Cannon County

Gridiron88

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree except for the fact that Coach Barger had the numbers over 60 close to 70 when he left and there were still no playoff appearences, but there was vast improvement and a Bowl win. I firmly believe he was able to get so many players because of his personality. He hit the halls and was enthusiastic and was completely dedicated to turning the program around and he did. Look at Oakland before last year. They have an enrollment of over 1500 and they had less then 50 players and a 3-7 record. They hire Thomas McDaniel young,enthusiastic, and motivated and he gets the numbers over 100 and a state championship. I am not saying that Cannon Co. would win a state championship, but maybe coach Schrenk should try and model himself after those types of coaches in order to get more players and to also generate more of an interest in the program. He should make himself more known to the students and prospective players and get involved with the jr high program and if they see how dedicated he is to changing the program and if he has an absolute passion for Cannon Co. football then that will be something people want to be apart of.

Yeah, thats true wildcat. But when Barger left and we had all these numbers. We were coming off our first winning season in a long time. Then Coach Bartsch came along and ran everyone off. And i would probably say that some of the kids were just fed up wiyh it. They think they gave it a shot. And it wasnt for them. SO they just dont want to even try again. Because lets face it. Kids dont want to be dedicated to anything no more. Its to much time consuming.

Dont put so much blame on Coach Bartsch. He tried to teach the players how things are done at the 6A level and thats how he tried to run the program and he did run a very well organzied program. Perhaps he wasn't a good fit here, but he was not the whole problem it was players who refused to listen to him as well. Anyway the point is I believe kids do want to be dedicated, but they want to have an exciting, enthusiastic coach who pushes them to be the best players they can be. Coach Schrenk has to become that type of coach in order to increase the number of players. People want to see and know that he has a passion for changing the program and being enthsiastic about it. He may have to totally change his coaching personality, but thats what type of coach players want to be around, they want to see an absoulte passion, because when they do it carries over to them. Again he needs to folllow the mold of coaches like Thomas MacDaniel who was able to generate so much excitement he got his team from 40 to 100 players. That is the type of coach that people want and Coach Schrenk can become that but he must be willing to accept new ways to reach players

I think the jury is out on McDaniel at Oakland. He had a senior laden team that had tons of experience. As for the players not listening, I think you are off base. Those kids were well disciplined. They did what was asked of them. Some people may be great assistant coaches but not good head coaches. I don't know what happened up there but there are good kids there that want to win. I think Bartsch ran a good program and should have been given more time. I think personality conflict was the issue. Good luck coach shrenk and the lions

I agree with you warrior it was a personality conflict, but your exactly right that coach Bartsch ran a good program, some players just refused to open up to his style, while most did and for that I do not blame the coach. Anyway my point was, that MacDaniel proved himself, by hitting the halls and being enthusiastic much like you did at Cannon and Sequatchie. MacDaniel actually did not lose a whole lot, he has a lot of seniors this year the talent pool is just much larger at Oakland. But to take a team from 3-7 to 14-1 I believe and a state championship in one year shows that you are one heck of a coach, once again much like you did at Cannon leading them to a winning record and like the job you are doing at Sequatchie. I'm just saying that in order for Coach Shrenk to get more players and more interest in the program he should follow the pattern of MacDaniel and even yourself. You were enthusiastic and exciting and you were totally sold out to making Cannon Co. football better and the players knew it and felt it just like MacDaniel is at Oakland and thats the type of coach players want to be around. You can not just tell players we will have fun, because lets face it, its only fun when your winning and improving the program, and I think Schrenk should model coaches like yourself who change cultures of programs by letting your vision of the program be known and letting your passion carry over to your players. If he will do these things more players will come, and he can become successful at Cannon Co. but he and the staff must be open to following the model of successful programs and that may mean changing there style completely. But I know this: If you do not change anything or learn every year the program will stay the same and you will be the exact same type of coach. Just because you have a different job or another year of experience doesn't make you a better coach. You must constantly try and find ways to improve style and your program or you will fall into mediocrity and the culture of a program is crushed when that happens

I agree pspy. If players or fans aren't interested that means what he is doing is not working so he must accept that, learn from it and change to something new. In today's sporting world you have to be successful in order to be cocky and he hasn't proven himself as a head coach yet. I fully believe he can become successful but he must be willing to change his ways and follow the models of other successful programs. He can not just assume that players will want to play for him based on his record, so like I have been saying he has to re-invent himself and change his tactics or he will be the same coach he was at Northwest unless you change and learn you are the same coach and person you were just at a different place. He can do that, and win the fans over and gain more players but he has to follow the model of successful programs and successful coaches. He has to market and sell the heck out of the program, people in today's world even in Cannon Co. aren't buying into the same old thing, they want to know what his vision for the program is and how he is building for the future and he has to show people that he has a passion to win at Cannon Co. , not just be a friend to the players or have fun, because if they are not winning they aren't having fun. So he has to make the choice to change his style and change the culture of the program or let it fall in to mediocrity or worse.

Whats the latest? How many kids do we have in the weight room? And how are they pickin up on the offense? I had a chance to talk to one of the coaches for a minute the other day, and he tol me a kink they were throwin the offense. Anxious to see how that works. And i hear the defense comin along well. This being the 2nd year under the d coordinator. Should be a strong defense. I cant wait till season to see how well all the hard work these boys have put in pays off!!!! GO LIONS!!!

Owls 1, now your user name suggest you are an Owls fan :D but your posts reflect you are a Lions fan :D How can a Lion fan be Owl 1 :D

scooter pooter....lay off the owl...he likes football, no matter where it is he is a fan....so lay off and enjoy the post.....

My my spypie - are we getting a little testy?

Spypie???????? Be careful Scoot. First mistake. You asked a simple question of a CC supporter relating to a Football thread, probably expecting a simple answer. Second mistake. Expecting the answer to be from owl1. Third mistake. Not Spypie.............Pattypeepers.

See, if you were a football fan in Cannon Co. you would be testy too. :roflolk:

scooter pooter....lay off the owl...he likes football, no matter where it is he is a fan....so lay off and enjoy the post.....

My my spypie - are we getting a little testy?

Spypie???????? Be careful Scoot. First mistake. You asked a simple question of a CC supporter relating to a Football thread, probably expecting a simple answer. Second mistake. Expecting the answer to be from owl1. Third mistake. Not Spypie.............Pattypeepers.

See, if you were a football fan in Cannon Co. you would be testy too. :hungry:

Yea, I guess Pattypeepers has his pannies in a wad because CC hasn't beat SC since he was born - also, his hero, Coach Mayfield, is no longer there.

I don't believe anyone is attempting to make this thread a CC vs SC situation. Yeah, we know if it wasn't for the town of Carthage we wouldn't have CoachT becuase there would be no internet, so for that you have our respect. You keep winning region titles and falling flat on your face in the post season. But hey, you get there and we don't so more respect for you guys from us!

BTW, ya'll were dumb enough to hire Mayfield just like us, so don't go there anymore.

Y

I don't believe anyone is attempting to make this thread a CC vs SC situation. Yeah, we know if it wasn't for the town of Carthage we wouldn't have CoachT becuase there would be no internet, so for that you have our respect. You keep winning region titles and falling flat on your face in the post season. But hey, you get there and we don't so more respect for you guys from us!

BTW, ya'll were dumb enough to hire Mayfield just like us, so don't go there anymore.

Well supporter I guess I have to agree with you.