Cannon County

Gridiron88

Outsider52, I have never said that I know it all, nor do I believe I know it all. I am continually trying to learn more and I have lots more to learn and I look forward to learning more. And I would never try and give the new coach x's and o's suggestions, I am by no means a football coach. I am knowlegable in sports administration and sports management. My suggestions deal with changing the culture of the program and the athletic department in general and promoting the program and growing excitement and enthusiasm around the program. I hope he is very successdul here and the reason I have these suggestions is becasue they are alomost all tried and true, yet we have rarely ever tried them at Cannon Co. and that is what I want to change. It is true that I am just a student an have never ran a program by myself but the people I have learned from have and they are all very successful and I only wish to bring there philosophy's and strategies mixed with a few of my own ideas to fit the program here at Cannon Co.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that we did pretty good last week against White Co. I was wondering if anyone had the details. Also heard that Grizwald had to step down, not sure of the reason. From reading the post I see too much worrying about basketball on a football posting site! I just want our program to be successful and it is football season right now. As far as I am concerned, basketball could start the week after state championships.

Outsider (looking in), why would you question anyone trying to improve themselves or increase thier knowledge and work towards a career path they would enjoy. the young man is doing everything he can to ensure Cannon County is successful. I thought he did well in his AAU role this past season. They won several games..(look it up). I see him at every sporting event he can attend and he defines what a true fan shoud be.....He gets out and supports where the rest of us sit here and type.... the best thing you could do is find someone else to barter with cause you are way out of your leauge talking with Wildcat...You would be better off picking on me...

As for Rigsby, Shrek could watch what he has done over the last year and learn alot..He hasn't said the basketball players couldn't play football, he left it up to the players to decide. As for his involvement in the lower ranks of basketball he has been to every venue in Cannon County, I have seen him out supporting the younger players in AAU from Crossville to Fayetteville and every stop in between.

I haven't seen Shrek anywhere except the School. Spent sometime hanging out with JR lions last couple of weeks...Shrek was practicing from 7 to 12 one of those weeks, didn't see him at Jr lions, the following week Shrek's practices ended at 6:00, JR lions practice from 600 to 800, didn't see a sign of Shrek...You figure there is 100 or so parents (future supporters and booster club memebers) watching the kids practice. where is Shrek????

ENOUGH SAID....KIM I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY AT WOODLAND WHILE WE DEAL WITH YOUR ISSUES!!!!!!!

Spy, I think the issues lie deeper than hiring a coach. First of all, the Athletic director should asume some of that responsibility since they were in on the hire. Shrek has yet to prove himself as a coach here, and until he does I think we should give him a chance to be successful. Parsley may have not had that many apply for this job when it was posted, and some of the other candidates were very little expreienced. I have being reading all the threads and you seem so angry, but offer little solutions to our troubles. We can't do anything about the X's and O's, but we can do other things.

I heard that we did pretty good last week against White Co. I was wondering if anyone had the details. Also heard that Grizwald had to step down, not sure of the reason. From reading the post I see too much worrying about basketball on a football posting site! I just want our program to be successful and it is football season right now. As far as I am concerned, basketball could start the week after state championships.

It was pretty impressive for the first full padded scrimmage, it ended up 8-4 in Cannons Favor. The offense looked a little sloppy at first but got better. I have to say its been picked up great, Cannon County scored 4 times in 8 plays. And the defense forced 3 turnovers and looked fairly good.

But onto Coach Grizwolds, he did step down wednesday. All that was said was he had a couple of personal issues he had to deal with and I agree competely on the basketball comment haha.

Outsider (looking in), why would you question anyone trying to improve themselves or increase thier knowledge and work towards a career path they would enjoy. the young man is doing everything he can to ensure Cannon County is successful. I thought he did well in his AAU role this past season. They won several games..(look it up). I see him at every sporting event he can attend and he defines what a true fan shoud be.....He gets out and supports where the rest of us sit here and type.... the best thing you could do is find someone else to barter with cause you are way out of your leauge talking with Wildcat...You would be better off picking on me...

As for Rigsby, Shrek could watch what he has done over the last year and learn alot..He hasn't said the basketball players couldn't play football, he left it up to the players to decide. As for his involvement in the lower ranks of basketball he has been to every venue in Cannon County, I have seen him out supporting the younger players in AAU from Crossville to Fayetteville and every stop in between.

