Memphis Central -vs- Tennessee

sportsczar

Box Score for the game

The stats were pretty even other than the score. Central has probably the best defense in the state. I'd to see a team that defends better. What i can't understand though from the stats is that I just assumed that Tennessee cut the lead because Central cleared their bench in the 4th quarter. Turns out, Taylor, Burgess, and Whiteside each played 28 minutes(more than ANY player for Tennessee) and Ballard, for some reason, played EVERY MINUTE OF THE GAME. James played 13 minutes and only 2 other players got in. I made an earlier comment that Central has no bench. Well, it seems like I might be more correct than I even thought. Tennessee had 6 players off the bench and 4 of them played double-digit minutes. Coach Bray better rest these girls. You can't do that 3 days in a row, especially if that 3rd day is against a team good enough to make it to the finals. This team can win it all. But that is something that can definitely mess it up. But then again, What am I saying? Teenagers shouldn't get tired anyway /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Memphis-Central, 2009 AAA State Champions

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Box Score for the game

The stats were pretty even other than the score. Central has probably the best defense in the state. I'd to see a team that defends better. What i can't understand though from the stats is that I just assumed that Tennessee cut the lead because Central cleared their bench in the 4th quarter. Turns out, Taylor, Burgess, and Whiteside each played 28 minutes(more than ANY player for Tennessee) and Ballard, for some reason, played EVERY MINUTE OF THE GAME. James played 13 minutes and only 2 other players got in. I made an earlier comment that Central has no bench. Well, it seems like I might be more correct than I even thought. Tennessee had 6 players off the bench and 4 of them played double-digit minutes. Coach Bray better rest these girls. You can't do that 3 days in a row, especially if that 3rd day is against a team good enough to make it to the finals. This team can win it all. But that is something that can definitely mess it up. But then again, What am I saying? Teenagers shouldn't get tired anyway /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You did mention the depth or lack thereof, and I took exception to what at the time I considered negative comments. I am glad you jumped on the bandwagon.

Go Central,,,,Go Overton... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Box Score for the game

I had a chance to have dinner with the coachs and players Wednesday night. A really humble and well behaved group of young adults who have total confidence in the coaching staff. And the only time the conversation strayed from the upcoming game (coaching staff) was if there was a mearloaf sandwich on the menu!!

Goodluck and thanks for allowing atwsportscast to be a part of your championship run.

Central rotation was as follows:

5 players 28+ minutes (one player 32 minutes)

1 other player played 13 minutes

2 players played 3 minutes 6 minutes.

Which brings me back to what I have said over the past ???umpteen??? years. When games get really tough ??“ teams will reduce their rotation to 7 or 8. PERIOD!!!!!

Ideally: one guard off the bench, one post off the bench and one wing. However, realistically you won??™t have all three spots covered so one of those bench positions may be fielded by one player who can play multiple positions (example: a guard may come off the bench and play the forward position as well).

A team is can easily win three high school games in a row with a 7 player rotation. Heck: the games are only 32 minutes WITHOUT a shot clock.

Additionally: the two players who played 3 and 6 minutes served their purpose. They are just as important and vital as any member of the team. Those player??™s roles are (more than likely) to come in and provide a breather for the starters and to MAINTAIN the teams current position in the game. Those two players don??™t have to come in and light up the scoreboard (that would be a bonus). They just have to hold serve until the starters get a rest and return fresh.

Which brings me back to what I have said over the past ???umpteen??? years. When games get really tough ??“ teams will reduce their rotation to 7 or 8. PERIOD!!!!!

Ideally: one guard off the bench, one post off the bench and one wing. However, realistically you won??™t have all three spots covered so one of those bench positions may be fielded by one player who can play multiple positions (example: a guard may come off the bench and play the forward position as well).

A team is can easily win three high school games in a row with a 7 player rotation. Heck: the games are only 32 minutes WITHOUT a shot clock.

Additionally: the two players who played 3 and 6 minutes served their purpose. They are just as important and vital as any member of the team. Those player??™s roles are (more than likely) to come in and provide a breather for the starters and to MAINTAIN the teams current position in the game. Those two players don??™t have to come in and light up the scoreboard (that would be a bonus). They just have to hold serve until the starters get a rest and return fresh.

Couldn't of said it better............

Get ya /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Again I say, Tennessee did not reduce their rotation as such. And Central hasn't JUST started doing this when the "games get tough". They even do this with 25- and 30-POINT LEADS!!!!!!!!!! Against Mcgavock, the starters played EVEN LONGER WITH LESS COMING OFF THE BENCH and they were up 57-26 at one point. What's up with that? How can you risk injury with a 31-point 4th quarter lead? That's not a very smart coach. I repeat, they were the ONLY team that was THAT stingy with their rotation.

As far as those players that did get off the bench. Look, this is high school. When you're in the NBA, you can say, "he serves his role giving the starter a break". But, people, this is HIGH SCHOOL. If you get minutes, you're supposed to be out there with something to contribute of your own(whatever it is and however much of it) outside of giving the starter a break, just buying time.

I promise, there are times when you all really just try TOO HARD to seem like you know something.

Central did a great job taking charge and winning the game, but as someone pointed out they have been to the show before. The THS Lady Vikings have never in the history of the school made this trip, so to my way of thinking they deserve respect they have earned it! they have 8 seniors that have played together since 7th grade they are family and have bonded with the under-classmen and they have all played well together those 8 Lady Vikings now have something one one will ever take from them the first trip to State. Good job ,Sarah Baker, Erica Grinnell, Susan Graham,Ashton Keen,Danielle Montgomery,Cheyenne Thornsberry,Elizabeth Vance and Sara Wysor thank you ladies for a ride we will never forget. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />