Hit or Error?

Coach Shelton

A pleyer bunts to start the game. 1st and 3rd charge to make the play. 2nd moves to cover and then runs into the umpire. Since the umpire is part of the playing field is it a hit or an error.

No way possible to tell if he would have been safe or out. Then the catcher throws anyway (to the outfield). THe runner advances to second on a errant thrrow. Never seen this before.

Anywhere this is defined?

What about an outfield who slides to make a catch? It hits his glove on the slide? Hit or error? Or does it depend on the play? (He did have to slide and the ball was in front of him)

I went with error but am second guessing this one. The first one I don't know.

A pleyer bunts to start the game. 1st and 3rd charge to make the play. 2nd moves to cover and then runs into the umpire. Since the umpire is part of the playing field is it a hit or an error.

No way possible to tell if he would have been safe or out. Then the catcher throws anyway (to the outfield). THe runner advances to second on a errant thrrow. Never seen this before.

What about an outfield who slides to make a catch? It hits his glove on the slide? Hit or error? Or does it depend on the play? (He did have to slide and the ball was in front of him)

I would say hit on both. The second one I don't see how you can charge an error to somone who is sliding/diving for a ball. That is beyond routine and even though he probably could have caught it, I would still go with hit.

The first one is in a little more of a grey area but since you said "No way possible to tell if he would have been safe or out", that would make me lean towards hit. You can't assume someone out. Same prinicipal as a double play, you can't assume the double play and charge an error to a ss/2nd on a bad throw to first. Advancing to second on an errant throw would probably earn an error.

The first one, thats a little confusing. but from how you described, a hit.

But the second one is without a doubt a hit. any play where a player HAS to dive isn't considered an error.

Thanks guys. We try to keep very accurate stats even though we lost the game.

I had a parent ask me about this last night ...Cookevilles SS went deep behind third toget to a ball and then bobbled it he was trying to say error i was like who was he going to throw out?

here is a rule of thumb i go by if you have to ask if it was a hit or error then it was a hit...ITS ORDINARY EFFORT a player going deep in the hole or diving to the ground to get a ball is not ordinary effort

Most plays in every game are easily discernable as a hit or an error. There are usually going to be 2 or 3 that could go either way and it is a judgement call. The key is to use the same judgement for every player on both teams.

As stated, if it would have taken a great play to get the out, do not reward great effort by a fielder almost making a great play and call it an error. Also, if the runner would have been safe anyway, disregard the boot unless it gives them an extra base (as in bunts, slow rollers and balls in the hole)--sometimes this is obvious and sometime it is a judgement call. If throw is wild or first baseman drops the ball, if the runner has beaten the play, it is a hit and an error only if the overthrow allows an extra base.

A play that may be made using "ordinary effort" but is not made, is considered en error. That's the best answer for your sliding outfielder question since I didn't see it.

In terms of the muffed bunt coverage (the umpire issue is really not germaine), the error should go the player who was to have covered the base if it is clear to the scorer who that player was. Other wise, the catcher threw to an uncovered base and gets the error. The scorer may, under the rules, attempt to find out who was responsible for the coverage at first and has up to 24 hours from the end of the game to change his/her call.