Quick Midstate (Tompkins Farm) recap

Guest kenwoodrun

Guest kenwoodrun

Just got home...

Very hilly, very hot.

WEST GIRLS:

Kenwood 51, J. Paul II 112, Zion Christian 122, Cookeville 131, Franklin Co. 131, etc....

Individual Winner: Nettie Halcomb, Lincoln Co. 21:04

EAST GIRLS:

BA 29, Oakland 95, Clarksville 198, Beech 200, Macon County 218, etc....

Individual Winner: BA's top girl

WEST BOYS:

Tullahoma 43, Cookeville 64, Kenwood 66, BGA 116, Hendersonville 155, etc...(18 teams)

Individual Winner: Antonio Diaz, Kenwood, 17:23

EAST BOYS:

BA ???, Oakland 97, Rossview 108, Beech 149, Clarksville 161, etc...(21 teams)

Individual Winner: Bumbalaugh(I think?), BA, 17:18ish?

Tonto...

Found out we are better than we thought on the boys side...gave Cookeville a push in the team race. Don't know if they were 100% or not. Biggest surprise was our own Antonio Diaz pulling off the upset in the west and winning in 17:23. That's not bad for early September on that course. Cookeville's top guy was right on his butt in 17:25, then Tullahoma in 17:26. SO it was a nice kick. Cookeville had two more guys right there, at 18:37 and 18:45ush, and then they fell off a little bit. Tullahoma was quite strong up front. Hendersonville and Beech look off their game as compared to last year. Rossview's boys were pretty impressive, going 3-4 overall in the east race. I'm only assuming that BA was not running their full team, or they ran through the meet, or something.

The division thing didn't work out so well on the girls. Only EIGHT full teams showed up for our division in the girls, so we weren't really pushed at all. We are nowhere NEAR good enough to score 50 points in a meet like this, so the divisions weren't so balanced in the girls race. They were slightly more even for the guys. I like the idea, but it may need some work. Hot as hades out there today.

More later, gotta get some work done!

Finley

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peacemaker, Bumbi is a phenom plain and simple. 17:20 in one of the first races of the year is not to shabby. Besides, last year as a freshman, Bumbi ran 16:07 at state in CC, and in the spring ran an unbelievable 3200 in 9:39 to finish 2nd at state. Anyways, having two freshmen in the low 16's this early in the season is incredible and I can't wait to see them run soon.

Guest kenwoodrun

For you Chattanooga area folks, you may not have any conception of what Tompkins Farm is like. Those who have run it (statewide) agree that there is no course that is more difficult than this. It's been estimated (by a number of folks) that this course is 1:15+ SLOWER than the steeplechase for guys. So Bumbalaugh's 17:20 translates to roughly a 16 flat on the steeplechase. And that's in oppressive early September heat. This young guy is a huge talent, there is no question about it. He ripped off a 9:45 2 mile on our track in the spring and then sat down in a chair and conversed with the guy next to him. Polley ran a low 17 to win preconference last year, and he can attest to the toughness of the course. Still, I wonder if BA was running through the meet or at half strength the other day (I expected more)???

So I guess that means my boy Diaz's 17:23 to win the west wasn't so bad either :)

Posted by kenwoodrun:

For you Chattanooga area folks, you may not have any conception of what Tompkins Farm is like. Those who have run it (statewide) agree that there is no course that is more difficult than this. It's been estimated (by a number of folks) that this course is 1:15+ SLOWER than the steeplechase for guys. So Bumbalaugh's 17:20 translates to roughly a 16 flat on the steeplechase. And that's in oppressive early September heat. This young guy is a huge talent, there is no question about it. He ripped off a 9:45 2 mile on our track in the spring and then sat down in a chair and conversed with the guy next to him. Polley ran a low 17 to win preconference last year, and he can attest to the toughness of the course. Still, I wonder if BA was running through the meet or at half strength the other day (I expected more)???

