't really see money being any more of an issue as it already is.

Don't forget every Tennessee's favorite: Steve Spurier from Science Hill. He was all-state in football, basketball, and baseball.

The problem I have with ending basketball sooner is the weather. It is still pretty cool in East Tn. I would like to see the baseball season extended, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing it start a week or two later either, but there's a way for basketball to shorten their post season without really trying hard.

This year for instance:

Districts Feb 16-21

Regions Feb 23-28

State Mar 2-7

They should be done with basketball state 2 weeks before they are now.

Baseball runs 10 weeks

Mar 9-May16

Districts May 18-23

Regions May 25-30

State June 2-7

Play 1st round of districts, regions and state at higher seeds home, then move to a neutral site with 4 teams and play a tournament that seeds 1-4. At the state level, you just add one more day of games.

That may be so....but I'd rather watch a good baseball game any day of the week! I'm sure there are those who would disagree but that is just my reality!!!

I'm a baseball guy first and foremost. But I'm staring at a reality I don't like . . . high school sports associations across the nation (not all but many) just don't care a lot about the sport I love.

Just the thought of moving the softball season back a few weeks scares me to death!!! That would mean one or two less National Qualifiers we could go to with the summer team. High School ball is fun I guess, but it gets serious in the summer. We are already behind GA and a few other states that play softball in the Fall. They start "summer" ball in March and are in the grove when we go straight to our first tourney with girls tired from the state. As far as the girls who don't go to state playing sooner, over half our team played in the state tourney last year. Trust me, your not going to travel to NC, GA, etc, with half your team!!!!

I knew the conversation of pushing high school baseball/softball would not sit well well summer/travel team coaches. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Everything should get pushed back. Summer ball should go through september.. the weather is still great till mid October usually. TSSAA has most definitely favored basketball. Which is fine, but there is loads of baseball talent as well. Basketball NEVER has weather delays. I did just realize that the football playoffs run into basketball preseason too. It just seems like a lose lose, kids cant play multiple sports.

imagine how much it hurts that kid whise parents push himyo play multiple sports. thats burnout waiting to happen. there needs to be a bigger break between sports

The only problem I see with multiple sports is that everybody pushes the kid to quit one so that they can work out more on the others. I think if my son gave up one he would just work more on the other 2.