Greeneville's Head Coach Resigns

RyanD22

This sounds more like a clash of enormous egos. I agree, noone is gonna touch this coaching position when the principal has shown a pattern of blatant disregard for the athletic department. Take the suspension of the entire girls bball team along with 2 boys on the eve of the district tournaments and couple it with this incident that obviously got way out of hand and there's nothing Kent and Scott can offer that would reel in a top prospect. I just hope she gets a bit more tactful in her staff management techniques before we lose more valuable members our coaching staff.

Of course I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in this one and seen the look on Strouds face when she realized she just ran off the power-brokers "golden boy"....had to be an "oh crap" moment....no way she saw it coming.

I somewhat agree, however, if she is trying to get across the point that athletes and athletics don't have priority, and will be held to the same rules as the "regular" students, kudos to her. The downside is that innocent teammates pay the price, but the sooner that the kids learn that the administration rules the school, the better off they will be.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I somewhat agree, however, if she is trying to get across the point that athletes and athletics takes priority, and are not held to the same rules as the "regular" students, kudos to her. The downside is that innocent teammates pay the price, but the sooner that the kids learn that the administration rules the school, the better off they will be.

I don't really believe if a fight between 2 students happened in , say, a classroom, she would suspend the entire class for watching. I think it is just as inherently wrong to single out athletes for punishment to set an "example".

I think the only point she's trying to make with Mac is that SHE is the boss and what SHE says goes...not the best personnel management style for anyone, much less a supposed role model for our kids. Someone should explain to her when the administration(school board) hires a high school coach, there's a little more involved than how they teach....lets face it, coaches like Mac and Billy D aren't hired for their teaching skills.She however,is expected to have a grasp of the basic principles of staff management. Someday perhaps we can actually pay a coach to just coach and confine the personality conflicts to the locker room.

Athletes are singled out. That is undenialbe; however, I believe that the mission satement of the Greeneville City School system should be changed from "To educate all students to be successful in a global society by providing excellence in educators, programs, and environment" to "To sabotage one team at a time."

Then perhaps we can have that sign on the edge of town that says " Home of the award winning Greeneville High Chorus"...

I'm just curious as to why the students in those programs considered "art" are not held to the same standards as the athletes and just to clarify that is not intended as belittlement towards students that participate in those programs.

I don't think the standards are any different but the publicity sure is. I would love it if the Sun would give a half page on saturday morning to the chorus festival or band competition instead of a 3 inch column in the living section on thursday. When an athlete breaks the rules its newsworthy...noone really cares if the tuba player gets suspended or a couple of sopranos get in a fight...except maybe their parents.

She needs to sit down with this coach and have a talk, just because he is having success and looking out for his team does not mean he is trying to undermind her athourity. She needs to learn that his success is not possible without support from the top. End result kids suffer. They loose. Work it out.

Well I would say that he is gone now and he was recieving alot of money in ga. and other states this amount is normal. Around here its just not heard of yet. I really hope that they look at the current coaches say coach ballard and give him his shot to coach this team he has been here for about 10yrs now. I don't think he would care too much about the big bucks and he would make a great coach. Its sad too see him go but its greeneville and when u have DR. in front of your name your special. Although as i recall when hollowell was there he took care of suspensions and all the fights and things like this. I think stroud is just trying to put her hands in too many places where it doesn't belong.

Well I would say that he is gone now and he was recieving alot of money in ga. and other states this amount is normal. Around here its just not heard of yet. I really hope that they look at the current coaches say coach ballard and give him his shot to coach this team he has been here for about 10yrs now. I don't think he would care too much about the big bucks and he would make a great coach. Its sad too see him go but its greeneville and when u have DR. in front of your name your special. Although as i recall when hollowell was there he took care of suspensions and all the fights and things like this. I think stroud is just trying to put her hands in too many places where it doesn't belong.

If that is the case give Zeller a call. Kiss and make up.

Typical G-Vegas snake pit... I heard about the resignation and I figured it came from the top over some power struggles or some politics. If they (whoever it may be, school board, director of schools, etc..) had the stones to ask for a paycut, I do not understand why the director of schools could take one. Greeneville has lost a lot of good people due to "budget cuts"... Sorry, but Coach Mac produced and took Greeneville to the top, so he deserves whatever the agreement was to pay him. From the recent news of this Stroud principal, sounds like she is not messing around. I wish she was in charge back in the early part of the decade when positive drug tests were swept under the rug and kids were bringing guns and weapons to school. Good luck Devils, you just ran off another good one and you will be scrambling to get someone in by spring practice. The kids and parents are the victims for having this dropped on them at this time.

Best of luck to Coach Mac!

The 800 pound elephant in the room is when you have to start sentences with "she" in reference to someone overseeing the football program, you're dead. Take a tour of the power programs in the southeast and you won't find women running them. That will offend some of the liberals out there but it's a fact. Football has always been the super power at schools with great High School athletic programs. I've seen very few where a woman headed it up and could resist letting football be the "straw that stirs the drink." It always comes down to gender equity and not wanting to offend the rest of the faculty. I hate it for Greeneville. You might as well post a giant billboard that reads, "we want to be good, but we don't want to be a super power." People that really understand HS football success know that when the football program is steam rolling, the money is the rising tide that lifts all boats. What a shame.

Typical G-Vegas snake pit... I heard about the resignation and I figured it came from the top over some power struggles or some politics. If they (whoever it may be, school board, director of schools, etc..) had the stones to ask for a paycut, I do not understand why the director of schools could take one. Greeneville has lost a lot of good people due to "budget cuts"... Sorry, but Coach Mac produced and took Greeneville to the top, so he deserves whatever the agreement was to pay him. From the recent news of this Stroud principal, sounds like she is not messing around. I wish she was in charge back in the early part of the decade when positive drug tests were swept under the rug and kids were bringing guns and weapons to school. Good luck Devils, you just ran off another good one and you will be scrambling to get someone in by spring practice. The kids and parents are the victims for having this dropped on them at this time.

Best of luck to Coach Mac!

The 800 pound elephant in the room is when you have to start sentences with "she" in reference to someone overseeing the football program, you're dead. Take a tour of the power programs in the southeast and you won't find women running them. That will offend some of the liberals out there but it's a fact. Football has always been the super power at schools with great High School athletic programs. I've seen very few where a woman headed it up and could resist letting football be the "straw that stirs the drink." It always comes down to gender equity and not wanting to offend the rest of the faculty. I hate it for Greeneville. You might as well post a giant billboard that reads, "we want to be good, but we don't want to be a super power." People that really understand HS football success know that when the football program is steam rolling, the money is the rising tide that lifts all boats. What a shame.

You wouldn't necessarily have to be a liberal to be offended by that statement, just a woman....and as a conservative woman I am more offended by being called an 800 lb elephant. I guess you have to be a man to be called a 400 lb gorilla /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> That being said, its true that as professional educators, women are more academic -leaning in their core values and often fail to see the value of HS athletics to the overall success of the school. The problem here is a woman who seems to be somewhat insecure in her role as staff supervisor and not accustomed to situations where her authority is challenged...at least by someone older than 16. As far as other teachers having hard feelings about his supplement, well I bet none of them would put in the hours he does for what they are paid by the system.