I haven't seen Shrek anywhere except the School. Spent sometime hanging out with JR lions last couple of weeks...Shrek was practicing from 7 to 12 one of those weeks, didn't see him at Jr lions, the following week Shrek's practices ended at 6:00, JR lions practice from 600 to 800, didn't see a sign of Shrek...You figure there is 100 or so parents (future supporters and booster club memebers) watching the kids practice. where is Shrek????

ENOUGH SAID....KIM I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY AT WOODLAND WHILE WE DEAL WITH YOUR ISSUES!!!!!!!

Spy, I think the issues lie deeper than hiring a coach. First of all, the Athletic director should asume some of that responsibility since they were in on the hire. Shrek has yet to prove himself as a coach here, and until he does I think we should give him a chance to be successful. Parsley may have not had that many apply for this job when it was posted, and some of the other candidates were very little expreienced. I have being reading all the threads and you seem so angry, but offer little solutions to our troubles. We can't do anything about the X's and O's, but we can do other things.

The athletic director when Coach Schrenk was hired was Mr. Knox who is now the principal, and he was not even told that coach Bartsch was being fired so evidently he was not allowed much say so in the hiring process, but I do agree the AD should have the responsibility when it comes to athletic decisions. There were actually alot of candidates that applied for the job, including several from some very powereful, winning programs and I think the point spy was trying to make is that he would rather have had an unproven assistant from a power program, instead of a head coach that had a losing record. As far as the basketball comments, all we have all been saying is that waht coach Dodgen and Coach Rigsby have been doing is proving to be very successful, and maybe Coach Schrenk should follow there model. Schrenk has yet to prove himself as a head coach period not just here, but he could be successful IF he is willing to change his methods and find an enthusiastic style that is attractive to fans and prospective players, and condition the players like championship programs do and change the culture of the program here. Pre-season polls came out in DNJ today Cannon was picked to finish last. Lets hope that proves to be wrong!

I guess I would do the same as Dodgen and Rigsby, but football cannot do what basketball is doing. Lets evaluate. Basketball: Summer, workouts, camp, scrimmages. Fall, practice begins in basketball class and kids shoot around. Season, practice, games. Christmas tournament. Season ends. AAU begins, using HS Gym and facilities to promote a travel league. AAU ends, Spring practice.

Football: Summer workouts, no pads allowed. passing leagues during summer. Fall, season games until middle of November. Mandatory 2 week dead period after season. Spring, workouts begin. Spring practice with two scrimmages allowed. School ends.

Lets see, football does have a class, but they cannot practice during off season, nor do they have the county pay for their playing surface, of which Jr. Lions play, Cannon County Youth Football play on.

Lets at least admit that basketball is not as hard to administer in Cannon County as football is.

BTW. Football does not even have a practice field! Can't blame the coach when facilities are lopsided as they are here.

I guess I would do the same as Dodgen and Rigsby, but football cannot do what basketball is doing. Lets evaluate. Basketball: Summer, workouts, camp, scrimmages. Fall, practice begins in basketball class and kids shoot around. Season, practice, games. Christmas tournament. Season ends. AAU begins, using HS Gym and facilities to promote a travel league. AAU ends, Spring practice.

Football: Summer workouts, no pads allowed. passing leagues during summer. Fall, season games until middle of November. Mandatory 2 week dead period after season. Spring, workouts begin. Spring practice with two scrimmages allowed. School ends.

Lets see, football does have a class, but they cannot practice during off season, nor do they have the county pay for their playing surface, of which Jr. Lions play, Cannon County Youth Football play on.

Lets at least admit that basketball is not as hard to administer in Cannon County as football is.

BTW. Football does not even have a practice field! Can't blame the coach when facilities are lopsided as they are here.

Basketball no longer has a class and they have mandatory dead periods just like football, and the players have to take it upon themselves to get together and work. I agree that football is a bit tougher to manage from a facilities standpoint, but with a new athletic director and new coach there will certainly and hopefully be upgrades on the way. The team did look good tonite on defense and the offense looked good in spurts, considering the rain i thought it was a good performance against a 6A team. All in all I was pleasently surprised. Now if coach Schrenk just gets the enthusiasm up and coaches with more excitement and passion and creates a buzz that attracts more players he can be successful here.