So I guess that means my boy Diaz's 17:23 to win the west wasn't so bad either ;)

My Apologies- didn't realize the difficulty of the course, or his past record-If you say he is a phenom- then he is a phenom- what do I know? All I heard was a sophomore in 17:20's and not knowing background history on the course or the runner, it just didn't sound "too phenomenal" to me- but since your explanation- I'll take your word for it!Certainly no offense intended- now a 16 flat does sound phenomenal!!! Hope that is where our "freshman" can be by next year at state!For now low 17's is fine, but even by state this year I would certainly hope for a 16:30 or under!

bumbalough is undoubtedly a phenom. he is unbelievable. he has never run a 3200 over 10 min. his first one ever was 9:59. he never ran a 9:45 but definitely would have. at the kenwood inv. he was a rabbit for me and dropped out after 6 laps. unfortuantely i got seriously ill the night before and was up all night throwing up which led to my DNF and ultimately the demise of my season...never did recover from it. but had bumbi continued, he would have run close to 9:40. anyway, this kid could be the best runner tennessee has ever seen. last year i ran 17:10 i think at preconference and ended up at 16:16 at the end of the year. with kenwoodrun's estimated 75 second conversion that would put me at 15:00 steeplechase shape, which i definitely think i was. seeing how close bumbi was to my time, that sets him up to run pretty low 15's, which i think he will. i'm just glad we've gotten to be such good friends. hes the closest thing to a little brother i know. and as good a runner he is, he is a much cooler person. very nice, humble, etc. oh, and by the way, bumbi ran 9:38 at state.

[Edited by BPolley on 9-8-02 2:54P]

Wow, I'm really impressed with Tullahoma's showing. I was just wondering what would've happened had BA and Tullahoma gone head-to-head (since they were the two champions). Comparatively, by times last Thursday, Tullahoma would've won a dual meet with BA 26-29. Now no BA people get mad, I'm sure yall weren't running everything for a midstate race, but still, for a team like Tullahoma, that's really impressive. Furthermore, for those who would be more impressed this way (I know I am), using last year's preconference times for BA, Tullahoma 2002 wouldve beaten BA 2001 by a score of 27-28. Once again, I'm sure BA was just running enough to get their trophy that day, but still, for a young team like Tullahoma, I'm very impressed.

A lot of Tullahoma's guys are sophomores and juniors...I see some real promise when they stack up against teams like last year's squad from BA.

Guest kenwoodrun

Tullahoma is tough when you look at how closely spaced those 2-3-4 guys were. They came on pretty well at state last year and came back on Oakland, after they had lost to Oakland at their regional. It would seem that Tullahoma, Cookeville, and Oakland are the boys qualifiers for state in 2002 out of the Murfreesboro area region again...I don't see anybody bumping those 3 out. The interesting mix is up in our region...when Hendersonville, Beech, and Lavergne made it last year...it's possible (not likely, but conceivable) that NONE of those 3 teams will get back this year based on last week's race...even though I see Beech getting back. BA should be $$$ when the conference championship rolls around, but Tullyhomer looks good for the runner-up spot...due to the fact I think that awesome 2-3-4 pack will all improve at the same rate. Is that what you expected out of Cookeville?

honestly, i expected a W from my boys, but once i analyzed how well tullahoma really did, i dont guess i can be disappointed with a two, but they have some improvement to do to get back to where we were last year...they desperately need a #5 to step up. and 2-4 definitely need to pick it up and pack a little ways behind birdwell. i cant be mad about second to a team that wouldve won last year's preconference against that TOUGH BA team. another scary thing about tullahoma is that their #2 guy from thursday will probably be their #1 by the end of the year meaning theyll have another guy like the #1 they have now. that's scary. they have serious potential for later in the season. yeah, region 5 should be intersting come qualifying time...yall look to have a good chance.

Well, I finally saw for myself today-Live and in person- and yes I NOW defnitely agree that BUMBALOUGH is a "phenom" He is a teriffic and talented runner, and only a sophomore. I was VERY impressed.He ran the 5k course at the UTC Invitational in 16:33 to take first place!

18 Teams were present and some pretty stiff competition!

Taylor took 4th from BC with a 17:04

McCallie took 1st place as a team for the boys, and Kennesaw Girls took 1st place as a team.

Another phenom I would defnitely look for at state is Shelly Taylor from North West Whitfield- she is only a freshman and took first in the 5k today in a time of 19:04!Last week at Camp Jordan she also took 1st with a time of 18:09 on the 3 mile course!