Home Schoolers playing in HS

MVM

The "perks" (ball fields, gymnasiums, tracks, uniforms, etc) are paid for by the citizens of Tennessee. A child doesn't earn the right to participate in a varsity sport by merely attending school. He has to make the team just like any other homeschooler who shows up to participate.

It's as if you're trying to punish children because they've exercised their constitutional right to be home schooled and now you're saying to them, we're going to punish you for that decision by limiting your use of a public education facility and extracurricular activity.

Constitutional right for extracurricular activities??? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Now thats a strong argument. Maybe we can use this argument when the local school boards start reducing sport programs and art classes in public schools because of lack of funds.

I think home schoolers use their constitutional rights to be educated at home.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's as if you're trying to punish children because they've exercised their constitutional right to be home schooled and now you're saying to them, we're going to punish you for that decision by limiting your use of a public education facility and extracurricular activity. "

My sentiments exactley!

I'm kind of torn... I see points on both sides.

As one post said, they always have club soccer. But playing for school pride is different. BUT, are they playing for school pride, if they are homeschooled? Sure, I guess. Just a different type of school pride.

Another argument is that on game days, home school kids could rest up all day, and be better prepared than students who are in class all day, or undergoing testing or quizzes. Plus the stress and hassle of student life comes into play on game days, too. Is that fair? I don't know.

I also see if from a "cut" standpoint. I think parents could have a valid argument if their child was cut for a homeschool student.

But what about umbrella students? Are they students of that school that they umbrella under? If they are, then can't they play for that school? What quantifies enrollment? Is it defined somewhere? I know at CAK, one must attend at least 4 classes on a day that you have a game or practice, in order to attend that game or practice. How would you judge that for home school?

Would a fully homeschool team, like the fire, compete in D-1 or D-2? They don't have scholarships. Wouldn't that put them in D-1? Oh, I can see Ref now... he would have a new favorite target! Isn't that like having a club team in a school league? Again, I don't know.

As someone else said, the TSSAA is going to have to deal with this soon. The fire is very talented. They will want to play against good teams. Should they be a TSSAA sanctioned team?

I have so many more questions than answers on this issue. I have the utmost respecct for the Fire. I think they are doing some awesome things. I just don't know where they should "be".

LOVE this topic. Makes my brain work!

If the TSSAA was forced to let the home-school team play (through the courts or state govt.) Then they would in my opinion have to go into AAA. There would be no geographic zone thus there are an enormous number of kids who would be eligible, much larger than a A or AA school. Thus, AAA. Then what district do they get placed in?

I just don't think you could put a home-school team in. Now allowing home-schoolers to play at individual schools would be easier logistically at a sate level but create more stress on individual teams and coaches.

Either way I think its a bad move. I think the best situation is to leave it as is. Have teams like the Fire who can compete with all the schools during the season but no way should they get into the playoffs.

One issue with the Fire is they have no end of the year tournament to play for a championship. How hard is it to stay motivated all season when your games don't move you toward a destination.

Since Tennessee plays boys soccer in the spring and most of the country plays boys high school soccer in the fall. The Fire does not have an end of the season championship to play for even in homeschool circles.

I know it would be a headache but why not let them play in Division II? That way the public schools wouldn't be affected.

My intent is not to offend but to let people look at things from a different perspective. (The Players)

To soccertime.

As to putting the Fire into Division II I don't see that happening. The definition of Division II is a school that charges a tuition and has financial aid. Not to sound snippy but the home school team doesn't fit any part of the definition of a Division II team.

I think the only logical place for them would be AAA in division 1. As to what district: I suppose there is some sort of headquarters for the MTHSEA. It may not be an actual building but they should have a mailing adderss/ PO box. Whatever location it is that's the district they are in. So if they are 'headquartered' in Nashville then they would be in a district with McGavock/ Overton/ H. LAne. If in Williamson then they would be with Brentwood, Centennial. In Wilson Co they would be with Mt.Juliet etc.

It would be very unfair for a school the size of FRA or MTCS or Forrest (300 students) to compete with a home school team that could in theory have up to 1500 eligible players. AAA is the only place if the TSSAA was forced to add a home school team for the playoffs

One issue with the Fire is they have no end of the year tournament to play for a championship. How hard is it to stay motivated all season when your games don't move you toward a destination.

Since Tennessee plays boys soccer in the spring and most of the country plays boys high school soccer in the fall. The Fire does not have an end of the season championship to play for even in homeschool circles.

I know it would be a headache but why not let them play in Division II? That way the public schools wouldn't be affected.

My intent is not to offend but to let people look at things from a different perspective. (The Players)

Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner.

Panther,

If it just tuition and financial aid? Then we would need to know how the Fire are funded. Do they run it like a club team and the cost is split amongst the players? That would equate to tuition. Most club teams also have something in place for players who can't pay the full bill. That would be financial aid.

I would still rather they are allowed to tryout for the high school team to which they are zoned. If the coach of the team does not want them for any reason they don't make the team.

Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner.

I don't think it's that easy. You can't just throw somebody into D-2 because they don't fit into the public school "setting". D-2 is about financial aid. Not about being private.

Now, saying that, it would create MUCH less explosiveness putting them in D-2 than in D-1.

I'm with soccer dad. The only way I see this eventually panning out is that they try out for the school they are zoned in. It will be tough to handle, though. With open zoned schools, or private school umbrellas, there is a whole can of worms to be opened.

What about the home school co-op school? Are they a sanctioned educational facility? Could THEY put a team together?

I don't think it's that easy. You can't just throw somebody into D-2 because they don't fit into the public school "setting". D-2 is about financial aid. Not about being private.

Now, saying that, it would create MUCH less explosiveness putting them in D-2 than in D-1.

I'm with soccer dad. The only way I see this eventually panning out is that they try out for the school they are zoned in. It will be tough to handle, though. With open zoned schools, or private school umbrellas, there is a whole can of worms to be opened.

What about the home school co-op school? Are they a sanctioned educational facility? Could THEY put a team together?

G if you give aide you are private.