Coach of the year in 1A Basketball

MTiger

No way Manassas's coach gets coach of the year. He took a AA team and won Class A with it and did so by recruiting players in from other areas. All he did was basically recruit an AAU team in and win a championship. if he had come from a rural school, that was a legitimate Class A school and done the same with kids that were already in the system that would be different. Sorry he was an very average coach with alot of talent thats all.

name a player on this Manassas team that played at another High school last year???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken a school near them SHUT down and they got the majority of students from there....yeah they purposely CLOSED an entire school so Manassas could get all the students /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I have to add to this comment. Manassas had to hear this stuff in football, too. First, Westside High School was shut down 2 years ago. The majority of those students went to Trezvant and Frayser. In football, Manassas had 2 former Westside players on last year's team and none on this year's. The basketball team had three from last year's and none on this year's team. So, you can argue that the school being shut down did help the basketball team last year, but it had no effect this year on basketball, and very little effect either year in football. Also, the freshman class at Manassas is larger than the Sophomore, junior, and senior classses all combined. It is very true that enrollment has doubled, but it is all in the freshman class. This might help in a copule of years, but for this year's football team, no freshman started and only three lettered. On the basketball team, I don't think any even played - ever, so the enrollment being AA arguement holds NO WATER. Lastly, the recruiting talk is ridiculous. The only recruiting that goes on at Manassas is to keep kids from the neighborhood in the neighborhood school. MUS, Briarcrest, Harding, CBHS, and most of the other wealthy private schools try to stink the life out of the inner city talent pool. Manassas and many other inner city Memphis schools have to fight this every year. And to say that the coaches at Manassas recruit is absurd. What do they have to offer? How would you sell going to school in one of the most impoverished areas in the country. How do you sell a lack of funding? How do you sell smaller fan bases and crowds because the $5 to get into a game is too big of a financial stretch for most and the cost of going to an away game, especially an overnight thing like the state tournament, is completely out of the question? How do you sell walking through a metal detector every morning? What exactly would the coaches recruit to? I appreciate that rumors run rampant, but the facts are the facts and to say that Manassas has excelled the last couple of years because old schools consolidating, increased enrollment, and recruiting all over the city is just wrong. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches are doing a very good job in a very trying atmosphere and the kids are responding. Maybe an inner city school has people trying to get it right for a change, and maybe folks aren't very used to seeing that so they come up with a bunch of reasons other than the truth, which is that the kids and coaches at Manassas have simply worked hard to be better.

I have to add to this comment. Manassas had to hear this stuff in football, too. First, Westside High School was shut down 2 years ago. The majority of those students went to Trezvant and Frayser. In football, Manassas had 2 former Westside players on last year's team and none on this year's. The basketball team had three from last year's and none on this year's team. So, you can argue that the school being shut down did help the basketball team last year, but it had no effect this year on basketball, and very little effect either year in football. Also, the freshman class at Manassas is larger than the Sophomore, junior, and senior classses all combined. It is very true that enrollment has doubled, but it is all in the freshman class. This might help in a copule of years, but for this year's football team, no freshman started and only three lettered. On the basketball team, I don't think any even played - ever, so the enrollment being AA arguement holds NO WATER. Lastly, the recruiting talk is ridiculous. The only recruiting that goes on at Manassas is to keep kids from the neighborhood in the neighborhood school. MUS, Briarcrest, Harding, CBHS, and most of the other wealthy private schools try to stink the life out of the inner city talent pool. Manassas and many other inner city Memphis schools have to fight this every year. And to say that the coaches at Manassas recruit is absurd. What do they have to offer? How would you sell going to school in one of the most impoverished areas in the country. How do you sell a lack of funding? How do you sell smaller fan bases and crowds because the $5 to get into a game is too big of a financial stretch for most and the cost of going to an away game, especially an overnight thing like the state tournament, is completely out of the question? How do you sell walking through a metal detector every morning? What exactly would the coaches recruit to? I appreciate that rumors run rampant, but the facts are the facts and to say that Manassas has excelled the last couple of years because old schools consolidating, increased enrollment, and recruiting all over the city is just wrong. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches are doing a very good job in a very trying atmosphere and the kids are responding. Maybe an inner city school has people trying to get it right for a change, and maybe folks aren't very used to seeing that so they come up with a bunch of reasons other than the truth, which is that the kids and coaches at Manassas have simply worked hard to be better.

Maybe the other poster will read this and gain some knowledge.

He won a gold ball and I don't fault him for that, but giving him the coach of the year because they won the gold ball with the best talent should not be done. Its a different coaching job than all the rest, but when you get to Xs and Os and watching the teams paly any coach or non-biased fan would tell you, this team lacked fundamentals and team strategy that others in the tournament displayed. They were very fortunate to have a shaq like player in the middle... I can think of much better coaches in 1A, but not many who face the same challenges as does the Man coach

By the way....my post was made to be sarcastic to the other poster /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

He won a gold ball and I don't fault him for that, but giving him the coach of the year because they won the gold ball with the best talent should not be done. Its a different coaching job than all the rest, but when you get to Xs and Os and watching the teams paly any coach or non-biased fan would tell you, this team lacked fundamentals and team strategy that others in the tournament displayed. They were very fortunate to have a shaq like player in the middle... I can think of much better coaches in 1A, but not many who face the same challenges as does the Man coach

I like the part that i underlined. You must be joking man? I f this team lack all of what you are saying then what do that say about all of the other teams that they beat to win that gold ball. Think before you speak the next time.

Funny to me, I was there for the entire first round of tournaments...I thought that he was the second WORSE coach I saw the entire day....right behind Humbolts... He had no strategy to break a press, and without readjusting he continued the same strategy....the only props I give him is chasing his palyers down after the game and getting them to shake HB hands.... You take his talent in any of the other 1A coaches and they win that game by 20....

Also reggie was in the top seven players from last years team...So claiming they lost there top even players is a joke...

Maybe this will shut up your mouth and other about what he brought back from last year's team.

Last season Manassas Starters lost

Willie Payne

Derrick Richards

Eric Atkins

Roy McFadgon

Key bench players lost

Sean Kearney

Anthony Dorsey

Adrew Jefferies

Cortez Johnson

Coshun Odom

Travis Calhoun

All players but 2 received scholarships

Manassas had only 4 players on this 2009 team that dressed at state last year!

Reggie Buckner

Marcus Holloway

Shaq Walker

Kindall Woodard

All the other players from this 2009 team were on JV last season!!!

Coach Gerald Harris COY!!!