Jackson county football

dreambig

Several starters return led by All-Region linebacker from a year ago, Colby Fox. Fox is small in stature but has a huge heart and plays with the courage of a winner. He will lead a defense that should be much improved under the guidance of third year Defensive Coordinator Brandon Chaffin. Ethan Bean should anchor the defensive front and is perhaps the strongest player on the team. Bean works hard in the weight room and is expecting a more consistent senior season. The defensive secondary should again be led by cornerback Patrick Davis a junior to be with good speed and improving coverage.

Offensively, sophomore to be quarterback Jeret Goad took every snap of his freshman season and showed the signs of being a play maker a year ago. His lack of experience also showed at times, however he is a leader and has a drive to be successful. He could have a record setting career if he continues to improve and keeps a positive attitude. Expect to see Fox in the backfield more in '09 ,he was a seldom used fullback a year ago but his work ethic may make him a two way player this coming season.

Patrick Davis should bounce back from the inconsistencies of a year ago and improve on his yardage totals from the backfield. This year the offense will be adjusted to allow Davis to run more north-south and less east-west.

A good freshman class is coming in and Head Coach Loftis, who serves as Offensive Coordinator as well, has some of the basketball players and other 'hall walkers' interested in giving football a try. As I said earlier the athletes are in the school and if this staff can get them on the field the Blue Devils can be successful. There are other starters returning including Shawn Sprague- lineman, Cody Garrison- lineman, Chris Stafford-wide receiver/cornerback, Cory Hamby- cornerback, Mason Hensley- lineman , Justin Stewart- tight end, Josh Barlow- safety, among others. I will try to list them all soon.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a good story today from Lester McClain. Lester broke the color barrier in the University of Tennessee's football program in the '60's. He said he remembers like it was yesterday the first time he heard Coach (Doug) Dickey talk to the team. Coach Dickey said luck is when preparation meets opportunity which is a phrase we have all heard. But he said after saying that Dickey told a story.

The story was of a young boy who had very little and had grown up in a tough situation. The boy admired this older successful man and watched the older man's every move. One day he got the courage to approach this very successful older gentlemen and he asked the him, "Sir, you have been so successful in your life and have accomplished so much, what is your secret?"

The man said "Son, I just jump at every opportunity."

The boy thought for a few moments and then he said "But Sir how do you know when opportunity comes."

The old man said " Son, you just got to keep jumping."

So true in life, sometimes you have to just have to keep jumping.

Wk0 @ Houston Co

Wk1 Community

Wk2 @ Trousdale Co

Wk3 Open

Wk4 Friendship Christian

Wk5 @ Gordonsville

Wk6 Monterey

Wk7 Clay Co

Wk8 @ Red Boiling

Wk9 @ Pickett Co

Wk10 Watertown

Thnx buddy looks to be a good season for the devils /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thnx buddy looks to be a good season for the devils /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

i sure do hope so. They have what it takes if they want it bad enough. It will take alot of hard work, dedication,heart, tears, and sweat. If they do that program will be changed..

Learn how to spell losses retard

haha thats funny. I did not pay attention to that earlier. Good one deer4hunter /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

This team should be improved as many players return. The core group is working hard in the weight room. This program desperately needs more players. The school has enough quality athletes to compete but the self discipline, desire and pride has been slow to come around over the previous seasons. Coach Loftis will do a great job leading this program and its time for the community to buy into it and the players to start to believe with one of their own heading it up. I see the potential but it's hard to convince the players the potential is there. They don't understand running when you are tired, playing thorugh fatigue, and pushing that extra little bit makes a difference in the fall. Perhaps they are learning. I hope so. The team needs to be more self motivating and I do not mean that as an indictment of the team it's just an honest assessment. It will be a process but I see this team with a chance to compete in '09.

As a coach sometimes you have to look at where you are and what goals are attainable. I liken it to a game of monopoly, if you take over for someone with hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place you have a better chance at a quick fix than if you only have houses on Baltic and Mediterrean. So I have a suggestion, avoid the luxury tax, take a ride on the Reading and always keep a Get Out Of Jail Free card handy.

What does it mean? Set a goal and work for it, don't take short cuts, and remember "Be a good teammate, have fun, and give God the glory." If you approach everyday with that in mind the wins will take care of themselves.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />