Triple overtime thriller at Oliver Springs

Guest iamoz

Guest iamoz

Kayla Christopher scored the go-ahead bucket with 4.9 seconds to go in the third overtime and Kelsey Hall stole the ball at the top of the key on Cloudland's ensuing possession to secure the win.

For Oliver Springs... Christopher 22, Hall 12, Ollis 6, Harper 5, Bilyeu 3, Lively 2, Raby 1

For Cloudland... B. Johnson 22, Buchanan 9, McKinney 8, Hughes 6, Miller 2, Reece 2

38-38 at the end of regulation

43-43 at the end of OT1

47-47 at the end of OT2

51-49 at the end of OT3

I am sure Cloudland's great senior class is disappointed, but they have had outstanding careers and have represented Cloudland well with grace, skill, and class. I believe four of the seniors are co-valedictorians of their graduating class. They came up a little short of their goal, but can hold their heads high. Oliver Springs is a tough place to get a win. Pushing the game to three overtimes speaks to the quality of this Cloudland team. Congratulations to Oliver Springs and no regrets for Cloudland; you went down swinging. Good luck to Brooke Johnson as she takes her game to King College next year. I have enjoyed watching you lead the Lady Landers for four years.

I am sure Cloudland's great senior class is disappointed, but they have had outstanding careers and have represented Cloudland well with grace, skill, and class. I believe four of the seniors are co-valedictorians of their graduating class. They came up a little short of their goal, but can hold their heads high. Oliver Springs is a tough place to get a win. Pushing the game to three overtimes speaks to the quality of this Cloudland team. Congratulations to Oliver Springs and no regrets for Cloudland; you went down swinging. Good luck to Brooke Johnson as she takes her game to King College next year. I have enjoyed watching you lead the Lady Landers for four years.

Thank you coachh

Oliver Springs nailed six threes in the first half; three of those by Kayla Christopher.

And when it rains it pours: Oz, who banked in that long three? Ouch!

Kelsey Hall was very steady. Without her, it's difficult to see how Oliver Springs wins the game.

Would've loved to see the ball launched in Jordi Miller's direction on the game's last possession; however, four-point-nine is just that - - Four-Point-Nine. Almost impossible to go full-court against what (I think) was a two-two-one zone press), find the open player, and get a good shot off.

So many close calls, hits and misses. The Lady Cats ran a beatiful, under-the-basket curl, but the open layup was missed as regulation expired. And the pressure continued to build.

In the first overtime, Lady Cats trailed by one, missed, then fouled Shellie McKinney, who hit two free-throws, giving Cloudland a three-point lead at :12. The Lady Cats answered. They needed, and got, a near-thirty footer, at 4.0 seconds, by Christopher, to force the second overtime.

A couple crucial turnovers down the stretch, but still the Lady Highlanders had their chances. However, ultimately, Kayla Christopher hit a few huge shots, whereas, if she misses... Cloudland wins, plain and simple. It was like that.

Oliver Springs nailed six threes in the first half; three of those by Kayla Christopher.

Kelsey Hall was very steady. Without her, it's difficult to see how Oliver Springs wins the game.

Would've loved to see the ball launched in Jordi Miller's direction on the game's last possession; however, four-point-nine is just that - - Four-Point-Nine. Almost impossible to go full-court against what (I think) was a two-two-one zone press), find the open player, and get a good shot off.

So many close calls, hits and misses. The Lady Cats ran a beatiful, under-the-basket curl, but the open layup was missed as regulation expired. And the pressure continued to build.

In the first overtime, Lady Cats trailed by one, missed, then fouled Shellie McKinney, who hit two free-throws, giving Cloudland a three-point lead at :12. The Lady Cats answered. They needed, and got, a near-thirty footer, at 4.0 seconds, by Christopher, to force the second overtime.

A couple crucial turnovers down the stretch, but still the Lady Highlanders had their chances. However, ultimately, Kayla Christopher hit a few huge shots, whereas, if she misses... Cloudland wins, plain and simple. It was like that.

I think that what a Miss Basketball Candidate is supposed to do isn't it? Congrats to a fantastic OZ group. If you looked at the tape there were crucial times that different players made some huge plays when OZ needed it. It was a team effort and was a great game. Unfortunately some one lost. Opposition was great. I think that the Cloudland team that showed up last night was a State Contender. They had huge hearts to win and played very hard. Kudos to them and their coach. Very well done!!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I also think this proves just how tough our Tri-County seven is. Elizabethton, Cloudland, and Hampton were real close. Hampton may very well win the state tournament. Its been a long time since I've seen a team play defense as hard as this Hampton team does.