Melrose at Raleigh Egypt ...... Liberty at White Station

TraderB

Umm, Firestone, from what Coach Adams told me Bob Jones High School won State three years in a row!!! That would be a good loss. In another words, you would accept it because they were a very successful team in the past. Plus it was a tournament so there wasn't much time to prepare for them and they still barely lost.

No loss is a "good" loss. Still, My desire is to say Memphis basketball is the best. There was a time just a few years ago when you had teams here that were average in their district go out of town over Christmas and win tournaments. Now it seems like our best our running into some trouble. Bob Jones winning 3 in a row doesn't mean they have that same level team THIS year. Because THIS year, Bob Jones has over 10 losses, including losing to Butler all three times and they had three very close calls against Florence. You seem like you know a little basketball, so You should know that a State championship in one area may not stack up against the same award in a different state. Madison Academy is also a 3-time defending champ in Alabama, and they only beat Florence by 1 point this year. And Florence has won something like 10 games total in the last 3 years. So how much does that mean? By the way, I was wondering did Egypt meet Oxford in that tournament? I know they were there. I met the Oxford point guard after their game with H.W. Byers, and he thought I was Jeremy Holmes, LOL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I just looked after I asked that question. I saw that they did meet up and Raleigh-Egypt beat em by 5. That's a neutral site. Manassas beat Oxford by 14, at Oxford High School. You shoulda been there, very intense game, alot of diving on the floor. Manassas makes it UGLY. But you gotta appreciate it. They were missing the football player, Dan Hicks, big #32. They spread the floor better without him, but they could've used him on the block against Woodard down there. I was looking forward to that match-up. He also missed the Briarcrest game. In the fourth quarter, the athletic guy they had #4 Brandon Blake sat down for a moment. And as soon as he did, Manassas quickly put them away. I'm sure when they played Egypt, Anthony Jones was matched up with him. How did that go?

What happened with RE MELROSE

Congrats to the Pharohs, Coach Adams & their fans.

To Melrose, thx for reviving a once proud & dominant program, but you still have a long way to go before you reach greatness.

What I saw last night from start to finish (from players & coaches) seemed PERSONAL! R/E didn't want to just beat Melrose, they wanted to HUMILIATE both the team & JJ.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

From the start Chris Jones never ajusted to the hand checks & other physical play by Pooh Man result, ref heard Chris (well being Chris)

Result--Tech

Flashback: 2 wks ago AJ & Pooh Man got techs in the opening mins of the city championship. Adams took them out to cool them down put them back in & you know the rest.

JJ on the other hand keeps who is w/out doubt his best offensive player out of the entire 1st qtr.

Result 10-0; 15-5; 20-5; 24-7

JJ's sub pattern was awful in addition to his refusal to dump the dribble drive motion offense and man defense also sealed their fate

Why wouldn't JJ try a 3-2 zone with Nino & Nate on the back and Chris Jones, Adonis & Chris Mason or Holliman contesting the wings? How many times did we see his guards (all of them) guard out by half court only to get beaten off the dribble for either a open three, a midrange jumper, a dish into the post for an easy layup or dunk attempt.

JJ's love affair with Coach Cals offense & defense got his butt kicked last night along with the pressure cooker atmosphere inside R/E which obviously an environment JJ or his team was EVER ready for.

Both JJ & Applewhite better take this season as learning lessons. If Adams could have beaten you by 50 he would have and I guarantee you he would sleep well that night. Did you not realize that he kept his starters in the game until the end and ran his weave to perfection against a beaten team & staff. The dunk & the final 3 says it all

GAME WAS PERSONAL FOR R/E PLAIN & SIMPLE

We had a lot of Problems toward the end of the season. 1. We too guard Oriented. Dribble way too much. Only in the region did we start going to the post. At one point early in the preseason I was seriously thinking about taking Nate back to hamilton because of lack of post play. we take way too many jump shots and miss and the other team running back in our face. 2. defensive adjustments. when the press was not working why not fall back and play straight defense. RE ran right by us for easy shots time and time again. 3 Running got us where we were but in our losses other than RE we played to the other team strengths. Against RE Nate told me he thought some of the players was scared and they played that way. When we got tank with 2 quick fouls we did not take advantage of it. Not getting out in the corners for the 3 and the Technical foul set the stage for a serious blow out. The kids must work harder this summer to get more basketball smarts. We only lost 3 seniors. We got a good core coming back next year so there will be no excuses. Thomas, Jones, Hollimon, Telvin, Nino, Nate, Lowe and a couple very good 9th graders. Coach JJ need to take a look in the mirror and take the blame for not adjusting. But if we dont use the post game and just be a guard team, we will have this same conversation this time next year. Congrats to RE and im pulling for them to bring the big ball back to memphis.