Opinions on an umpires call that decided a game

FridayMainEvent

Situation:

Cascade is ahead of Richland by one run in the top of the seventh inning. Richland has bases loaded with 1 out. Ground ball is fielded and thrown to catcher who is standing on the plate. Umpire rules that catcher was standing in a way on the plate that "obstructed" the runner and called her safe siting "defensive obstruction". Did I mention this was a FORCE OUT and the catcher was clearly standing on the plate. Run counted and game was tied. Next batter hit into a ground out that should of ended game. Next batter K'd. Richland took a 3 run lead in the next inning and Cascade countered with 3 runs in the bottom of their 8th. Game was eventually decided when Richland catcher hit her second Home run of the game in the top of the 9th. Great game and hard fought by both teams. Just hate that (what I felt was) a terrible call decided the game for Richland.

Opinions?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, if it was a force it shouldn't have made a difference where the catcher was standing, as long as she was touching the plate. Just my opinion. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I agree, Nan. Been coaching for a long time and don't remember an obstruction call ever being made on a force out. That is typically only made when a player is blocking a plate or base before receiving the ball and is almost always called on an out requiring a tag. Or if a player, normally a 1st or 3rd baseman is standing in the base path while a runner is running bases. WHY WOULD ANYONE OBSTRUCT A BASE ON A FORCE OUT!!!!!!!!!

Situation:

Cascade is ahead of Richland by one run in the top of the seventh inning. Richland has bases loaded with 1 out. Ground ball is fielded and thrown to catcher who is standing on the plate. Umpire rules that catcher was standing in a way on the plate that "obstructed" the runner and called her safe siting "defensive obstruction". Did I mention this was a FORCE OUT and the catcher was clearly standing on the plate. Run counted and game was tied. Next batter hit into a ground out that should of ended game. Next batter K'd. Richland took a 3 run lead in the next inning and Cascade countered with 3 runs in the bottom of their 8th. Game was eventually decided when Richland catcher hit her second Home run of the game in the top of the 9th. Great game and hard fought by both teams. Just hate that (what I felt was) a terrible call decided the game for Richland.

Opinions?

Cascade11,

Sound like a controversy to me. I read a lot on coacht and post very little, and usually laugh at several of your posts. before I give an opinion on this one though, I have two questions. Was the catcher standing on home plate waiting on the throw? Did the runner have access to the plate without having to slide? (There is no slide rule in softball) When I read your answer, I'll let you know whether the umpire was right or wrong.

IMO, if it was a force it shouldn't have made a difference where the catcher was standing, as long as she was touching the plate. Just my opinion. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Cascade11 we were just takin about umpires last night at the park. One of the comments were that sometimes umps just make a mistake. Well I was watchin this game this year and the ump in the field blew a call on interference of a runner goin to third. Then the same ump blows a call at third base on a tag. Well the ump in the field made the comments to me later that he only blew two calls in the game and he has seen him miss more than that in several games, but he is still making calls.

The T$$AA does not have a evaluation plan in for coaches to give a feed back to the T$$AA on their officals. Yes you can tell the supervisor of officals about your concerns but that is no guarantee you will get him/her removed or that he will become a better an offical.

I was at an game earlier this year and I heard a parent yell at the ump, no cussin, no disrespect, just a parent being a parent and this older ump stopped the game and threw the parent out of the game......talkin about having rabbit ears.....but this ump is known to all to have rabbit ears and he must ALWAYS be right. Hmmm my mama "Betty Sue" told me that the church that we went to that no one was perfect except one man I guess she must have not known about this ump because he is ALWAYS right to. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Cascade11,

Sound like a controversy to me. I read a lot on coacht and post very little, and usually laugh at several of your posts. before I give an opinion on this one though, I have two questions. Was the catcher standing on home plate waiting on the throw? Did the runner have access to the plate without having to slide? (There is no slide rule in softball) When I read your answer, I'll let you know whether the umpire was right or wrong.

Glad you find my posts humorous. The catcher was set up to receive throw at the front of the plate. She did have to reach back toward the back stop to receive the throw which was slightly off line. The key to me is the throw still beat the runner to the plate which would negate an obstruction on a force out. Very similar to a throw pulling the first baseman up the line.

Cascade11 we were just takin about umpires last night at the park. One of the comments were that sometimes umps just make a mistake. Well I was watchin this game this year and the ump in the field blew a call on interference of a runner goin to third. Then the same ump blows a call at third base on a tag. Well the ump in the field made the comments to me later that he only blew two calls in the game and he has seen him miss more than that in several games, but he is still making calls.

The T$AA does not have a evaluation plan in for coaches to give a feed back to the T$AA on their officals. Yes you can tell the supervisor of officals about your concerns but that is no guarantee you will get him/her removed or that he will become a better an offical.

I was at an game earlier this year and I heard a parent yell at the ump, no cussin, no disrespect, just a parent being a parent and this older ump stopped the game and threw the parent out of the game......talkin about having rabbit ears.....but this ump is known to all to have rabbit ears and he must ALWAYS be right. Hmmm my mama "Betty Sue" told me that the church that we went to that no one was perfect except one man I guess she must have not known about this ump because he is ALWAYS right to. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Would that particular ump be short and stocky in stature?

Have you been in my trailer lately????? You must have been lookin at our crystal ball! How did you know?? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I not only know who you are talking about, but I know what school his kid played at. Everyone says the same thing. I've had him in travel ball also. He isn't the guy we had last night though. The guy last night normally does a good job in my opinion. I just felt he blew this one call that eventually cost Cascade the game. It happens and you move on. I was just wondering if I was correct in my assessment of what he did.

I not only know who you are talking about, but I know what school his kid played at. Everyone says the same thing. I've had him in travel ball also. He isn't the guy we had last night though. The guy last night normally does a good job in my opinion. I just felt he blew this one call that eventually cost Cascade the game. It happens and you move on. I was just wondering if I was correct in my assessment of what he did.

Sounds like you are right to me! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I agree, Nan. Been coaching for a long time and don't remember an obstruction call ever being made on a force out. That is typically only made when a player is blocking a plate or base before receiving the ball and is almost always called on an out requiring a tag. Or if a player, normally a 1st or 3rd baseman is standing in the base path while a runner is running bases. WHY WOULD ANYONE OBSTRUCT A BASE ON A FORCE OUT!!!!!!!!!

Cascade,

Amen....umpire must have been caught up in the moment. No reason for the call.

Cascade,

Amen....umpire must have been caught up in the moment. No reason for the call.

Yep, I got caught up one time with "Birdie" and her mama.....now talkin about trouble you have no idea what trouble is until you get two fat women mad! But I tell my bride that, because until you have luv a fat woman you do not know what luv is! I luv you /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />"Birdie" /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />