Coach Darden Out at CAK

shnikens

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone applied for this job?

I think this will be a good opportunity for anyone that applies. It is a great atmosphere to coach in and has the huge advantage of having your feeder system in a gym that is 50yds away. I think Coach Darden had a very tough job in competing in a tough district with basically what would have been a JV team. I think the success of some of the other teams at CAK raised the expectations to somewhat unachievable levels for the basketball team. Coach Darden will be fine and maybe better off in the long run.

From a competitors standpoint, give the next coach all your support or you could quickly find a program that will struggle to recover. Remember, it's not going to be a fault of the new coach that Darden was let go.

I think this will be a good opportunity for anyone that applies. It is a great atmosphere to coach in and has the huge advantage of having your feeder system in a gym that is 50yds away. I think Coach Darden had a very tough job in competing in a tough district with basically what would have been a JV team. I think the success of some of the other teams at CAK raised the expectations to somewhat unachievable levels for the basketball team. Coach Darden will be fine and maybe better off in the long run.

From a competitors standpoint, give the next coach all your support or you could quickly find a program that will struggle to recover. Remember, it's not going to be a fault of the new coach that Darden was let go.

Good observations IrishBball. The best one you made is that CAK should give their next coach ALL of their support. Too bad Coach Darden received very little. In fact, this job will be a good opportunity for anyone that applies ONLY if that person gets the support he deserves. It will be a good atmostphere to coach in, also, if CAK changes its priorities, namely, letting the basketball program use the gym whenever they want OR building a new gym just for basketball with NO stage in it.

I have been part of this basketball program for about 8 years now. When I started we had a very talented team who underachieved because we had a coach who did not push us how we needed to be pushed and players who cared more about what the CAK basketball program could do for them than what they could do for the program. If we had had Coach Darden those two years I can almost guarantee that some of the people who played would not have. They were talented basketball players but overall they were more harm to the team than good. When Coach Darden came everything was different. Those of us who wanted to be there did what he said and did it as hard as we could because he made us believe that that is what it took. During those years there were people in the high school who could have played basketball, and to the outside observer would have seemingly made a positive difference for the team. But no one said anything because, hey we won 26 games or whatever and went to state (never mind that the competition was less than what they are playing against now). There was even very little fuss made over the dismissal of the 6th man mid way through the season. We put our trust in the Coach that he knew what was best and look where it got us. Now, back to the present. If there were students in the high school who could have made a contribution to the basketball team but didn??™t because of Coach Darden then I don??™t understand how or why anyone would want that kind of player. If you don??™t love the game enough to put up with a coach then you shouldn??™t play, and that should be OK. For a team to succeed they have to have passion and they have to have chemistry. If some players care less than others they bring the team down. Athleticism is not the only thing a basketball player or team needs. The team first and foremost needs to be a team. They need to be brothers and learn to work together to achieve a common goal. Again, if someone can simply give up basketball because of a coach then they do not have the fire that they need and in the long run it is better for the team that they are not on the bench but in the stands. An exception would be if the coach is over the top abusive or somehow offends the players or at least gives them a good excuse not to play. From what I??™ve heard no one quit because they got yelled at, they quit because they didn??™t play as much as they wanted to. Either way, I think it is safe to assume, after seeing all the positive response from past players, that there is nothing about the man Johnny Darden that would qualify as an acceptable excuse for someone to give up a sport that they love or to even not play in the first place. The team this year was young and had their problems, but I would argue that Coach Darden helped the basketball program in the long run. The kids who wanted to be there were there, and regardless of what happened this year, next year those kids are going to be better than they would have been if they had had uncommitted juniors and seniors leading them. If Coach Darden had never come to CAK then yeah, maybe some more players would have played, but it would have been the same situation as my sophomore year (2002-2003) when a team with more talent than any CAK team I have ever heard of, underachieved because of a few talented kids who didn??™t REALLY care about basketball. I??™m sad to see this happen because I know that my last string connecting me to CAK basketball just got fired, and that I will probably no longer have an affiliation with the team that I use to love. That being said, I wish the best for next year??™s team (most of whom I have coached before). I know you guys aren??™t lazy. Also, best of luck to the new coach. Most importantly, Coach Darden, I am a different man because of you as I know so many others are too. You deserve the best and I hope you find it. I will be praying that you do.

2004-2005

State Tournament in single A

2005-2006

4-6 in 4AA

2006-2007

3-9 in 4AA

2007-2008

2-10 in 4AA

2008-2009

0-12 in 4AA

Take the transfer of Novikov (sp.?) out of the mix and 9-37 over the past four years you can see why changes might have been in order. It's not all about winning but it certainly plays a part especially when your other programs are on the rise.

I have Known Johnny Darden well for several years, and I am proud to have him for a friend. Johnny is a strong Christian and really cares for young people and children. I watched him at Rule High School where he took some disadvantaged kids and molded them into productive citizens by not only setting a positive example, but getting them scholorships to colleges. He has not changed today--he continues to really care, but he does expect, maybe demand, each kid do their best and give their all.He has high standards for himself and exhibits this to all he comes in contact with.

I am sure there are some kids and parents who can't, or won't, live up to Johnny's standards. They want the easy way but exoect to "reap the glory" and play in every game. This influences the AD and some board members, especially when monetary gains are threatened.

I am sorry that Johnny lost his job, however, knowing Johnny like I do, I believe in my heart it was not God's plan for him to stay at CAK. Johnny will prosper and never take the easy way, he will be in God's will

Lets keep this brief and get the real issue at hand.

Dear Parents,

Stop living vicariously through your high school kid. You are enabling the attitude of entitlement through complaining. You need to realize we do not care about your kid's problem, crying in the showers, etc. You need to stop coddling your child and help them own up to the fact they are not good at everything. Sorry but your kid blows...there I said it.

Dear Administration,

Own up to your own morals and not let overly zealous parents run the school. Dont let parents dictate every administrative decision whether academic or athletic. Please gain a backbone and do something not influence by the increase/decrease of the bank account.

Dear Kids,

For those who did not complain, there is hope for you yet. For those who had "problems" well...did it ever cross your mind that you aren't good? Maybe your parents have been lying to you for a long time because they can't handle the truth (Thanks Jack Nicholson). Maybe you should try out for the dodgeball team.

Lets keep this brief and get the real issue at hand.

Dear Parents,

Stop living vicariously through your high school kid. You are enabling the attitude of entitlement through complaining. You need to realize we do not care about your kid's problem, crying in the showers, etc. You need to stop coddling your child and help them own up to the fact they are not good at everything. Sorry but your kid blows...there I said it.

Dear Administration,

Own up to your own morals and not let overly zealous parents run the school. Dont let parents dictate every administrative decision whether academic or athletic. Please gain a backbone and do something not influence by the increase/decrease of the bank account.

Dear Kids,

For those who did not complain, there is hope for you yet. For those who had "problems" well...did it ever cross your mind that you aren't good? Maybe your parents have been lying to you for a long time because they can't handle the truth (Thanks Jack Nicholson). Maybe you should try out for the dodgeball team.

This synopsis is remarkably accurate, Sultan. Thanks for the insight.

Take the transfer of Novikov (sp.?) out of the mix and 9-37 over the past four years you can see why changes might have been in order. It's not all about winning but it certainly plays a part especially when your other programs are on the rise.

if football actually moved up to 3A like they should have, you wouldnt be able to say they'd be on the rise.

theyd get killed EVERY GAME. sort of like an alcoa game every week.

and by the way you missed a win in 07-08