A scrimmage is a scrimmage. Did they do special teams? Did they go down and distance? Were coaches on the field? Unless the scrimmage is like a preseason game, they can be pretty worthless when it comes to seeing how your team stacks up. I remember a few years ago watching us play South Pittsburg in a scrimmage and we beat SP by a touchdown! They go on to win 1A title and we go 6-5! I agree with with wildcat about the enthusiasim, and that needs to be inspired by the head coach. However, if you surround yourself with coaches who are not enthusiactic, then that is a hard thing to get started. P-Spy, what are your predictions of this years seasons? Anyone else can throw their thoughts in here too! BTW. Rigsby does not have to work hard to sell his program when it sells itself, even though its been over 10 years since a district win!

A scrimmage is a scrimmage. Did they do special teams? Did they go down and distance? Were coaches on the field? Unless the scrimmage is like a preseason game, they can be pretty worthless when it comes to seeing how your team stacks up. I remember a few years ago watching us play South Pittsburg in a scrimmage and we beat SP by a touchdown! They go on to win 1A title and we go 6-5! I agree with with wildcat about the enthusiasim, and that needs to be inspired by the head coach. However, if you surround yourself with coaches who are not enthusiactic, then that is a hard thing to get started. P-Spy, what are your predictions of this years seasons? Anyone else can throw their thoughts in here too! BTW. Rigsby does not have to work hard to sell his program when it sells itself, even though its been over 10 years since a district win!
As far as the football team this season I believe that they can win 3-4 games which I would consider a sucess considering the coaching turnover the last few seasons, and the head coach has to lead by example, if he is enthusiastic his players will follow. As far as the basketball comment, you evidently do not follow the program, the lions won 5 district games last year and finished 4th, and that was there highest finish since 2003. And Coach Rigsby puts in many long hours, in order to get this program where it needs to be. Before he got here we had been thru 3 coaches, and there was no stability. He and Coach Dodgen work very hard to sell there programs they have organized a golf scramble in September and perhaps you mite want to drop by the gym and see the renovated lobby, the new floor, and the renovated locker room, thanks to our coaches and hard working volunteers who belive in Coach Rigsby and Coach Dodgen basketball has made tremendous strides. So please keep posting, but before you knock basketball again check your facts!

My prediction (i hate to say) is at best 4-6...I hate to say this cause the kids who are playing are reading this.... It really depends on how well the D-coordinator schemes against the region teams. I watched the video on cannonwire, after talking to someone who was at the scrimmage. The person at the game said they looked great. Shelbyville is not a good team...period. Just from the amatuer video I saw a lot of items which scare me. My first question is why isn't # 7 playing QB...I think 14 will do a good job, but I (IMO) see him a better threat catching and running verses playing QB....14 is a good great athlete and would serve his team better catching and running... 14 you are a good QB, who has learned a new system quickly, but i think i would rather get the ball in your hands and let you do your thing, verse throwing it to someone else.

With that said I want to say hats off to the boys (young men) who are playing...3rd coach in three years and you haven't given up....Congrats to you for sticking with it, it will pay off in the long run...

So keep your heads up and don't pay attention to what the old farts on this site write...go out and prove me wrong and make the playoffs...

Andrew Woodin is the qb...#12. And i believe they got him and #7 right where they need to be. Lee has good hands and needs to be split out. And wildcat as far as them knocking basketball, I dont think they meant district wins. Im going to guess they were referrring to district titles.

Wildcat, you say it all in the way you respond when you talk about basketball. 5 disctrict wins in basketball would be like winning 1 region game in football. So, I guess I did get my facts straight! As far as Dodgen and Rigsby working hard, I would agree. Coach Dodgen is a great players coach and has develped the talent dealt to him, which has been pretty good as of lately. He also well respected in the district and state as a coach. Rigsby is a hometown guy who has seen the ups and downs of the program and I am sure he will do a good job in the future. As for the floor in the gym, it must be nice to get enough from the school board to cover the expense, which inturn gives them money to redo the front of the gym. The school board, as far as I know, paid 40,000 for the slab at the fieldhouse and about 5,000 for the mower that softball uses as well. I heard the floor cost 100,000 to put in,(IMO) lousy color schemes, so I figure that if the school board wanted, they could at least put some bathrooms and another concession stand at the football field since they like to hold graduation cerimonies and such there. They could put money into the stands, which were never done right to begin with, that is the reason they cannot put the seats in right because the stadium was constrained to save money. That's okay, outside sports are used to getting the short end of the stick in Cannon. Just ask the baseball team.